• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2019-2020 MotherFucking Season Thread

Thru 4, via naturalstatttick:

5v5 adj

Muzzin 19:30, 0.00p/60, 54.2cf%, 52.0xgf%
Barrie 17:53, 2.52p/60, 59.5cf%, 60.0xgf%

Ceci 17:14, 2.61p/60, 53.3cf%, 49.9xgf%
Rielly 15:52, 2.84p/60, 52.5cf%, 47.4xgf%

Sandin 11:19, 1.32p/60, 53.9cf%, 51.2xgf%
Marincin 9:00, 0.00p/60, 47.1cf%, 48.5xgf%
Holl 8:34, 0.00p/60,;56.0cf%, 33.0xgf%

I'm sorry but it's the same story, the coach is not playing the best players enough.

Hard to tell with more PPs so far but.....

Rielly 24:54
Muzzin 22:57

Barrie 22:32
Ceci 22:20

Sandin 11:47
Marincin 11:00
Holl 10:59

Tavares 19:09
Marner 21:06
Kapanen 18:25

Matthews 18:40
Nylander 16:23
Johnson 16:24

Kerfoot 14:34
Mikheyev 16:00
Moore 15:00

Spezza 9:39
Timashov 9:15
Shore 9:11
Gauthier 9:06
Petan 6:18

Actually close to the distribution we've wanted to see.

I'd like to see more ice time for the Matthews line though.

I'm feeling pretty good. After four games they've had three really good games and one ok just ok game.

Willy looks fucking amazing. Their best and most consistent forward this year 5 on 5. Looks like he may be back to being a better 5 on 5 player than Mitchy. At the very least, the difference is negligible if he keeps this up. At 4 shmil less.

Matthews looks fucking amazing.

Kerfoot looks great. I told a lot of people this summer that he might be a younger, better, cheaper kadri.

Soup looks good - I question his puck skills a bit but the man is a pain in the ass to play against.

Basically the sore points are marner and tavares at 5 on 5 and Kapanen and johnsson getting off to mediocre at best starts. I'm not really worried about any of that tbh. They'll all come around. There are some valid questions defensively but I have less concerns about that than I did last year. And as they showed last night and during the playoffs, they can flip a switch and turn on their defensive game whenever they want really.

EDIT: oh and goaltending has been shit but that's just typical October fred

So far the leafs are 6th in xGF and 21st in xGA per 60. Seems about right. Would like to see them top 3 in xGF by years end, but with that kind of shooting talent, being 6th basically puts them in the top 3 offensive teams with ease.

Babs is no doubt well aware of the critiques and we all know what type of mentality he has. This is not a guy who is afraid to cut off his nose to spite his face. Radical turnover on the roster of a 100 point team was necessary simply to limit the number of gudpro options to play ahead of the talent. Babcock is not going to play Matthews more minutes until Matthews plays the way Hyman does in his imagination.

you'd think at some point the guy would look in the mirror and say "you know what, my days of actually winning anything of substance are fairly far in the past, when hockey was a much different game than it is today. also I have the diametrical opposite of the roster I would need to play such hockey. maybe I should consider changing what I do"

but who are we kidding.

nothing will change until Dubas hires his own coach.

Babcock is not going to play Matthews more minutes until Matthews plays the way Hyman does in his imagination.

See Babcock in the post game presser when he was asked about Tavares & Marner not looking great so far? "Hyman is good, eh?" with a shit eating grin. He legit credits a good pick and shovel guy but just a pick and shovel guy with making 2 of the best offensive players in the world, look good. It's insane.

See Babcock in the post game presser when he was asked about Tavares & Marner not looking great so far? "Hyman is good, eh?" with a shit eating grin. He legit credits a good pick and shovel guy but just a pick and shovel guy with making 2 of the best offensive players in the world, look good. It's insane.

Actually? FFS

The irony being Marner and Tavares will probably start heating up around the time Hyman gets back.

If Hyman comes back and Tavares and Marner pick it up, what will your excuse be?

I picked your quote but let's here from all the haters...beforehand, it's easy afterwards.
I say he will be a statistically better addition, and probably by a fair margin.

If Hyman comes back and Tavares and Marner pick it up, what will your excuse be?

I picked your quote but let's here from all the haters...beforehand, it's easy afterwards.
I say he will be a statistically better addition, and probably by a fair margin.

Hyman is not the difference between JT & Marner being 45% xGF or not. Point blank, period. Regardless of when whoever starts to pick up their game.

Well no, but I bet he fits better there than he gets credit for.
JT has a new kid, he's not sleeping...Idk about Marner, I think he reads what's said about him and isn't dealing with it well.

...doesn't change the idea that Hyman gets no credit so lets see what happens...on the ice and here.

Well no, but I bet he fits better there than he gets credit for.
JT has a new kid, he's not sleeping...Idk about Marner, I think he reads what's said about him and isn't dealing with it well.

...doesn't change the idea that Hyman gets no credit so lets see what happens...on the ice and here.

I just find it weird that the whole "Tavares makes his linemates way better" thing died a painful death the second he showed up in Toronto, had Hyman put up career crushing xGF% numbers, and Mucho cracked 94 points. It's almost like Tavares makes his linemates way better or something and he's struggling right now. I mean, we can believe that a guy with a career high 41 points is the secret to John Tavares success, but that kind of doesn't pass the smell test, regardless of when Johnny gives his head a shake and gets going.

Heh. If we’re paying JT and Marner 20 million dollars and they need a Hyman to produce, we went really, really wrong somewhere.

Back