• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

What to do?

Deckie007

So it looks like it's very possible that the rest of the NHL regular season will be canceled. Hopefully not, but let's talk about how we're going to handle the league with payouts, order of finish, etc.

I think the only item we can 100% agree on is that Kritter was going to win. He had opened up a 60 pt lead and with teams having anywhere from 12-14 games left, it was pretty obvious no one was catching him. It gets a bit stickier after though. GH has had his lead shrink to 24 on Thunder which isn't insurmountable. Matrim is only 14 back of Thunder. Jonas and I are 3 points apart and Blueman is 11 back of Jonas. So what to do? Just leave it and award as the standings are? I can't think of a fairer way to do it, but up for suggestions.

Probably will need to vote, but I think its hard to adjust or project anything. Leaving it as is would be my choice.

I think it's reasonable to go by FP/G, which produces the same winners.

I don't see any real question to be honest.

We wait to see what the league does... when the season ends, so does this league. Whether there's no more regular season games or not.

I don't see any real question to be honest.

We wait to see what the league does... when the season ends, so does this league. Whether there's no more regular season games or not.
Yeah, basically this. The next 2-4 weeks are critical around the world in terms of understanding where we're at with this disease. Realistically we're probably talking 8 weeks, and all we can do is hope the numbers start trending down. While a vaccine is unlikely I'd say it's likely there will be some kind of medication to help fight off the virus or reduce the symptoms sometime soon, so it's still possible to get back to some sense of normalcy by June or July, even if games need to be played without crowds.

But if in the end the NHL regular season is over, then I guess the current standings (either total points or PPG) will have to do. We could consider other options (maybe cut prizes in half as well as next year's entry fee in half), but can't do much now until we know what happens with the NHL.

Yeah, basically this. The next 2-4 weeks are critical around the world in terms of understanding where we're at with this disease. Realistically we're probably talking 8 weeks, and all we can do is hope the numbers start trending down. While a vaccine is unlikely I'd say it's likely there will be some kind of medication to help fight off the virus or reduce the symptoms sometime soon, so it's still possible to get back to some sense of normalcy by June or July, even if games need to be played without crowds.

But if in the end the NHL regular season is over, then I guess the current standings (either total points or PPG) will have to do. We could consider other options (maybe cut prizes in half as well as next year's entry fee in half), but can't do much now until we know what happens with the NHL.

Why cut the prizes in half? havent the full entry fees been paid?

Wait and see what the NHL does.

If no more games are played and the season is officially over, then the current standings should remain as is and be considered as final.

Prizes should be awarded accordingly and in totality.

Top-ups would also need to be calculated for Draft Lottery purpose and final rankings modified accordingly.

Last edited:
An important point to decide upon would be how to deal with free agents pickups in the moment.

Do we consider the season on hold and therefore any free agents pick up should also be on hold until the NHL season resumes ?

Or do we still allow free agents additions until the season is officially cancelled ?

Why cut the prizes in half? havent the full entry fees been paid?
The idea was that if there's no proper end to the season, one option would be to cut the prizes in half, and apply the other half towards next year's fees, making them half. But it probably doesn't make much sense (maybe for a head-to-head league), plus wouldn't be fair to you since you have a pretty sizable lead.

Half prizes / half fees would have been a great option for a season shortened by 30-40 games.

The NHL teams have played 70 games on average.

That’s about 85% of the season completed.

50% prizes would feel underwhelming at this point.

Nah don't see a reason to cut prizes for anyone. Fairest is just award as is and move on to next season. It sucks because I doubt the order of finish would be exactly as it is now, but this was completely unforseen.

Yeah, for now I guess it's just wait and see what happens with the NHL. But if the regular season does get cancelled, we'll probably just have to consider the current standings as final.

Man, that's a good question. Not every team played the same # of games, and it would create an annoying amount of math. I'll see what I can do when the time comes.

Back