• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2019-20 Edition

Rolex

Canadiens Moderator
Quinn is something else, isn't he....perfect for today's NHL....perfect

Let's hope KK becomes a force at center
 

Sal_Butera

Well-known member
McGuire saying today a few teams are expected to be sold by present ownership - GMs being pressured into not taking players who are unsigned like Domi, and many owners have informed GMs to walk away from any player who is awarded an arbitration contract. Significant pressure by ownership to slash budgets - scouts, coaches, hockey ops to feel the brunt
 

GEEMAN

Well-known member
McGuire saying today a few teams are expected to be sold by present ownership - GMs being pressured into not taking players who are unsigned like Domi, and many owners have informed GMs to walk away from any player who is awarded an arbitration contract. Significant pressure by ownership to slash budgets - scouts, coaches, hockey ops to feel the brunt

Should be an interesting offseason
 

Sal_Butera

Well-known member
Should be an interesting offseason
Per Frank Seravalli of TSN 17-of-31 teams have significantly slashed payroll (hockey ops), now is the time for Habs to poach high end scouting talent of available, especially in areas of significant weakness for decades now - Quebec, Sweden, and Russia
 

GEEMAN

Well-known member
Per Frank Seravalli of TSN 17-of-31 teams have significantly slashed payroll (hockey ops), now is the time for Habs to poach high end scouting talent of available, especially in areas of significant weakness for decades now - Quebec, Sweden, and Russia

Hockey ops is a small budget portion

Its like trimming your Starbucks monthly bill with a 10k mortgage

If this continues teams cant function at max cap with gate revenues spiraling down

Something has to to give if this drags all year and into next year
 

Sal_Butera

Well-known member
Hockey ops is a small budget portion

Its like trimming your Starbucks monthly bill with a 10k mortgage

If this continues teams cant function at max cap with gate revenues spiraling down

Something has to to give if this drags all year and into next year
Amongst the 17-teams most of the Presidents, GMs, AGMs have apparently had to accept 20%+ pay cuts and many are about to be eliminated per McGuire.

BTW - Hockey Ops is a significant portion of the budget after player salaries, that includes charter flights, top end hotels and other SG&A spend
 

Sal_Butera

Well-known member
What makes you think the Habs aren't one of the 17 teams?

Six of the seven Canadian clubs have reduced the pay of staff members, including team presidents, general managers and coaches, team and league sources have told TSN. The Toronto Maple Leafs are the lone Canadian club to not reduce pay for staff to date. In all, at least 17 NHL clubs have reduced pay to hockey operations department staff members.
.
.
.
Montreal Canadiens: A 20 per cent reduction for all staff. Coaches were reinstated to full pay, but will only receive 80 per cent with the other 20 per cent to be paid at a later date.
 
Last edited:

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
I hear staff can get their 20% back upon purchase into the next Geoff Molson condo development.
 

Sal_Butera

Well-known member
The Anaheim Ducks, Philadelphia Flyers and Montreal Canadiens have shown interest in Laine in the past and it’s possible they reengaged in talks with the Jets this off-season, though it is unclear, at this point, which teams have spoken with Cheveldayoff about Laine.

It has been reported 24-year-old winger Nikolaj Ehlers is also attracting interest, though the belief is Winnipeg prefers to hold on to him and move Laine, instead – if the right deal presents itself.


Cheveldayoff is looking to bolster his roster this off-season by acquiring a second-line centre and at least one top-four defenceman either via trade or free agency.
 
Top