• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Champions League

Juventus beat Lyon 2-1 but lost the tie on away goals. Then they fired Maurizio Sarri.

And have apparently hired Pirlo to replace him. I mean ... whatever.

Also, reports indicate that Atletico have some positive Covid tests, so there's that.

And have apparently hired Pirlo to replace him. I mean ... whatever.

Also, reports indicate that Atletico have some positive Covid tests, so there's that.

Hiring a former star worked out for Barcelona, Real Madrid and Chelsea with Pep, Zidane and Lampard. But all of them had put in time coaching either the U-23s or B squad and in Lampard’s case, brought Derby to the Championship final before losing to Aston Villa. Taking over a top team with no coaching experience is a dangerous move.

Pirlo has experience being the only guy with a functioning brain driving teams for half his career. I figure he'll be fine ... probably.

Inter, Man U, Sevilla (over Wolves) and Shakhtar Donetsk advance to the Europa League semifinals. Winning the Europa League was Wolves last chance to play in Europe next season.

Atalanta had PSG on the ropes but gave up the equalizer in the 90th minute and the winner in the 93rd minute. PSG advances to the semifinal to play the winner of RB Leipzig/Atletico Madrid.

Inter, Man U, Sevilla (over Wolves) and Shakhtar Donetsk advance to the Europa League semifinals. Winning the Europa League was Wolves last chance to play in Europe next season.
IMO it's going to be good for Wolves in the long run to skip Europe for a year. They have proven that they can defend and counter at a top level, now they need to take the tricky next step and figure out how to play in possession. Until they do that, they're stuck in place.

RB Leipzig get an 88th minute winner from American Tyler Adams and advance to the Champions League semifinals with a 2-1 win over Atletico Madrid. They play PSG in the semis.

Barca are down 4-1 to Bayern after 30 minutes. And the Barca goal was an own goal. Their back line is a complete disaster and the midfield isn't much better. Bayern are toying with them.

RB Leipzig get an 88th minute winner from American Tyler Adams and advance to the Champions League semifinals with a 2-1 win over Atletico Madrid. They play PSG in the semis.
I love that young man unreservedly.

Menos que un club...

8-2 final. It was an utter capitulation in the last 20 minutes. There have to be big changes there, and not just the manager; supporters will be outraged by the lack of heart.

On the other hand, Spurs can feel a bit better about the 7-2 rout by Bayern in group play.

Menos que un club...

8-2 final. It was an utter capitulation in the last 20 minutes. There have to be big changes there, and not just the manager; supporters will be outraged by the lack of heart.

On the other hand, Spurs can feel a bit better about the 7-2 rout by Bayern in group play.

And with Barca’s exit, there will be no representative from La Liga in the UCL semis for the first time in 13 years. If Lyon get past Man City today, there will be 2 from Ligue 1 and 2 from the Bundesliga. And the clubs are on opposite sides of the bracket, so it could be an all French or all German final.

Menos que un club...

Bayern is a freaking buzzsaw right now. They've leaned into that team focus thing during a time when that's a real asset.

Article in Marca that Barca owe Liverpool 5M euros if Coutino wins CL. That's a terrible error in the drafting of the transfer contract if true. Or at least poor negotiating.

And with Lyon’s win over Man City, the semis will have no representatives from the Premier League, La Liga or Serie A since 1991.

With RB Leipzig in the semifinals, I guess the timing was right for The Independent to run this. At the heart of the issue, what is a soccer club? Is it a purely commercial enterprise or is it a reflection of its surroundings? RB Leipzig is only 11 years old and bought a 5th division club to start. But the German federation have a 50+1 rule, where members have a majority of voting rights. Where most clubs sell memberships for €100 per year, membership at RB Leipzig is €1,000 per year and that doesn’t get come with a vote. There are 19 voting members of the club.

With RB Leipzig in the semifinals, I guess the timing was right for The Independent to run this. At the heart of the issue, what is a soccer club? Is it a purely commercial enterprise or is it a reflection of its surroundings? RB Leipzig is only 11 years old and bought a 5th division club to start. But the German federation have a 50+1 rule, where members have a majority of voting rights. Where most clubs sell memberships for €100 per year, membership at RB Leipzig is €1,000 per year and that doesn’t get come with a vote. There are 19 voting members of the club.

Yeah ... PSG and RBR both have weird business models in a sport increasingly filled with weird business models. I will say though, as odd as the Red Bull football program has been, I do enjoy the way they play the game across the board. The fact that they encourage a pressing, high tempo game across all of their club platforms has been fun to watch, if nothing else. Yeah, it's all just a ridiculously expensive Galaxy Brain advertising campaign for an energy drink, but hey ... they ain't boring, and that's a net positive ... I guess.

Last edited:
PSG books their first trip to the Champions League final, beating RB Leipzig, 3-1

It’s Bayern Munich v. PSG in the Champions League final. Bayern makes their 11th trip to the final and is looking for their 6th Champions League championship and first since 2013. A 6th championship will tie them with Liverpool for 3rd most, behind AC Milan with 7 and Real Madrid with 13.

The final is 3:00 on Sunday, on CBS Sports Network.

I didn’t watch a minute of the final, but Bayern won their 6th championship 1-0

I didn’t watch a minute of the final, but Bayern won their 6th championship 1-0
Given all the talent on the field it was pretty dull. You didn't miss much. I think the quality of the final would have been better with a bit of a break between games. Both teams seemed fairly wrung out to me.

Back