• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Hey guys, we have a hockey keeper league on FI for years now. It’s been fun. We have a few openings if anyone is interested in participating.

He could have possibly gone to MLS if he had money for a stadium . The Charlotte guy has a stadium and lots of cash. He bought the Panthers for $2 billion like he was buying a nickel candy bar. And now he is going to ask for tax money for a possibly domed new stadium and I would bet he gets it.
The very presence of Tepper in Charlotte doomed Malik's MLS hopes, with or without a stadium. Why nobody seemed to understand that at the time is a mystery ... other than the fact that nobody who covers sports in this marker knows the first thing about pro soccer. Bigger market, better owner, bigger ambitions. There is absolutely zero confusion outside of Raleigh as to why MLS picked Charlotte for an expansion franchise. The quicker Malik realizes that dream is dead, the less money he wastes chasing unicorns in the mist.

There's an article in today's Triangle Business Journal about how Malik is trying to raise $5 million from new equity partners in the Courage. Yes, it is specifically for investment in the Courage, which is held in a separate LLC from NCFC. So far he has brought in two new investors for a total of $250K, but again, the intent is to raise $5 million in total. He also teased that there will be a major announcement on that front in the coming weeks.

The article also describes how the NWSL plans to do a Challenge Cup to start its next season. The league's draft is today.

Here is the link, but you will only be able to access it if you're a TBJ subscriber:
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangl...na-courage-steve-malik-raise-owners-nwsl.html

Charlotte market is not that much bigger than here. Still a small market . And they have the NFL and NBA to compete with but not major college sports like we have. . The NFL is the 800 lb monster in sports business. But since they have a stadium and deep pocket owner that's really what matters. And like I said I will be very surprised if he does not get a lot of tax money for a new FB/MLS stadium. And maybe if it's domed we can actually get a Final 4!!! From the morons at the NCAA.

Charlotte market is not that much bigger than here. Still a small market . And they have the NFL and NBA to compete with but not major college sports like we have. . The NFL is the 800 lb monster in sports business. But since they have a stadium and deep pocket owner that's really what matters. And like I said I will be very surprised if he does not get a lot of tax money for a new FB/MLS stadium. And maybe if it's domed we can actually get a Final 4!!! From the morons at the NCAA.
What part about super rich owner who already has an NFL franchise and an NFL stadium did I stutter on? I swear you'd argue with wallpaper.

Even if Tepper didn't have any of that aside from his bank account, if he shows up in the same conference room as Steve Malik then MLS would choose Tepper 100 times out of 100 anyway.

What part about super rich owner who already has an NFL franchise and an NFL stadium did I stutter on? I swear you'd argue with wallpaper.

Even if Tepper didn't have any of that aside from his bank account, if he shows up in the same conference room as Steve Malik then MLS would choose Tepper 100 times out of 100 anyway.

No matter how many gyrations Malik contorted himself into, he was never better than the 5th best candidate, which is unfortunate when the league was only adding 4 teams. There was always going to be someone leapfrogging him, whether it was a big bucks guy like Tepper or Precourt being gifted the team in Austin as the price the league paid to keep a team in Columbus. White elephant stadium or not, MLS was never coming to Raleigh.

MLS added 5 teams - Nashville, Miami, St. Louis , Sacremento and Charlotte. BTW I recall around 1997 another white elephant project was proposed right near CF stadium. What ever happened to that? :) Nashville and Miami started play in 2020 . The others will start in 2022 or 2023.

MLS added 5 teams - Nashville, Miami, St. Louis , Sacremento and Charlotte. BTW I recall around 1997 another white elephant project was proposed right near CF stadium. What ever happened to that? :) Nashville and Miami started play in 2020 . The others will start in 2022 or 2023.

Miami had already been approved before this round of expansion.

Urban Meyer to Jaguars . Guess he wants a challenge of the NFL He's only 56. Most college coaches don't do well in the NFL except for a few guys like Jimmy Johnson. Many have crashed and burned.

Most college coaches don't do well in the NFL except for a few guys like Jimmy Johnson. Many have crashed and burned.

You conveniently ignore the fact that virtually every top NFL head coach has had extensive experience coaching at the college level. Bill Belichick, the leader in terms of wins among active coaches, is the notable exception, as he had coached exclisively at the NHL level.

Every one of the other top five active coaches in all-time wins--Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll, and Sean Payton--have extensive resumes of coaching college ball.

In the end, when we talk about college head coaches making the jump, it depends on whether there success at the college level for more about recruiting or coaching. If it was the former, their chances of succeeding in the NFL will undoubtedly be low.

You conveniently ignore the fact that virtually every top NFL head coach has had extensive experience coaching at the college level. Bill Belichick, the leader in terms of wins among active coaches, is the notable exception, as he had coached exclisively at the NHL level.

Every one of the other top five active coaches in all-time wins--Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll, and Sean Payton--have extensive resumes of coaching college ball.

In the end, when we talk about college head coaches making the jump, it depends on whether there success at the college level for more about recruiting or coaching. If it was the former, their chances of succeeding in the NFL will undoubtedly be low.

And Belichick had off the books college experience, working with his father when he was an assistant at the Naval Academy.

Do some college coaches wash out in the pros? Absolutely, Nick Saban is a notable example. But these guys aren’t stepping into good programs, or there would be no need for them to hire a new coach, right? If the Alabama job hadn’t come open, Saban might have stayed with the Dolphins. It wasn‘t as if the NFL was new to him, he was Belichick’s defensive coordinator in Cleveland before taking the head coach job at Michigan State.

Many of those guys were not head coaches in college were they? I know Carroll was. Spurrier crashed in DC, Lou Holtz in NY. Petrino in Atlanta.

I guess I should have said big name head college coaches don't have a great track record in the NFL.

Many FB coaches prefer the NFL because there is no recruiting or worrying about grades. And they get time off in the summer. And they don't have to kiss the ring of many boosters. Recruiting now is 365 days a year. Some asst. coaches do very little recruiting since they dislike it so much. For example Mark Trestman at NCSU recruited only Wake County.

Here is a Steve Logan recruiting story - there are times of the year when you can only phone players , not see them in person. So coaches would go to kids house and talk on the phone while the kid was 10 feet away. Maybe they outlawed that.

Lou Holtz was nearly 50 years ago. Petrino is an awful person. Spurrier failed in Washington, but it’s not like anyone after him did any better, that franchise has been a train wreck since Snyder bought it. Spurrier finished with the same winning percentage as Jim Zorn and Mike Shanahan. Jay Gruden was only marginally better. Since Snyder bought the team, no coach has left with a winning record; Schottenheimer was 8-8 in his only season. Even Joe Gibbs had a losing record the 2nd time around.

The state lowered the cutoff age for vaccination to 65 and my wife and I got in the queue for a week from today. We have to drive to Eden for it, but whatever works.

The state lowered the cutoff age for vaccination to 65 and my wife and I got in the queue for a week from today. We have to drive to Eden for it, but whatever works.
Question. Do you have to be 65 now or will be 65 in 2021?

Other than Jimmy Johnson I can't think of a big name college head coach who did well in the NFL. Barry Switzer took over a loaded Dallas team and won a Super Bowl so I would not count him. Maybe someone else can find other examples of college guys who did well in the NFL. Bill Walsh was a mediocre college coach at Stanford and did better in the NFL.

Other than Jimmy Johnson I can't think of a big name college head coach who did well in the NFL. Barry Switzer took over a loaded Dallas team and won a Super Bowl so I would not count him. Maybe someone else can find other examples of college guys who did well in the NFL. Bill Walsh was a mediocre college coach at Stanford and did better in the NFL.

Walsh was 17-7 with 2 bowl wins in his first stint at Stanford.

Pete Carroll.

Jim Harbaugh has seen great success with Stanford and the 49ers. Hell, Michigan is never going to be better than what Harbaugh has them doing over the past several seasons.

Bill Walsh was only at Stanford 2 years so he's not in the same group as a guy like Carroll. And Walsh took over from a guy who went 22-12-1 in conference which helps a lot. Meyer may win at Jacksonville time will tell.

Back