• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Time to get this one started, the deadline is less than 3 weeks away, 3 pm eastern on February 24.

The Leafs have acquired goalie Jack Campbell and forward Kyle Clifford from the Kings for forward Trevor Moore and a 3rd round pick in 2020 and a conditional 3rd rounder in 2021. That pick becomes a 2nd rounder if Clifford re-signs with the Leafs or Campbell wins 6 regular season games and the Leafs make the playoffs. The Kings retain 50% of Clifford‘s salary. Clifford will be a UFA after the season. Campbell is In the last year of a 2 year/$1.35 million contract but signed a 2 year/$3.3 million extension in September.

Frederik Andersen is injured and backup Michael Hutchinson has been bad, 4-9-1 with a 3.66/.886 stat line this season, after losing to the Rangers tonight.

Time to get this one started, the deadline is less than 3 weeks away, 3 pm eastern on February 24.

The Leafs have acquired goalie Jack Campbell and forward Kyle Clifford from the Kings for forward Trevor Moore and a 3rd round pick in 2020 and a conditional 3rd rounder in 2021. That pick becomes a 2nd rounder if Clifford re-signs with the Leafs or Campbell wins 6 regular season games and the Leafs make the playoffs. The Kings retain 50% of Clifford‘s salary. Clifford will be a UFA after the season. Campbell is In the last year of a 2 year/$1.35 million contract but signed a 2 year/$3.3 million extension in September.

Frederik Andersen is injured and backup Michael Hutchinson has been bad, 4-9-1 with a 3.66/.886 stat line this season, after losing to the Rangers tonight.
Watched a fair amount of the Laffs and the Ranjerks last night. Toronto can score goals in bunches (especially McDavid) but as fast as they could light the lamp, their crappy TEAM defense was giving them up on the back end. Yes, the goalie isn't stellar but they are horrible in their own zone.

I think Toronto's need for a better backup is overstated, but Campbell is solid enough. Likewise, they kinda, sorta needed some physical oomph on their depth lines and Clifford is a decent enough option. No world changers there, but those guys compete hard and are quality role players. Adding those them to a young roster certainly won't hurt ... but they paid a pretty stiff price for two role players. Whatever. You accumulate resources to use them, and Toronto used some resources to fill some holes. Fine.

I think Toronto's need for a better backup is overstated, but Campbell is solid enough. Likewise, they kinda, sorta needed some physical oomph on their depth lines and Clifford is a decent enough option. No world changers there, but those guys compete hard and are quality role players. Adding those them to a young roster certainly won't hurt ... but they paid a pretty stiff price for two role players. Whatever. You accumulate resources to use them, and Toronto used some resources to fill some holes. Fine.

I can't understand why anyone would say this.

- Hutchinson has an .866 SV%
- He has 4 wins -- three of them are against Ottawa, NJD, and Detroit.
- He's given up 3 or more goals in a single period in 9 out of his 15 starts
- The Leafs have played at a 115 point pace in games Andersen starts - EVEN THOUGH he's only had 1 month (November) over a .904 SV%
- Our defensive metrics are average to above average
- It's still unknown how long Andersen will be out

A better backup was easily the biggest need right now, there'd be IMO zero chance at a playoff spot without a move here and immediately.

In fact, it should've been done a while ago.

Whatever ... how many points is the backup really costing you? Sure, go get a better one if you feel the need, since there are a million of them out there. All you really need to do is avoid Aaron Dell. But that's a lot to pay for two guys who are basically quality ballast.

Whatever ... how many points is the backup really costing you? Sure, go get a better one if you feel the need, since there are a million of them out there. All you really need to do is avoid Aaron Dell. But that's a lot to pay for two guys who are basically quality ballast.

They're playing at a 115 point pace under Andersen and are sitting out of a playoff spot so... the answer seems obvious to me.

You would think this would be the week when the trading starts to see an uptick. Our old buddy JR use to always like to get out in front of things with the trade deadline and make deals a couple weeks before the deadline. I still think the Canes make at least one move for a veteran defenseman and it will likely be one of Brenden Dillon, Sami Vatanen or Alec Martinez.

Big market for those guys, especially in our Division. Jones going out means Carolina, NYI (Pelech) and Columbus all have top pairing D-men out for the season/long term. That's three teams hip deep in the bottom end of the playoff race. Plus, Toronto and Edmonton have blueline injuries. There's just not a shortage of need for stable veterans and I'm thinking the return cost might get downright silly for that lot.

...and there you go...

JR staying true to form yet again!!! That seems like a nice haul for Minnesota, I never thought Zucker was anything that special and the Wild get a first rounder, a very solid young defenseman in Addison who looked great for Canada at the World Junior tournament and the young, skilled enigma known as Galchenyuk.

Zucker will be a good fit in Pittsburgh. He is a goal scorer with great speed and will produce on Crosby's wing. He is also a strong 2-way player with a reasonable cap hit for another couple of years. Galenchuk was a bust in Pittsburgh and is a UFA after this year. The main part of the trade for Minnesota will be Calen Addison and the low 1st rounder. Addison has a huge ceiling but is pretty undersized. He is the classic boom or bust prospect. Check back on this in a couple of years to see how Addison turns out to see who really wins this trade.

The most interesting part of this trade is just how predictable JR is. Like others mentioned he always tends to strike first before the trade deadline. He also gets hung up on players for years and this is what happened with Zucker. JR almost had him over the summer but Kessel killed the trade. JR likes to get his man.

JR knows the window is starting to close on his dynamic duo and the chips are going all in for the last hurrah.

It's really mind-boggling to me to think that what started out as our greatest asset - defense - had now become our greatest weakness. (OK, we're not scoring with any regularity - but part of that is due to the loss of our offense-minded defenseman, Dougie). 4 of our current 6 defensemen are middlin' at best (and that's being generous).

It's really mind-boggling to me to think that what started out as our greatest asset - defense - had now become our greatest weakness. (OK, we're not scoring with any regularity - but part of that is due to the loss of our offense-minded defenseman, Dougie). 4 of our current 6 defensemen are middlin' at best (and that's being generous).
As much as it pains me to say this, losing Adam Fox hurt the Canes D quite a bit when you consider how well Fox has adapted so quickly to the NHL game. From the Ranger games I have watched this year, Fox has elite vision and skating and is the perfect puck moving defenseman that can drive offense. So subtracting Fox and Faulk from the D definitely left a dent overall. I think the Canes are doing the right thing by dangling that Leafs first rounder to find a decent Top 4 guy with term, that pick is like found money where you might be able to turn that into a defenseman here that can stay for a few years and make a difference. I wouldn't mind Sami Vatanen on a sign and trade deal where you lock him up to an extension, I know Dundon is not a big fan of rentals.

My issue with guys with term is what 4.5m+ guy is going to be on our third pairing next season and how does that affect resigning Dougie. To me that's a benefit of a real rental. Not going to argue it's an efficient use of resources but...

My issue with guys with term is what 4.5m+ guy is going to be on our third pairing next season and how does that affect resigning Dougie. To me that's a benefit of a real rental. Not going to argue it's an efficient use of resources but...

Trading for a guy with term left might exacerbate a looming problem. We’re going to have a cap crunch, maybe next summer, maybe the year after. Haula, Edmundson and TVR have to be replaced or extended. Either option will cost more money, unless Wallmark or Geekie are 3C and the loser of that battle is 4C. Wallmark and Foegele are arbitration eligible. Hamilton and Svech are eligible for extensions, which affects the 21-22 cap; Hamilton will probably need more than the $5.75 million he’s making now. Either that or we go the Faulk route and trade him. But, as we‘re seeing now, Hamilton has a pretty unique skill set that isn’t easily replaced.

Yeah ... that's the rub with the dispassionate, purely analytical approach to roster construction. You can have broad values about things like rental deals being wasteful, but sometimes that has to give way to pragmatic concerns.

Back