• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Thursday Oct 6th vs the Habs TSN4 7:30

The rosters:

pOekQw5.jpg

Seems pretty obvious that the one on the left is the "mostly Leafs" roster, and the one on the left is the "mostly Marlies" roster that Babcock described.

And although it's hard to read too much into individual players, it's interesting that Holland, Leivo, Greening, Polak & Corrado have ended up on the "mostly Marlie" roster.

I think Babs has said he'll go with a 'almost final' Leafs lineup for tonight and Sat, and Fri night will be a final Marlies lineup.

So we shall see who's in and who's out tonight.

Seems like Kapanen and Gauthier have earned extra last looks over Holland and Leivo with their play this camp. I'm just assuming they will play over Rychel and Smith. Thats not very shocking for Kapanen, but it'll be interesting if Gauthier makes the jump at some point this year. The Leafs don't really have a good 4th line center at the moment.

Apparently Loov is also in that first group.

Kristen Shilton
#Leafs lines:

Martin-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Hyman
Michalek-Kadri-Komarov
Brown-Gauthier-Kapanen

Marincin-Reilly
Gardiner-Carrick
Hunwick-Zaitsev

Rychel and Smith are the 2 not on a regular line rush this morning.

#Leafs lines:

Martin-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Hyman
Brown-Gauthier-Kapanen
Michalek-Kadri-Komarov

Defence pairings:
Hunwick-Zaitsev
Marincin-Rielly
Gardiner-Carrick
Brouillard-Hrabarenka

Seems like Kapanen and Gauthier have earned extra last looks over Holland and Leivo with their play this camp. I'm just assuming they will play over Rychel and Smith. Thats not very shocking for Kapanen, but it'll be interesting if Gauthier makes the jump at some point this year. The Leafs don't really have a good 4th line center at the moment.

Apparently Loov is also in that first group.
Yeah, that's something that bears watching. Babcock was clearly not a huge Peter Holland fan last year. And then while a lot of us were assuming that Brooks Laich would be our fourth line center, it looks like the last time he played that position with any kind of regularity was 2013/14, and the last time he was a full-time center was 2011/12.

So, who knows? Maybe there's an opportunity for The Goat to swoop in and steal a job. Babcock does love big centers, after all.

I'm not sure that Gauthier will break camp with the team. I think the Gauthier-Kapanen spots go to Bozak-Laich. But he's clearly worked himself back onto the radar. He'll end up being one of the last forwards cut, and you have to think he'll get an opportunity at some point this year. Probably the second call up after Kapanen. And I guess Soshnikov would be ahead of him.

Rychel and Smith are the 2 not on a regular line rush this morning.

#Leafs lines:

Martin-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Hyman
Brown-Gauthier-Kapanen
Michalek-Kadri-Komarov

Defence pairings:
Hunwick-Zaitsev
Marincin-Rielly
Gardiner-Carrick
Brouillard-Hrabarenka

safe to say that Brown-Gauthier-Kapanen line is pegged for the AHL I think.

Don't like the martin with Matthews thing but am resigned to it for now. I doubt it lasts anyways. Matthews is too good for that.

Hyman's spot looks in danger now though - you'd think with Bozak back with JVR, Nylander would move to that wing.

don't love Hunwick with Zaitsev, but the continues use of Gardiner-Carrick is pretty encouraging, and might actually mean that Polak is mostly an extra Dman thsi year.

safe to say that Brown-Gauthier-Kapanen line is pegged for the AHL I think.

Don't like the martin with Matthews thing but am resigned to it for now. I doubt it lasts anyways. Matthews is too good for that.

Hyman's spot looks in danger now though - you'd think with Bozak back with JVR, Nylander would move to that wing.

don't love Hunwick with Zaitsev, but the continues use of Gardiner-Carrick is pretty encouraging, and might actually mean that Polak is mostly an extra Dman thsi year.

I actually don't think Martin even opens the season with Matthews unless Bozak is unable to go.

Once Bozak is back I would guess he slots in with JVR on his wing, Nylander joins Matthews and Kadri keeps Komarov.

The only questions appear to be where do Hyman, Marner and Michalek slot in the top 9?

I don't like the timing of Martin-Matthews ... this is one of the final tune-up games.

I still think the Bozak injury has more to do with it. Babcock has played Nylander and Hyman appear to be a pair Babcock like together and he has already stated he wants to start Nylander on Matthews wing.

I guess we will see. When Babs signed Martin (I presume it's a Babs signing, or at least a signing with Babs' blessing) he specifically hinted guys like Marner and Matthews need protection and that's why they signed Martin. You can't really 'protect' the guy if you're not on the ice at the time of any dirty infraction (I'd argue even if you ARE on the ice, you can't really protect the kid but I digress).

Sure Babs can change his mind later, but I think there's still a strong possibility Babs start the season with Martin - Mathews - Nylander (and Marner if Bozak is injured)

I could see Martin as Matthews' bodyguard on a third line, but I wouldn't want him there once AM begins his inevitable move up the lineup.

Turns out Leivo's been nursing an injury. That explains it. Because he looked real good to me in the game I saw him in.

Back