• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

Rangers trade forward Vladislav Namestnikov to the Sens for minor league dman Nick Ebert and a 2021 4th rounder. The Rangers also pick up $3.25 million in cap space, even after they retain 18.75% of Namestnikov’s cap hit. He’s in the last year of a 2 year/$8 million contract. Sens also leapfrog Columbus into 30th in cap hit.

I'm trying to figure out the Sens angle to that trade. Namestnikov will be a UFA after this season. The Rangers basically gave him away to free up the cap space, so I see the value there for the Rangers. The Sens are getting what out of that deal? They already are well above the cap floor. They already stink without Namestnikov (this is clearly a tank season). Why would they do this trade?

Maybe they figure that Namestnikov will give them some offense this season and they can walk away afterwards? They like that in Ottawa, and God knows they need the offense. Namestnikov is kind of a pedestrian 3rd liner on most teams but he's got skill and could well respond to more ice time with some production seeing as how he's trying to showcase himself for a new deal this summer.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Jean Hebert #15, Ian Walsh #29

Linesmen:
Pierre Racicot #65, Darren Gibbs #66

We had Walsh in the Tampa game so we’re 1-0 with him this year after 1-2 last year. Florida was 0-3 with him last year. The Canes were 3-2 with Hebert, Florida 2-5 last year. Hebert was 6th in the league with an average of 4 penalties per game. He’s also a relative outlier among his compatriots, he called a higher percentage of penalties in the 3rd period. Most refs call the most in the 2nd.
@andyt, I assume you meant to post this in the GDT.

I still like the extra first rounder coming the Canes way for eating some Marleau money and cap space! Just the thought of two more first round draft picks as well as perhaps two more second rounders if the Adam Fox trade conditions are met is an embrassment of riches for the Canes prospect pipeline moving forward! Marleau was always going to be Sharks or bust since his entire family moved back to San Jose in June!

Plus, it doesn't hurt that Fox has looked to be in over his head early on for the Rangers, right? There's less seller's remorse that way. I'm sure he'll be fine after he adjusts to the pro game, but if he had come out looking like Cale Maker did for the Avs last season we'd all be clutching over that one.

Quick little tour around the NHL/AHL to check in on some players who were in our organization last season:

Trevor Carrick: Pressed into duty for the Sharks due to injuries, Carrick has already played 2 game for the Sharks. He fought Austin Watson last night. The Sharks clearly don't trust him though, he is only playing 7 minutes.

Michael Ferland: -1, no points, no penalties for the Canucks so far

Justin Faulk: 1 PP assist in 3 games. +2. If you didn't see that opening night PP assist, I don't recall him ever making a pass like that on a Canes PP?

Calvin de Haan: He didn't play in the Hawks first game

Greg McKegg: Didn't play in the Rangers first 2 games. Now that Namestnikov was dealt, there is an open spot in the lineup for him

Saku Manalanen: 4 games, 1 assist for Jokerit

Victor Rask: Hasn't played in the Wild's first 2 games

PDG: 1 assist in 2 games for AHL Hartford.

Valentin Zykov: 1 assist in 3 games for Vegas. He is a lineup regular so far this season.

Patrick Brown: 1 goal in 1 game for AHL Chicago

Alexsi Saarela: No points in 1 game for AHL Rockford

Nicolas Roy: Roy is actually currently Vegas' 13th forward. He was a scratch for all 3 Vegas games so far.

Yotes dman Niklas Hjalmarsson is out 3 months with a broken fibula, sustained when blocking a shot from Erik Johnson on Saturday. LeBrun thinks they'll at least initially try to fill it from within, but I bet our old friend JR is on the phone with Chayka trying to move Jerk Johnson.

T
Yotes dman Niklas Hjalmarsson is out 3 months with a broken fibula, sustained when blocking a shot from Erik Johnson on Saturday. LeBrun thinks they'll at least initially try to fill it from within, but I bet our old friend JR is on the phone with Chayka trying to move Jerk Johnson.
They'd be better off playing with 5 defensemen. Seriously. Johnson is below replacement level as often as he isn't these days. Anybody who trades for that guy has a head full of bees.

Valentin Zykov was suspended 20 games for violating NHL PED Policy and referred to a substance abuse program.

Last edited:
According to the Vegas writer for The Athletic, Zykov told GMGM that he knowingly took the substance and has tracked that sort of substance for 4 years.

I wonder if it’s Meldonium? That’s what Maria Sharapova was suspended for and appears to be fairly widely used among Russians.

I've seen a couple of clarification tweets that seem to indicate that whatever supplement package Zykov has been taking he has been taking for 4 years....not that he was intentionally taking a banned substance for 4 years. Tainted batch apparently is the story. An unfortunate lesson for Zykov and hopefully a reminder to all players that they need to VERY careful with the supplements they take.

Back