• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

BeLeafer

resurrected
CJ has been one of the very few who has spoken out about the ridiculousness of the Marner demands. We need more like him.
Well, they didn't get their $14MM offersheet so they're just stoking the fires by letting these demands pass off as reasonable. There's not a lot of hockey reporters without an agenda to stoke hysteria among Leafs fans. The more they do it, the more air time they get. It's what Chomsky said to Andrew Marr, albeit this in the realm of distraction.

Artnes

I really wonder how much of an effect this is having on Mitch. He is being torn apart on social media.

He could do no wrong a few months ago and now the mob is all over him and his camp

Preston

I really wonder how much of an effect this is having on Mitch. He is being torn apart on social media.

He could do no wrong a few months ago and now the mob is all over him and his camp
He did it to himself. Let you dad control your life and this is the result.

Bleedsblue&white

This is the beginning of the end of the 40 yr old hockey player.

...probably most of the major sports really...younger guys making all the money getting paid for what they will do...no more riding off into the sunset while they pay you for the memories.

zeke

probably for the best.

it's sad to see fans turn against older players with storied careers due to them getting paid way too much for their final years.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
sounds like they're going with Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander to start.
Thank ****. I was at least mildly terrified that Babcock was going to insist on a plugger and make me hate Mikheyev before he had ever played a game for us. I'm wondering what he's going to do with Hyman's spot for the first few months of the season. Knowing Mike, he's going to want to keep the 3rd line as whole as possible, especially with a bunch of guys who haven't played together on it (most likely Moore-Kerfoot-Kapanen), which probably means one of Spezza-Mikheyev-Aberg slotting in with JT/Marner (preferably Aberg). 4th line a bit of a crap shoot with whoever loses out on that 2nd line gig of the 3, with Shore, Petan and maybe even Goat also in the mix.

uncus

If petan makes the team, there are problems.
Last year he showed why the jets gave up on his me versus the world type of play.
The guy only passes the puck when there are no other options. In short, he is a puck hog.

zeke

i wonder if spezza gets a shot at 3C with kerfoot and kappy as wingers thanks to hyman's injury.

this would give shore a shot at establishing himself as 4C which imo would be a good thing too.

zeke

I was doing some of a canes-leafs stats comp last night and was struck by how poor Pesce came out looking - like only marginally better than Ceci, despite vastly different quality of teammate.

and this is a guy leafs fans and media still keep saying we should trade willy for.

Artnes

I think it was @ryanfancey who went back and watched Ceci at the 2016 World Championships last night to see what Ceci looked like with a skilled lineup and he actually looked good.

Sample size of course but there is hope that surrounded by a top end talent he will do well.

LeafGm

Thank ****. I was at least mildly terrified that Babcock was going to insist on a plugger and make me hate Mikheyev before he had ever played a game for us. I'm wondering what he's going to do with Hyman's spot for the first few months of the season. Knowing Mike, he's going to want to keep the 3rd line as whole as possible, especially with a bunch of guys who haven't played together on it (most likely Moore-Kerfoot-Kapanen), which probably means one of Spezza-Mikheyev-Aberg slotting in with JT/Marner (preferably Aberg). 4th line a bit of a crap shoot with whoever loses out on that 2nd line gig of the 3, with Shore, Petan and maybe even Goat also in the mix.

I'm still convinced that Babcock is going to make us all hate Mikheyev by turning him into one of his toys, and force-feeding him consistent minutes on one of our top two lines. But I hope I'm wrong. If Johnsson & Moore get those minutes instead, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

If petan makes the team, there are problems.
Last year he showed why the jets gave up on his me versus the world type of play.
The guy only passes the puck when there are no other options. In short, he is a puck hog.

What the hell? He wasn't given enough of an opportunity to show anything last year.

Petan was out on the ice for the Leafs for a grand total of 43.5 minutes spread out over five games (and those five games were spread out over a couple of months). And most of those minutes were alongside Freddie the Goat, who'd have trouble carrying the puck even if you glued it to his stick.

LeafGm

He also traded one of Babcock's toys to acquire him.

Yep. For reasons I can't possibly fathom, Babcock fucking loved Par Lindholm.

The only way to get him out of our lineup was to trade him away.

So that gave Babcock extra incentive to hate the midget Dubas acquired.