• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Free Agent Season

I'll repeat what I said at the time: Sergachev for Drouin, in terms of pure value, isn't a bad trade.

However, we traded our top prospect at the time that was in one of the organization's positions of weakness (and still is) to bolster... a position of strength at wing. A position of strength that is borderline worthless if there are no centers, so we hoped that Drouin could work at center because... dunno. History has clearly shown that wingers can easily move to center without any problem.

It was a desperation trade that made Tampa Bay very happy. I watched Drouin start many games the season before on Stamkos's line only to finish on the 3rd by the end of the game because he's too passive. The same shit he's showing here. He's such a frustrating player because if he had Gallagher or Domi's drive, he could arguably be a top-10, maybe even top-5 player in the league in a career year. But alas...

I'll repeat what I said at the time: Sergachev for Drouin, in terms of pure value, isn't a bad trade.

However, we traded our top prospect at the time that was in one of the organization's positions of weakness (and still is) to bolster... a position of strength at wing. A position of strength that is borderline worthless if there are no centers, so we hoped that Drouin could work at center because... dunno. History has clearly shown that wingers can easily move to center without any problem.

It was a desperation trade that made Tampa Bay very happy. I watched Drouin start many games the season before on Stamkos's line only to finish on the 3rd by the end of the game because he's too passive. The same shit he's showing here. He's such a frustrating player because if he had Gallagher or Domi's drive, he could arguably be a top-10, maybe even top-5 player in the league in a career year. But alas...

the bigger issue for me was that we decide to trade our top prospect to make our team worse
no markov or radulov and got alzner

the bigger issue for me was that we decide to trade our top prospect to make our team worse
no markov or radulov and got alzner

You don't trade an A level gold value prospect with salary control for a JD player

These are trump cards to acquire stars and difference makers .

You don't trade an A level gold value prospect with salary control for a JD player

These are trump cards to acquire stars and difference makers .

At this point after the ok season Drouin had my main issue is not having traded Sergachev but more with what other offers could MB have had for Sergachev?

He was a high value trade chip at that time if the Habs brass were open to using as a trade chip.

At this point after the ok season Drouin had my main issue is not having traded Sergachev but more with what other offers could MB have had for Sergachev?

He was a high value trade chip at that time if the Habs brass were open to using as a trade chip.

DK , you simply dont trade him

He could be that much needed first pair partner for Weber , there was no need to unload him

If we did it had to be for either another A level prospect or in a package for a star that we could work with for at least 5 years

Jake Gardiner on life in Carolina: "I can be pretty anonymous here. My first fan experience was at the golf tournament, this guy came up and said, 'Can you take a photo of me with the mascot?' So I took the picture of him and the mascot. And I was on the team."
21:29 - 21 sept. 2019

To be fair, the experience Gardiner describes is not entirely accurate. He's exaggerating to make a point. NHLers (both Hurricanes players and visiting players) get noticed around town. They just don't get mobbed every time they go to the grocery store or out to the movies or or whatever.

you might be overvaluing Sergachev

Doesn't matter Count , we were sitting on an A level gold trade chip prospect

This isn't a Strome/Nylander 3-4 years after the draft situation where they didn't improve at all and you cut your losses and get what you can .

Buffalo swapped a floater whose stock dropped significantly for a potential top solid top 4 D.

Our former member Ben Kerr has Caufield , Boqvist , Zadina , Suzuki , Zegras , and Dach ranked from 20-15

Are you trading anyone of these guys for Sam Reinhart cause he finally hit the 60 point mark

What do you want for Caufield right now if you shopped him ?

Chevy was in the same 20ish range at the time and we flipped him for an underwhelming return .

As you’ve stated a few times, move the Habs to a no tax US market, they’ll likely be a Cup contender within a couple of years.

Brisebois laid the cards on the table .

Our studs got bridged and so will you

Take it or stay home . In 3 years if your still good we will ink you long term when others come of the cap

Its more than the tax issue , internal cap structures are set

Dubas simply bent over with a blank cheque in one hand and got taken to the cleaners

Those deals should of been 8 years , they even caved in and gave them full up front bonuses

Yeah, as Leafs have learned, once you set precedent inside your organization, it's hard to diverge from it.

They screwed up big time on the Matthews contract, and then on Nylander, so they got stuck for Marner.

Yeah, as Leafs have learned, once you set precedent inside your organization, it's hard to diverge from it.

They screwed up big time on the Matthews contract, and then on Nylander, so they got stuck for Marner.

PN was always going to get his $$ as he saw what McDavid got. Yes McDavid is better and took longer term (he was stupid to do so as he will rot in Edmonton for his most productive years) but PN is pimped as being almost as good so he wanted to be paid. Nylander meh, he was dumb, should have had the balls to hold out all year. Marner was pimped something fierce all year as being almost as good as PN so why should he take less.

It all started when they understandably could not turn down Tavares.

As you’ve stated a few times, move the Habs to a no tax US market, they’ll likely be a Cup contender within a couple of years.

If the Habs were to move to a no tax US market, but they would bring their media, weather, arrogant management and poor drafting, they would not be closer to be a Cup contender within a couple of years.

Montreal's pressure cooker sh*t show media and organizational culture are more important reasons as to why players do not want to sign with the team.

Tampa Bay is a very well managed team with a great internal cap structure and top notch drafting.
They have a plan, vision and identity that talented players want to be part of, and are willing to take a bit less money to build a great team and be successful.

They also have a lot of advantages like weather, no media presence/pressure, and yes taxes.
But the Florida Panther have the same advantages, and yet they have not been close to being a Cup contender for ever.

The way people bring up "taxes loophole" as the main reason for Tampa Bays successes and great contracts is ridiculous and borderline moronic.
(Which is not what Sal mentioned, or anyone else in this thread. It does however comes up a lot in hockey forums.)

And most articles about states taxes % in hockey are simplistic, sensationalists, and inaccurate.
There are a lot of ways to work around taxes.

This is but one example bellow :
-------------------------------------

How pro athletes and other high earners stick-handle high Canadian income taxes

"Sports agents have long bemoaned the tax rates that high-salaried Canadian-based athletes face. For example, Ontario’s top individual tax rate is 53.3 per cent, the highest among all NHL locales.

But wealthy people have tools that can tamp down the effects of those tax rates.

Financial advisers recommend their high-income clients, such as professional athletes, use a vehicle called a Retirement Compensation Arrangement (RCA) to help offset high income taxes. In basic terms, an RCA allows an individual to sock away up to half of their salary each year and delay accessing it until retirement, when the individual may well be living somewhere else and paying a far lower tax rate.

Mr. Parry has put RCAs to work for numerous pro hockey players among the Leafs and Montreal Canadiens.

He has also tried to put them in place for Toronto Raptors basketball players, but the National Basketball Association’s collective bargaining agreement bans the practice. The NBA felt the implementation of RCAs gave the Raptors, the sole franchise outside the United States, “an unfair advantage,” according to Mr. Parry.

Last edited:

Nylander is not overpaid one bit. Put him in your hockey pools this year.

If the Habs were to move to a no tax US market, but they would bring their media, weather, arrogant management and poor drafting, they would not be closer to be a Cup contender within a couple of years.

Montreal's pressure cooker sh*t show media and organizational culture are more important reasons as to why players do not want to sign with the team.

Tampa Bay is a very well managed team with a great internal cap structure and top notch drafting.
They have a plan, vision and identity that talented players want to be part of, and are willing to take a bit less money to build a great team and be successful.

They also have a lot of advantages like weather, no media presence/pressure, and yes taxes.
But the Florida Panther have the same advantages, and yet they have not been close to being a Cup contender for ever.

The way people bring up "taxes loophole" as the main reason for Tampa Bays successes and great contracts is ridiculous and borderline moronic.
(Which is not what Sal mentioned, or anyone else in this thread. It does however comes up a lot in hockey forums.)

And most articles about states taxes % in hockey are simplistic, sensationalists, and inaccurate.
There are a lot of ways to work around taxes.

This is but one example bellow :
-------------------------------------

How pro athletes and other high earners stick-handle high Canadian income taxes

"Sports agents have long bemoaned the tax rates that high-salaried Canadian-based athletes face. For example, Ontario’s top individual tax rate is 53.3 per cent, the highest among all NHL locales.

But wealthy people have tools that can tamp down the effects of those tax rates.

Financial advisers recommend their high-income clients, such as professional athletes, use a vehicle called a Retirement Compensation Arrangement (RCA) to help offset high income taxes. In basic terms, an RCA allows an individual to sock away up to half of their salary each year and delay accessing it until retirement, when the individual may well be living somewhere else and paying a far lower tax rate.

Mr. Parry has put RCAs to work for numerous pro hockey players among the Leafs and Montreal Canadiens.

He has also tried to put them in place for Toronto Raptors basketball players, but the National Basketball Association’s collective bargaining agreement bans the practice. The NBA felt the implementation of RCAs gave the Raptors, the sole franchise outside the United States, “an unfair advantage,” according to Mr. Parry.
We will probably win the cup before the bolts do.

Back