• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2019-2020 MotherFucking Season Thread

Not sure if it's already been discussed, don't want to look back through this whole debate...notes from Marner back at practice:

-Mitch rejoins JT, and Hyman shifts down to the third line while Soup sticks.
-Mitch takes his PP spot at the expense of Rielly, who gets bumped from the top unit.

Heh. I'll take that as already discussed.

Edit: Right, just had to sift through a few pages of Preston's latest hot-take discussion.

Last edited:
Willy has been so good this year that he picked up another goal without playing a game. They must’ve reviewed some prior goal and awarded it to him since the last game.

Last 2 years vs #1 lines
Barkov 20:48, 47.5 xGF%
Stamkos 19:00, 58.98
Kuznetsov 18:37, 38.24
Kopitar 13:58, 39.91
Bergeron 12:10, 53.71
Crosby 10:09, 17.68
O'Reilly 9:13, 62:96
Draisaitl 8:16, 72/26
Eichel 8:15, 52.16
Couture 6:31, 76.45
Aho 6:31, 68.64
Karlsson 6:04 74.09
Barzal 5:10, 23.33

Had a handful bad games he got filled in (Barzal, Crosby, Kuznetsov, Kopitar) handful he dominated (Stamkos, O'Reilly, Draisaitl, Couture, Aho, Karlsson) and the rest slightly below/above average (Barkov, Bergeron, Eichel).

He has outplayed plenty of elite lines.
How much of matthews neg stats have been effected by the backup goaltender? Or babcocks deployment in situations and coaching had to do with Matthew's negative stats?
Subtract those two factors and I bet there is a different story.
Matthew's has taken a step forward this season and as Preston mentioned .... he is a beast.
..... Mario Matthews will be fine.

Except the point doesnt stand. The numbers show that matthews either holds his own or caves in the majority of top centers. I'm imagine that if we looked at other top centers, they would have similar distributions.

Your expectation here is that he literally caves in every other center in the league. BG is right, you're looking for a unicorn

If you watch junior mario against other top centers in the league, he does fine.

If Matthew's was more physical with beregeron than he would absolutely dominate every single centerman in the league.

The kid is an incredible talent and he is ours .....

We have never had a player of this talent level since the world started using nukes.

Not even douggie or sittler was as talented as this guy.

As long as this young man has an ego, he will continue to improve and carry the team to unknown heights since the start of colour television.

Leafs have recalled Martin Marincin from the Marlies.

My reaction:

I'm even more confused considering Marner's apparently set to come off LTIR tomorrow.

Leafs have recalled Martin Marincin from the Marlies.

My reaction:

I'm even more confused considering Marner's apparently set to come off LTIR tomorrow.

Back to back games.. May give someone a break in the second night. Or may be on the roster in case of emergency. Could be useful to carry 7 d I suppose

I give up on trying to figure out the Leafs cap situation. Just when everyone has them down and out of options they manage to find a move to make it work.

Pridham>>>>>everyone else

I give up on trying to figure out the Leafs cap situation. Just when everyone has them down and out of options they manage to find a move to make it work.

Pridham>>>>>everyone else

Yeah, the moment they re-acquired David Clarkson's contract was when I accepted that I and the media covering the team have only the most rudimentary handle on what their cap situation and options really are.

I'm not even taking it for a given that all this talk about them having to go down to a 20-man roster once everyone is healthy is true. Because who knows what other rabbits Pridham has under his hat.

As long as all this cap juggling doesn't involve Marincin actually suiting up to play for the Leafs, I'm OK with it.

Not sure why. If there’s a trade it’s most likely one of the spare parts like Shore for a late draft pick. I don’t see them doing anything major while we’re winning and without all our guys.

I have not been keeping a close eye on the Marlies this but those who have been say he is jumped Sandin with his progress this year

well, because we literally have to get rid of all the extras when mitch is activated tommorrow. and we could use a backup goalie. and because sandin and liljegren are killing it.

Back