• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2019-2020 MotherFucking Season Thread

Yeah I mean, prior to last year Willy was a much better 5 on 5 player than Mitchy Moneys. I don't think much has changed despite his struggles last year. Crazy that he makes 4 shmil less.

6.9 was always fair for Willy at the time.. Perhaps 300-400k too much based on the data that the market utilizes when negotiating contracts, but nothing to whine about really since he can easily outperform the contract as early as this year. Digging a little deeper, you could have easily justified as much as 7.5 for Willy to be honest.

Mitchy Moneys was the opposite. The market sees 90+ points and yeah.. that's worth around 9 mil per for the term he signed - digging a little deeper you would hope he'd be cheaper than 9 mil per because he is not as likely to outperform that contract. So he is about 2 million overpaid based on the market and it could be worse in time. Anyway I've never been convinced that the difference between them is anything more than negligible. If they both settle in as 70-80 point players I would not be surprised. Mitchy Moneys will have the icetime and PP1 advantage so he'll likely have the inside track to outscore him this year though.

With that said, I would take the fuck out of overpaying Mitchy Moneys by 2-3 million over Patrick Marleau by 5 million. We're spoiled. I just hate that greedy jackass and his deadbeat dad so I'm biased and it will take time for me to get over that (i.e. a game 7 cup finals OT winning goal). I do find it humorous that the Mitchy Moneys contract has been getting criticized worse than the Marleau or Zaitsev ones. But whatever. Fuck him.

Last edited:
Spezza line and Holl getting another chance vs Tampa it seems like. Lines in pracky were the exact same as Saturday.

The Spezza line has been miles better than the Shore one so far. Spezza is destroying the easy comp so far (top five in the league xGF%).

Holl ... guessing that Dubas insisted he get a real shot. I wouldn't write Holl off just yet (although I was ready to do so near the end of the first game he played).

surprised to see Holl back in. and tbh, i don't expect him to actually be in.

And Shilton had the 4th line options as interchangeable in the morning skate.

Interesting about the tiny samples for Spezza/Petan vs. Shore/Tima - according to TOIqoc, spezza/petan have faced buttersoft "F" comp so far, while Shore/Tima have faced elite "A+" comp so far.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Gauthier not be treated as an automatic full timer, though admittedly he's been good.

Hyman is not the difference between JT & Marner being 45% xGF or not. Point blank, period. Regardless of when whoever starts to pick up their game.

NHL forwards 5v5 600+ mins, 2018-19 (rank out of 337 players)

Hyman

Pts/60: 1.96 (99)
A1/60: 0.6 (149)
g/60: 0.83 (106)
ixG/60: 0.86 (26)
iSCF/60 9.47 (26)
iHDCF/60: 5.78 (6)
xGF%: 53.77 (70)

Hey, if you want to blindly believe a number that says Zach Hyman is a better offensive player than Auston Matthews as evidence of anything meaningful, have at it.

Gallagher was 1st, and Andrew Shaw was 3rd in that statistic btw.

There's seven different stats posted there and they all point to the same thing -- Hyman helps to drive play and scroring.

There's seven different stats posted there and they all point to the same thing -- Hyman helps to drive play and scroring.

You only highlighted one. If you want to pretend that ranking 99ths, 106th, and 149th in scoring categories on a line with the 3rd and 4th highest P/60 forwards in hockey is impressive, or "driving anything.... again, have at it.

Yes, Zach Hyman gets a lot of scoring chances. These are not because of Zach Hyman's ability to generate scoring chances, but because he's been padlocked to proper elite offensive players almost every shift of his NHL career.

You only highlighted one. If you want to pretend that ranking 99ths, 106th, and 149th in scoring categories on a line with the 3rd and 4th highest P/60 forwards in hockey is impressive, or "driving anything.... again, have at it.

Yes, Zach Hyman gets a lot of scoring chances. These are not because of Zach Hyman's ability to generate scoring chances, but because he's been padlocked to proper elite offensive players almost every shift of his NHL career.

Three of the seven stats are individual stats and they all place Hyman in the top 10% of forwards.

Three of the seven stats are individual stats and they all place Hyman in the top 10% of forwards.

The funny bit is that you think it's an individual stat because some "propellerhead" put an "i" in front of it. Again, if you want to believe that Zach Hyman is the 6th best in the league at individually creating high danger scoring chances, have at it.

I won't argue that he doesn't have some ability to drive play from his strong forechecking, generally solid board work everywhere, but I have a feeling you're falling into the trap mentioned in a recent quote around here about the willingness of people to draw strong conclusions from weak data if you think Hyman is driving the bus on that line.

The truly funny bit is how you tenaciously hang on to any opinion, even to the point of having to invent things.

Back