• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Pre-Season GDT: Canes v. Bolts 9/18 7:00

I'm not disagreeing with you JB on Necas, he has to be given a real chance at the NHL level this season. Assuming the Canes are also seeing things that way, then a Gauthier grab of a roster spot almost has to spell the end of Brock McGinn. That would solve the concern about our tight cap situation as well even if Faulk ends up sticking around for a while.

Given his salary and numbers, McGinn probably isn't worth much more than a 3rd round pick or a lesser prospect if you are trading him straight up somewhere. He has the potential to be a 40 point guy if he finds the right situation somewhere else. I don't ever see him becoming that here.
Yeah ... I get that math, for sure. Problem being that McGinn is a core PK guy and you'd be replacing him with a kid that has no business anywhere near a penalty killing unit at this level.

Again, there are all first world problems. We're not used to this thing where the club might actually have to move a quality forward just because there are other quality forwards pushing them out. I honestly can't remember this kind of issue with the Hurricanes since the move. We sometimes under-utilized kids when they came up ... Kapanen, Battaglia and O'Neil spring to mind but that was ages ago ... but this? Nope.

As good as Gauthier has looked, he has yet to demonstrate he's there consistently. Let him be the first call up when someone goes down. I certainly would prefer that we trade Faulk before we scuttle McGinn. But I will say, that Gauthier size is intriguing and his play has been very good.

Alternately, you could reward his play with the extra roster forward spot and then work him in to a few games to see how it goes. He's still waiver exempt and fairly cheap.

One thing to keep in mind since the Canes are probably going to have to go with a thin roster, waiver exemption is going to be REALLY important this season. Gibbons, Bishop and McCormack need to stick where they land when camp breaks because they've got to clear to move.

Please do not ever save McGinn at the expense of the younger high end first round players like Necas and Gauthier that may "earn" a roster spot. As much as I love the grit and and work ethic of a guy like Brock McGinn, his ceiling is pretty much 30-35 points with a solid, consistent game penalty killing and blocking shots. Necas deserves every opportunity to show his stuff here all season long, let him grow playing NHL minutes. Gauthier still has tons of upside, his size and ability to play a power winger type of game is valuable, let him be that Saku Maenalanen sort of call up guy when needed this season. McGinn has been a good soldier here but he cannot continue to be the choice over first round draft picks that are ready to truly earn a roster spot with the big club if it comes down to roster spots on this team.

Last edited:
Just curious, why McGinn and not Martinook? They’re both going to be on the 4th line this year and have similar cap hits.

Martinook can play center (sort of). McGinn, not so much. With Williams not here, trading away Martinook would be more problematic to me than trading away McGinn.

Honestly, I wouldn't like see Williams and Martinook removed from the leadership group at basically the same time. Marty means a lot in that room, from what I can gather. I think that's more to do with preferring McGinn to give way over Martinook than anything else. Oh, and the part where McGinn really is over-paid for the value he delivers at this point. He's dead useful, but $2.1 million is a fairly steep price to pay for his very specific services.

Martinook was a great pickup. He really does bring everything you want in a player who doesn't oodle talent. He makes up for it a lot and is HUGE in that room. Losing Martinook would be a mistake. Besides, when healthy he's got some serious cycle to his game.

The more I think about it, outside of being concerned about bringing him along at a good pace, we _really_ could use that big body right hand shot in Gauthier. Stick him in front of the net on the PP. Mind you, after yesterday's facade trying to score 5-5 no goalie (laugh).....

The more I think about it, outside of being concerned about bringing him along at a good pace, we _really_ could use that big body right hand shot in Gauthier. Stick him in front of the net on the PP. Mind you, after yesterday's facade trying to score 5-5 no goalie (laugh).....

I agree, the upside on Gauthier is pretty good, right shot, big body guy that can go to the net in the dirty areas to make plays, affordable contract, which you need when you are pushing close to the cap ceiling...

Back