• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Things To Not Be Worried About

zeke

Do you talk to anyone outside of this forumice bubble? I know at about 20 people who filed for EI this week (Chefs, waiters, tv producers, camera operators, concert facilitators, etc). None of their employers have closed up shop, nor is it part of their immediate plans to do so.

I'm not mad at the wrong thing...I'm not mad at all but social distancing has a cost. I'm optimistic we can ride it out.
Yeah I do. And there are in fact many employers that are quite scared they'll have to close up shop.

Preston

Those are canadian numbers.

950k in a week.

It's a lot.
Oh for some reason I assumed American. I can't read. Fair enough. This isn't a Trump attack.

But yeah, of course it's a lot. It's a pandemic that has caused a fuckton of shit to be shut down. You typically don't need employees when businesses are shut down.

Preston

More fear mongering. Here's a key part of the article:

This is both good and bad news: the theory is that such mutations will make the virus more contagious but potentially less dangerous to those that are affected. Screening also indicates that children seem much less likely to catch the virus, but this may be influenced by the fact that children generally have mild symptoms.

zeke

This is both good and bad news: the theory is that such mutations will make the virus more contagious but potentially less dangerous to those that are affected. Screening also indicates that children seem much less likely to catch the virus, but this may be influenced by the fact that children generally have mild symptoms.
That "key part" also happens to be....the headline of the article.

Fear mongering!

Preston

That "key part" also happens to be....the headline of the article.

Fear mongering!
I'm referring to the clickbait tweet. I'm seeing a lot of people using the word "mutation" to incite fear, when in reality most mutations are neutral or even harmful to a virus.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.

Reposting this, from the epidemiologist who tried to warn us about being pandemic ready years ago.

“The best case is that the virus mutates and actually dies out,” said Dr. Larry Brilliant, an epidemiologist who as a young doctor was part of fight to eradicate smallpox. Brilliant was a consultant for the movie “Contagion,” in which a virus evolved to become more deadly, but that’s the exception. “Only in movies do viruses seem to become worse,” he explained.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Truthfully, in theory forgiveness of all payments and closure of the market for a month would work. Putting everything on pause. Not very capitalist though.