• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Prospect and Calder Cup Winning Charlotte Checkers Thread

cmaleski2

While we wait for the NHL and AHL seasons to kick off, many of our prospects have already started their regular seasons. Lots of placeholders here for now, but I wanted to get this thread started and our prospect list pulled together.

I will say this...having put this list together, with Necas and Svechnikov in the pros already and several of our prospects now in the AHL like Bean and Geekie and Helvig, the list below looks really really really thin.

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 9/30/2018

=======================================

Jack Drury (ECAC Harvard Fr.) Season hasn't started

Luke Henman (QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand) 2 Games 1 Goal 1 Assist +1

Lenni Killinen (Liiga Assat) 3 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists -1

Jesper Sellgren (SweHL Lulea) 5 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists -2

Eetu Luostarinen (Liiga KalPa): 7 Games 1 Goal 1 Assist Even

Luke Martin (Big-10 Michigan Jr.): Season hasn't started

Stelio Mattheos (WHL Brandon): 3 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists +5

Brendan De Jong (WHL Portland): 4 Games 0 Goals 2 Assists -1

Ville Rasanen (USHL Lincoln): 2 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists -1 **** I don't recall hearing anything about Rasanen playing in the USHL this season, but he is...

Adam Fox (ECAC Harvard Jr.): Season hasn't started

Matt Filipe (Hockey East Northeastern Jr.): Season hasn't started

Max Zimmer (Big 10 Wisconsin Jr.): Season hasn't started

Luke Stevens (ECAC Yale Jr.): Season hasn't started

David Cotton (Hockey East Boston College Jr.): Season hasn't started

Jacob Kucharski (USHL Des Moines): 1-0-0 5.00 GAA .815 Sv%

Eetu Makiniemi (Mestis Kiekko-Vanta): I don't believe he has played a game yet.

Jack LaFontaine (BCHL Penticton): 3-2-0 2.21 GAA .906 Sv%

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 2018-19 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

For those interested in the plan for Jack LaFontaine, he has this one year of junior eligibility available, and he is playing it in the BCHL which is a Junior 'A' league. He is hoping to return to Michigan after this one season in Juniors.

https://www.pentictonvees.ca/2018-19-outlook-jack-lafontaine

Considering how little he had played in 2 season at Michigan, this was probably the best route for him to attempt to take. The kid needs to play games and he will get plenty of opportunity to do so for Penticton.

Steven Lorentz, Josh Wesley and Jeremy Helvig were assigned to Florida.

This will be Josh Wesley's final season under contract with the Canes for sure.

This will be Josh Wesley's final season under contract with the Canes for sure.

You'd have to think so. His Dad is no longer in the front office mix and the GM who drafted him is long gone ... and the kid certainly hasn't impressed anybody else in the organization lately.

3rd year pro, still in the ECHL. If you are not a goalie that is a sign your entry level contract will likely be your last NHL contract. Hopefully he has skills in something else or some sort of plan to enroll in school after collecting $135k from the Canes organization this final season.

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 10/7/2018

=======================================

Jack Drury (ECAC Harvard Fr.) Season hasn't started

Luke Henman (QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand) 5 Games 2 Goals 2 Assists +4

Lenni Killinen (Liiga Assat) 6 Games 1Goal 0 Assists Even

Jesper Sellgren (SweHL Lulea) 7 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists -2

Eetu Luostarinen (Liiga KalPa): 10 Games 4 Goals 2 Assists +1

Luke Martin (Big-10 Michigan Jr.): 1 Game 0 Goals 0 Assists -1

Stelio Mattheos (WHL Brandon): 5 Games 5 Goals 4 Assists +4

Brendan De Jong (WHL Portland): 7 Games 2 Goals 5 Assists +3

Ville Rasanen (USHL Lincoln): 4 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even

Adam Fox (ECAC Harvard Jr.): Season hasn't started

Matt Filipe (Hockey East Northeastern Jr.): Season hasn't started

Max Zimmer (Big 10 Wisconsin Jr.): Season hasn't started

Luke Stevens (ECAC Yale Jr.): Season hasn't started

David Cotton (Hockey East Boston College Jr.): Season hasn't started

Jacob Kucharski (USHL Des Moines): 1-0-0 5.00 GAA .815 Sv%

Eetu Makiniemi (Mestis Kiekko-Vanta): Hasn't played yet

Jack LaFontaine (BCHL Penticton): 4-3-0 1.87 GAA .917 Sv%

Looks like LaFontaine finally found a team that will actually let him play. Congrats on that, kid.

If Roy keeps going like that and the Canes keep getting thumped up the middle like we did against the Jerks the other day, I wonder how long before he gets a callup?

If Roy keeps going like that and the Canes keep getting thumped up the middle like we did against the Jerks the other day, I wonder how long before he gets a callup?

Absent an injury, which forward leaves the lineup? Necas’ line has been silent but he’s playing with pluggers. Put Roy at center and move Necas to wing with McGinn with PDG and Zykov scratched? I could live with that.

If PDG doesn't show a LOT more than he's showed in his two games thus far, I know I wouldn't miss him. McGinn has been banged up and could sit. Zykov earned a bit of patience in the pre season, I think. I dunno ... all those are minor concerns as opposed to getting physically dominated up the middle on three out of four lines.

Checkers results last week:

Oct 5 @Rochester W 6-2 Neds with the win. McKeown, Roy x2, Poturalski and Kuokannen x2 with the goals
Oct 6 @Rochester W 4-2 Neds with the win. Roy x2, Geekie and Poturalski with the goals

Checkers play twice this week @Utica on Friday and @Syracuse on Saturday. In addition to Roy's 4 goals and 2 assists, Poturalski has 2 goals and 3 assists and Kuokkanen 2 goals and 2 assists. Smallman has 2 assists. Roy took FOURTEEN SHOTS in those 2 games and scored 2 power play goals and a short handed goal. He took 134 shots in 70 games last season and only scored 11 goals.

If we need to open up an NHL spot for a center, moving Necas to the wing in the Zykov/PDG spot would likely be the answer with Aho to wing as another option. It didn't take long for Zykov to lose his shine. If we are not going to play Zykov I would much rather have someone more skilled than PDG in our lineup but who would bring some 'jam'.

Still way too early to take Roy to the NHL seriously yet, let's see how these next 2 road games go.

Last edited:

Still way too early to take Roy to the NHL seriously yet, let's see how these next 2 road games go.

I agree. Just thinking ahead.

I just can't see how we survive long term with the current group at center. For me, it's just an easy, glaring weakness for other teams to exploit. I think the teams outside of the perceived playoff mix are more likely to take Carolina seriously early on (NYR for example) and adjust their game plans, but we might get by on sheer underestimation from the rest for a little while. But sooner or later something's going to have to give. My opinion only, of course.

If PDG doesn't show a LOT more than he's showed in his two games thus far, I know I wouldn't miss him. McGinn has been banged up and could sit. Zykov earned a bit of patience in the pre season, I think. I dunno ... all those are minor concerns as opposed to getting physically dominated up the middle on three out of four lines.

PDG didn’t play a shift in the 3rd period tonight, I think he’s headed back to the press box.

PDG didn’t play a shift in the 3rd period tonight, I think he’s headed back to the press box.

PDG is who we all thought he was, not much! There are at least 3-4 guys in Charlotte more deserving and more useful than PDG...Roy, Kuokkanen, Metalanan and even Gauthier. I’d love to see PDG replaced with Janne K for a fourth line of Wallmark, Svech and Kuokkanen.

So, we’re on a 142 point pace for now?

Yeah. I noted this in the game thread. He was wasn't even hot garbage in the first two periods. More like day old garbage.

And it's a bit odd to me, seeing as how this higher pressure forecheck should really suit his game. PDG has looked uncomfortable on virtually every shift I've seen him play ... regular season or pre season. Either he's nicked up or he's just so far out of sorts that he's useless. Either way, I think we're watching his swan song with the NHL club.

Back