• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2019-20 Edition

GEEMAN

He‘s obviously familiar with both of them - Danault from his Hawks days. Apparently Jets have been interested in Domi for a while as well.

Problem with Domi is Jets are capped out , they don't want his new salary

Dano and Chariot at under 6.5 is better for them

I understand your logic of getting a sniper we haven't seen since Richer but now sure Nero will trade these character guys

Sal_Butera

Problem with Domi is Jets are capped out , they don't want his new salary

Dano and Chariot at under 6.5 is better for them

I understand your logic of getting a sniper we haven't seen since Richer but now sure Nero will trade these character guys
Everyone’s expecting to be a brutal offseason for UFAs seeking $ and term, in a limited revenue & flat cap NHL.

IMO it’s a mistake to overlook the significant impact lack of revenue will have on majority of NHL teams - most offseason moves IMO will be more akin to Expos fire sales vs legit hockey deals we’ve come to expect in recent memory. It’ll be all about $ in vs $ out.

Habs are uniquely positioned to put together low cost digestible package AND absorb opponents salary dump

Have teams are in a position to put the non-haves over a barrel. Let’s hope the Habs are one of the “have’s”....

GEEMAN

Everyone’s expecting to be a brutal offseason for UFAs seeking $ and term, in a limited revenue & flat cap NHL.

IMO it’s a mistake to overlook the significant impact lack of revenue will have on majority of NHL teams - most offseason moves IMO will be more akin to Expos fire sales vs legit hockey deals we’ve come to expect in recent memory. It’ll be all about $ in vs $ out.

Habs are uniquely positioned to put together low cost digestible package AND absorb opponents salary dump

Have teams are in a position to put the non-haves over a barrel. Let’s hope the Habs are one of the “have’s”....

Agreed , but 4.5 mil went to Jake and Edmundson will probably get 4

Doesn't leave much cap space to absorb salary

Sal_Butera

Agreed , but 4.5 mil went to Jake and Edmundson will probably get 4

Doesn't leave much cap space to absorb salary
Habs have over $14M in available cap space presently - including the $1M margin for putting Alzner in AHL. Even if Edmunsdon gets $4M that’s over $10M not including $ that goes the other way in potential deals.

From a cap perspective there’s enormous room to be honest..

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
Habs have over $14M in available cap space presently - including the $1M margin for putting Alzner in AHL. Even if Edmunsdon gets $4M that’s over $10M not including $ that goes the other way in potential deals.

From a cap perspective there’s enormous room to be honest..

Not next year...it's not like Edmunsdon is gonna sign a 1 yr deal.

Sal_Butera

Not next year...it's not like Edmunsdon is gonna sign a 1 yr deal.
Edmunsdon will sign a Chiarot type deal..that’s very digestible.

I don’t see Tatar being resigned ($5M) - roster spot replaced by Caufield, Allen will be gone ($4M) - likely replaced by Primeau, Byron will also likely be dealt next if not this offseason.

That’s minimum $8M+ to be used towards Gallagher & Danault re-signings and any remainder towards Petry.

Not at all concerned with Habs being in cap hell...more curious if the team quality improves

Sal_Butera

Pierre McGuire on TSN1200 in Ottawa:

This is going to be a very different time financially for the league, and for a lot of member clubs in the league. I’m just telling you. The stories haven’t broken yet, but this is going to be a way different time for free agents, be a way different time for established players. You’re going to see some major cost-cutting around the National Hockey League, major, major cost-cutting. There are people writing stories now about this team laying off these people. You’re going to see a lot more. It’s going to trickle down to player’s salaries. This is a very different time in this league. It’s not getting enough exposure right now. I completely understand because of the playoffs. No one really wants to talk about it.

xposbrad

Edmunsdon will sign a Chiarot type deal..that’s very digestible.

I don’t see Tatar being resigned ($5M) - roster spot replaced by Caufield, Allen will be gone ($4M) - likely replaced by Primeau, Byron will also likely be dealt next if not this offseason.

That’s minimum $8M+ to be used towards Gallagher & Danault re-signings and any remainder towards Petry.

Not at all concerned with Habs being in cap hell...more curious if the team quality improves

I think a lot of teams are going to want to be under the cap next year by quite a bit. CAP room and internal budgets are completely different. You make it seem 10m = 10m to spend, that's not even close to the case. It might mean maybe 4-5m max to spend. If they aren't resigning Tatar, they need to trade him, he's probably worth a mid 1st round pick + a B level prospect.

Sal_Butera

I think a lot of teams are going to want to be under the cap next year by quite a bit. CAP room and internal budgets are completely different. You make it seem 10m = 10m to spend, that's not even close to the case. It might mean maybe 4-5m max to spend. If they aren't resigning Tatar, they need to trade him, he's probably worth a mid 1st round pick + a B level prospect.
I can care less what other teams do. Getting a 1st for Tatar does no good when the Habs goal is to make the playoffs. Use him for his 20+ regular season goals and kick him to the curb - treat it like a deadline rental. Or should an opportunity arise to deal Tatar as a swap or in a package for an improvement by all means.

I have zero doubt Habs will spend to the cap with perhaps $1M-$2M for in season maneuvering. The owner has mandated an end to the retooling.

Rolex

Canadiens Moderator
Mikko to Pens for a cheap 1-year deal to try and win a Cup for the Koivu family.....

Mikko Koivu, the guy we wanted, but was taken right before us by Minny....we ended up with Komisarek.