• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Misc. Grab Bag Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I wasn’t aware that The Fan made their programming changes because David Glenn was fired. His show was owned by Curtis Media and they fired him on March 6. The 12-3 time slot that Adam Gold moved into is syndicated to all of the same stations as Glen was except for one in Asheville.

Paulie Walnuts

Glenn was OK but talked too much. He got Obama on the show when he was still in office. In radio 11 years is a lifetime. As far as making millions that seems kind of high to me. Maybe he made $2 million at best.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Glenn was OK but talked too much. He got Obama on the show when he was still in office. In radio 11 years is a lifetime. As far as making millions that seems kind of high to me. Maybe he made $2 million at best.
His questions turned into monologues. He’d make a point and then re-phrase it 10 different ways just to make sure we got it.

StormChaserBH

I listened occasionally, in the car, when the radio happened to be on 99.9. My opinion of him didn't grow while reading about him bragging about how many millions he's made or never having made a resume or having so much money he could retire but still debating whether to rake in a bunch more money...

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
David Glenn is ... ummm ... exceptionally full of himself. And yeah, so are a lot of people ... but most of them don't have a platform to spout their views in public for several hours a day. I doubt Glenn is going to stop being a bore now that he doesn't have that platform, but at least I won't have to accidentally stumble into his nonsense takes on the regular.

Paulie Walnuts

Hamilton musical sing a long Friday at 8 , oops looks like it was cancelled.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
David Glenn is ... ummm ... exceptionally full of himself. And yeah, so are a lot of people ... but most of them don't have a platform to spout their views in public for several hours a day. I doubt Glenn is going to stop being a bore now that he doesn't have that platform, but at least I won't have to accidentally stumble into his nonsense takes on the regular.
He was fine in small doses, when he subbed for Gold and even before that with Morgan Patrick. But 3 hours of him on his own show was more than I could take. Fortunately, he was on at a time when I couldn’t listen to him that frequently.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Glenn must have had fans or else he would not have lasted 11 years. Maybe his ratings went down or maybe he wanted more money.
I understand he fell out with Don Curtis personally ... and that's not smart when he's pretty much the sole decision maker in your syndication group.

cmon3

Glenn must have had fans or else he would not have lasted 11 years. Maybe his ratings went down or maybe he wanted more money.
Meh. He talked about basketball in a basketball crazy market and was the only sports radio option available so he had ratings. Not being a basketball fan, I always found him to be unlistenable particularly when he acted like he had a clue about other sports.

NoMich

He talked Hurricanes hockey on a show that had a statewide reach. He even had Hurricanes player/personnel on the show. I'm good with that. I'm sure that Gold will keep that tradition up.

HurryCanes

He talked Hurricanes hockey on a show that had a statewide reach. He even had Hurricanes player/personnel on the show. I'm good with that. I'm sure that Gold will keep that tradition up.
I'll be interested to see (listen) if Gold changes his schtick any with his own show. By the time he left I couldn't even listen to he and Joe go back and forth on stuff that clearly they had to get the last word on. Tuned them out.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... I like Adam personally, but the show got a bit threadbare by the end of the run. Both of them needed new foils. I haven't listened to the new Joe and Joe show but Giglio is capable of being both fun and informative, so once he gets settled in I think that one has some promise.

As for Gold on his own ... I hope he's going to take it in a different direction than the last time he had a solo show. He's got a tendency to get on a soap box and get stuck there when he doesn't have somebody to play off of. And when it comes to hockey, IMO Adam needs somebody who is less emotional on the subject. He gets stuck in bad takes about the Canes because he has trouble separating his personal affection for a player from the good of the team ... I give you his ridiculous takes on Cam Ward and Justin Faulk over the years as a pretty firm illustration of my point. Without somebody to give him a nudge, he's going to one day have an equally emotional take on Jordan Staal once his value on the ice starts to erode. To me that stuff is actually damaging to the fan base rather than helping to build it up. Talk hockey, yes. But make sense.

Paulie Walnuts

Glenn was very open about being liberal and my guess is that Curtis is more conservative. That could have been a source of friction along with declining ratings. G105 recently axed their morning guy Bob who was there over 20 years. That's a clear garbage station. Bob was a Howard Stern wannabe. At least we still have some locally owned stations with Curtis and Capitol .

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Put it this way ... when your ratings dip and you're tight with your boss on a personal level, that's one thing. When your ratings dip and you've repeatedly told your boss something along the lines of "shut up and let me do my job" when he offers input, that's another. Regardless of context, that's what I understand was going on between Glenn and Curtis.

Paulie Walnuts

same thing when a coach starts losing and the college boosters or owner likes them they get a little more chance to turn it around.

Someone told me Amato was not friendly to boosters like other coaches so one down year and out he went. Also heard the opposite was true for Sendek, he let the boosters have a lot of access to practices, etc. so he stuck around when many wanted him gone. Also Matt Doherty was not too friendly , when he was hired he cleaned house of long term people like secretaries so he got off on a bad start. He got the ax after 3 years even though he was one of "Dean's Boys"

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I'll be interested to see (listen) if Gold changes his schtick any with his own show. By the time he left I couldn't even listen to he and Joe go back and forth on stuff that clearly they had to get the last word on. Tuned them out.
Supposedly, Lauren Brownlow is going to have an expanded role on the show. Expanded beyond the 1 hour per week she was on with Gold and Ovies.

I’m semi-curious to listen to the Joe and Joe show. Giglio was solid writer at the N&O and is pretty well plugged in on matters ACC, but Ovies is fairly useless besides providing snark.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
same thing when a coach starts losing and the college boosters or owner likes them they get a little more chance to turn it around.

Someone told me Amato was not friendly to boosters like other coaches so one down year and out he went. Also heard the opposite was true for Sendek, he let the boosters have a lot of access to practices, etc. so he stuck around when many wanted him gone. Also Matt Doherty was not too friendly , when he was hired he cleaned house of long term people like secretaries so he got off on a bad start. He got the ax after 3 years even though he was one of "Dean's Boys"
Amato had a group of very dedicated supporters, but the big money donors were always wary of him. Once he started to lose it and the clown act overshadowed the results on the field, it was almost shocking how quickly it went south for him. Doherty NEVER had the confidence of the bigger Rams Club donors. They supported him out of loyalty but it was always going to be a short rope for him in Chapel Hill.

But yeah ... sports jobs are like any jobs on that level. Broad support both above and below you on the food chain is going to result in you getting a bit more slack in terms of poor performance than if you're a jerk nobody likes. That's pretty much universal.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supposedly, Lauren Brownlow is going to have an expanded role on the show. Expanded beyond the 1 hour per week she was on with Gold and Ovies.

I’m semi-curious to listen to the Joe and Joe show. Giglio was solid writer at the N&O and is pretty well plugged in on matters ACC, but Ovies is fairly useless besides providing snark.
Good. Brownlow has a way of lightening Gold up while keeping the discussion on sports. With Ovies, he could lighten the tone but it inevitably went away from sports and into other stuff.

And I'm not saying "stick to sports" is some sort of high standard for me. But it's a sports radio show so that ought to be the starting point.

Paulie Walnuts

Steve Logan had a funny comment about fans thinking they know a lot about FB. He sat with fans once and said he was amazed many things they said that were way wrong. Another coach said if you listen to fans a lot , you will end up sitting with them.

Pro coaches only need to make the owner and GM happy. College coaches need to make big donors happy even if they are Jim Bob Smith from East Nowhere.