• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Free Agent Season

Gardiner specifically said in his presser that other clubs offered him one and two year deals, and Carolina was the first to go longer term. That's all it was. There's really no need to read any more into it.
They did what they had to do. We wanted something shorter term or younger. All is good.

Gardiner has to do what is best for him, his back may be finished in two years so it was a no brainer to take the best term deal.

We are a cheap too :):)

I wouldn’t say that...had we got Duchene we would be at the cap.

Same situation each year, MB gives himself space to go shopping but fails in his attempts to lock up deals.

Issue is we have a GM that just can’t close deals and MB seems to think he can endear himself to the fans and media by stating who he tried to get Duchene, Aho, Gardiner, wanted to go after Tavares, offered a deal to Radulov etc....

I’ll say this, trying in most professions without results means shit, yet MB wants to say as he said today.

“Signing players is a two way street, they have to want to come here”

No moron, you have to sell them on coming here and make a pitch and close a deal.

This aint the 70’s anymore where the CH is all it took

Word today is the Habs offered Gardiner three years at a $5.25M AAV.
He wanted 4 years or wanted nothing to do with the crazy media here. Anyways i wanted no part of this guy. Kulak could turn out to be better than him. Romanov will be up here next here. Playing big minutes in the KHL.

I wouldn’t say that...had we got Duchene we would be at the cap.

Same situation each year, MB gives himself space to go shopping but fails in his attempts to lock up deals.

Issue is we have a GM that just can’t close deals and MB seems to think he can endear himself to the fans and media by stating who he tried to get Duchene, Aho, Gardiner, wanted to go after Tavares, offered a deal to Radulov etc....

I’ll say this, trying in most professions without results means shit, yet MB wants to say as he said today.

“Signing players is a two way street, they have to want to come here”

No moron, you have to sell them on coming here and make a pitch and close a deal.

This aint the 70’s anymore where the CH is all it took

He's right though, they have to want to come here. You can't force them. Montreal isn't for everyone. It sucks but no Montreal GMs has been successful is signing free agents. Gainey was probably the best one at that but he was also consistently missing on his big targets.

He's right though, they have to want to come here. You can't force them. Montreal isn't for everyone. It sucks but no Montreal GMs has been successful is signing free agents. Gainey was probably the best one at that but he was also consistently missing on his big targets.

I get it if players don’t want to come here and its stated right off the bat and we had no chance in hell..but finishing runner up like we did with Duchene and Gardiner this summer and other past examples like Radulov and even Panarin when he was entering the league and it was said that he chose Montreal but it fell through tells me this guy has some difficulty closing the deal.

I get it if players don’t want to come here and its stated right off the bat and we had no chance in hell..but finishing runner up like we did with Duchene and Gardiner this summer and other past examples like Radulov and even Panarin when he was entering the league and it was said that he chose Montreal but it fell through tells me this guy has some difficulty closing the deal.

You think?

UFA signings have been a disaster for teams for decades . You get a few win/win scenarios but that`s it

There are very few needle movers available and as you said Montreal isn't in the plans for them which is fine with me

UFA is when you get some missing support pieces , your framework has to be drafted and developed

No point spending like a drunken sailor and get disappointed which typically is the end result in UFA .

He does but again it's nothing new. Gainey had no problem closing players in Dallas but then ended up being runner up in Montreal for the higher profile agents like Hull, Shanahan, Brière.

Panarin is unfortunate. Montreal had the lead but his team ended up going to the finals and he got on the radar of multiple teams after that. Hard to compete with Stanley Cup champions for free agents.

Hard to blame MB when the media here is nothing short of a circus. Really appealing for a player. Not sure exactly what he is suppose to do.

Hard to blame MB when the media here is nothing short of a circus. Really appealing for a player. Not sure exactly what he is suppose to do.

The job is hard. At some point though... you need to close a deal.

The failures are stacking up.

Being active on the UFA market and trade market are definitely complimentary means to improving your team and even teams that draft well need to use those means wisely.

UFA's would be interested in coming to Montreal if they had a winning product on the ice. If the product is not intriguing to an UFA, then it would cost BIG $$$ to come....no?

UFA's would be interested in coming to Montreal if they had a winning product on the ice. If the product is not intriguing to an UFA, then it would cost BIG $$$ to come....no?

The biggest hurdle is the media and the crap that comes with playing in a hockey crazy market .

For most players why bother with the BS that comes with playing here. Weather, taxes , language don't help either .

Players will have better options to play hockey for their families.

So the Jets have totally low balled Laine. Maybe we should make another hostile.... would be funny

The habs far from suck. Will be one hell of a team very soon

Back