• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2019-2020 MotherFucking Season Thread

I'll be honest, I'm pretty bad at wearing poppies. Always buy 'em, always lose 'em.

Feel like he gave Sportsnet very little choice here. Someone getting on their network and implying immigrants don't appreciate Canada isn't a good look. And probably the exact opposite of true, poppy or no poppy.

Edit: I've always sorta thought Cherry was a senile old bat when it came to hockey commentary, xenophobic shit aside.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty bad at wearing poppies. Always buy 'em, always lose 'em.

Feel like he gave Sportsnet very little choice here. Someone getting on their network and implying immigrants don't appreciate Canada isn't a good look. And probably the exact opposite of true, poppy or no poppy.

Edit: I've always sorta thought Cherry was a senile old bat when it came to hockey commentary, xenophobic shit aside.
This is entirely anecdotal (much like cherry's point) but I find I see immigrants wearing poppies more than anyone. I sure as hell don't wear one. Not proud of it but yeah... Immigrants tend to have more patriotism towards Canada than a lot of natives.

Of course that isn't the point though.

This had to be done.

Something that keeps coming to mind for me is that one of my buddies is married to a girl who immigrated here from Panama, and another is dating a girl from Colombia. Both of them are dark-skinned.

They were watching the game along with a bunch of us on Saturday night and the whole room was watching Coach's Corner together. As soon as Don finished his "you people who come here" comment about people he sees in downtown Toronto, my Panamanian friend turned to the Colombian and said "I guess we'd better go get some poppies".

As much as some corners of the internet, hockey fandom, the right-wing media and Cherry himself might try to white-wash what he was saying there into a more general statement with no racial overtones, those two girls watching with us immediately recognized that it was them specifically (and people who look like them) that Cherry was shit-talking and yelling at.

So, enough's enough. Time for Don to be put out to pasture, and that he's completely unrepentant about this makes the decision even easier.

This had to be done.

Something that keeps coming to mind for me is that one of my buddies is married to a girl who immigrated here from Panama, and another is dating a girl from Colombia. Both of them are dark-skinned.

They were watching the game along with a bunch of us on Saturday night and the whole room was watching Coach's Corner together. As soon as Don finished his "you people who come here" comment about people he sees in downtown Toronto,, my Panamanian friend turned to the Colombian and said "I guess we'd better go get some poppies".

As much as some corners of the internet, hockey fandom, the right-wing media and Cherry himself might try to white-wash what he was saying there into a more general statement with no racial overtones, those two girls watching with us immediately recognized that it was them specifically (and people who look like them) that Cherry was shit-talking and yelling at.

So, enough's enough. Time for Don to be put out to pasture, and that he's completely unrepentant about this makes the decision even easier.
Had a similar experience actually. Was at a party with several Hispanics. When he first said it I'm ashamed to admit I didn't even flinch but they were floored, as people who don't even know who he is. I think we've become desensitized to his shit. That in itself is ultimately my biggest issue. That shit can't just be accepted because we used to listen to him every Saturday night growing up and we can't let go of it. We all need to be better.

Has anyone commented on Babcock saying he played Matthews and Nylander too much last night? I wanted to jump out of a window

Has anyone commented on Babcock saying he played Matthews and Nylander too much last night? I wanted to jump out of a window

I think it slid by under the cover fire laid down by Cherry going mental. I saw a little mention on Twitter, but way less than it usually would have generated.

At this point, I expect this shit from Babcock. He's pure paint by numbers with no adapative ability. McDavid and Draisatl are averaging 23 minutes a night and neither play PK. I don't think that's a better way of doing things, but in a game where you need goals, leave Gauthier on the fucking bench and play Matthews 21-22 minutes. Games where you have a solid lead in the 3rd period, ease off a little bit and aim for 17 minutes. It's called coaching, Mike.

So much of what he does is predicated on the game plan being perfect, and the flaw being in the players not trying hard enough. Not getting after it, not getting "pucks deep" or "on net" or wherever the fuck else pucks are expected to get to for the player to have done their jobs.

Honestly the ‘you people’ line wasn’t so bad. Its the ‘milk and honey’ piece that construed the worst.

You people was only bad because he made it clear he was specifically talking about immigrants. If he had just said "you people get out there and buy a poppy" no one would have batted an eye because he constantly says "you kids" "you goalies" "you coaches"

You people milk and honey and the point of small towns all says he meant immigrants.
I'm quite stunned Ron wouldn't at least look stonefaced while he said that. Ron's career will be affected by this.

Having been to both Vimy Ridge and the D-Day beaches, using the lack of wearing a poppy to try to shame newcomers to the country seems petty and lame to me.

You people was only bad because he made it clear he was specifically talking about immigrants. If he had just said "you people get out there and buy a poppy" no one would have batted an eye because he constantly says "you kids" "you goalies" "you coaches"

Yeah, this is pretty much it.

I have heard Cherry say "never turn your back on a backstabbing Russian" live on Coach's Corner some years ago. then there's the endless comments questioning the manhood of anyone born outside North America to look back on. That didn't get him fired, nor the constant right-wing grandstanding about the military and police over the years, and I'm pretty confident a lot of people didn't like that either.

so for me despite loathing Cherry it's hard not to feel this move rings a little hollow.

He some pretty huge faults, like alot of people do, and this move was necessary. Alot of people of that generation and have his attitude toward immigrants and it gets reinforced. And we all know the older you get, the tougher it is to change.

Everything isn't black and white. He's also a man who dedicated his life to Minor hockey, local communities, and veterans. Yes this was necessary and it's good that it's creating some discussion. But cheering an 85 year old man getting fired like your team just won the cup is kinda embarassing man.

This totally.

I am an older man ..... many times I have thought cherry went over the line.

Funny, I think he was just trying to promote remembrance day and the sacrifice made.

Anyone who has been to brampton will agree that you dont see many poppies at all.

Don Cherry became an institution for HNIC.
He made the corporates millions and millions of dollars.
He helped to promote womans hockey, players rights, and the game itself.
Btw Preston..... he has forgotten more about the game of hockey than you will ever know.

Cherry's best before date had passed and I think sportsnet played this very very well.
They didnt have to release him and have a public uproar in the off season ..... everyone knew cherry steps in it at least twice a season.
I am positive that in their discussions about the on air talent, someone knew they just had to bide their time until this happened. It makes it possible to be able to distance themselves from cherry without much thought of angry people supporting him.

Burke as a replacement is imho a bad choice.
To angry and no purpose for it.

As I have mentioned before, this may be the time to bring in a woman (just not wickenhiser dumber than dirt).
Or a panel ..... oh wait they have that stupid panel already that serves zero purpose.

Or why not just have a show called the games of the week, and have a respected coach or management type breaking down the stats/corsi etc, of the games over the past week.
Maybe bring in a woman and man to host it.

Short of that ...... bob mccowan is looking for work and he was always a opponent of violence in sports (hockey).

I would personally create a new brand .... a new show ...... there is only ever going to be one grapes and the show itself was past it best before date so why keep it going?

Or ....... bring back peter puck

This is entirely anecdotal (much like cherry's point) but I find I see immigrants wearing poppies more than anyone. I sure as hell don't wear one. Not proud of it but yeah... Immigrants tend to have more patriotism towards Canada than a lot of natives.

Of course that isn't the point though.

Your full of shit Preston!

I am native and I aways wear a poppy.
We all wear poppies in my area .... and all surrounding areas.

And he is the real zinger ..... it is usually the young and new canadians who dont.

I think it has more to do with not understanding or taking their cue from someone who doesnt care. Like you Preston.

But this isnt really about poppys. This was a perfect chance to be able to dump the past and move into the future.

As mentioned many times by the viewers on this site, cherry was viewed as a dinosaur.

Yet all the hurtful and rude things mentioned about cherry are no less damaging then the things he endures.

Many many brave men and women gave their lives so we can live the life we do.
They sacrificed everything so we may have freedoms .... freedom to live, freedom to love who we want, and freedom of speech.

But then I ask .... if they went to fight for the freedom to express yourself than what happened in this instance.

Who do we forgive and bless, and whom do we blame?

Trudeau black faced and all with a few complaints for inappropriate touching complaints from women, wins an election and is celebrated by many many on this board, yet you dont hear any calls for him to be fired.

Btw .... the Russians did play very very soft when they came over.
The swedish players for the most part in the late 70s and early 80s played very very soft.
But that was 40 years ago.

Hockey is a dying game. The figures may show that the fans are attending well and that merchandise is selling very well but this is a game that costs huge amount of money, especially when compared to basketball, soccer and even baseball.
Put your kid into hockey now and expect to pay a few thousand dollars a year.
As apposed to other minor league sports .... this is even more expensive than dirt tracks and motocross.

Unless something is done to alter this game drastically, it will continue to take its spot behind bowling and poker in viewership.

Teeds idea of 3 on 3 is a good start. But the players union will never have any of that until it is to late.

Farewell Don .... you were outspoken and bombastic and you were usually entertaining. I really never liked you but I admired the character you portrayed.

Oh ya .... I would fire that piece of shit maclean out of a cannon to never be seen again.
Bring in a woman for maclean job and peter puck or showdown for the cherry spot.

Last edited:
I'd have to watch it again, but I feel like Ron asked Cherry about the poppy piece and Cherry wanted to go a different direction - then Ron told him they found some time to run it. It was an inside job!

Back