• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

HurryCanes

like I said, they don't seem to promote web lottery ticket buying much at all. Web buys mean people would not go to stores as much so maybe that's why it's not promoted.
First time buyer here, for both lotteries. Didn’t match a single damn number LOL. Did it online and did from the security of my COVID free living room.

NoMich

Ugh. Pewter and crimson in the Super Bowl? Boring *and* ugly. I was really looking forward to a green/gold vs red/gold. /sigh another boring Super Bowl to look at.

CanadaCanes

I have never been a Brady fan but I must admit it's simply amazing that the man is headed to his tenth Super Bowl in his career. That is just a staggering number to ponder for any player in any team sport when you consider how hard it is to get there.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Frank Lampard was sacked by Chelsea Football Club today. What does that have to do with anything? He was a club legend as a player, making 648 appearances and scoring 211 goals. And he still got whacked, after a little over 18 months and 84 games in charge and a .524 winning percentage. They were top of the table at the beginning of December but have only won 2 of their last 8 and dropped to 9th.

So why on a Canes board? Coaches inevitably get fired, rarely do they get to walk away on their own terms. What happens to a club legend when coaching goes poorly? The last thing I wanted was Brind’Amour’s legacy as a player to be tarnished by a poor run behind the bench. But the 2 years in charge have given me hope that it won’t happen with him. I also don’t think Tom Dundon is as psychopathic as Chelsea’s owner, either. Lampard was the 16th coach, including caretakers, since Roman Abramovich took ownership in 2003. Only 4 have lasted 100 games, which is less than 2 seasons. There have been 5 coaches with less than a season.

Paulie Walnuts

around here a bunch of alum coaches were fired. Les Robinson, Sidney Lowe, Chuck Amato, Matt Doherty , John Bunting to name a few . Robinson technically quit but almost nobody wanted him to stay. Alum coaches are not immune from firing but they may get more time. The coaches after K and Roy Williams may be alums but if they are smart they will hire the best guy for the job and not worry about where he played

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Frank Lampard was sacked by Chelsea Football Club today. What does that have to do with anything? He was a club legend as a player, making 648 appearances and scoring 211 goals. And he still got whacked, after a little over 18 months and 84 games in charge and a .524 winning percentage. They were top of the table at the beginning of December but have only won 2 of their last 8 and dropped to 9th.

So why on a Canes board? Coaches inevitably get fired, rarely do they get to walk away on their own terms. What happens to a club legend when coaching goes poorly? The last thing I wanted was Brind’Amour’s legacy as a player to be tarnished by a poor run behind the bench. But the 2 years in charge have given me hope that it won’t happen with him. I also don’t think Tom Dundon is as psychopathic as Chelsea’s owner, either. Lampard was the 16th coach, including caretakers, since Roman Abramovich took ownership in 2003. Only 4 have lasted 100 games, which is less than 2 seasons. There have been 5 coaches with less than a season.
I mean, you nailed it with the observation that Dundon is nothing like Abramovich. Plus, FA football is really nothing like the NHL when it comes to the culture of rotating coaches as basically disposable parts. Some clubs change managers more often than I change the oil in my car.

HeyKurtz

I also don’t think Tom Dundon is as psychopathic as Chelsea’s owner, either.

Perhaps Abramovitch is a psychopath, but there's little question he had to dump Lampard. Being ninth on the table after a $300 million net spend in the transfer market is not an unacceptable performance.

If they end up hiring Thomas Tuchel as his replacement, it will be a sad day for Chelski-haters like me.

Paulie Walnuts

Fulham is terrible but the coach has not been axed yet. They went 5 games scoring 2 goals total.

Here is something funny when Guthridge retired at UNC someone said they should not just look at hiring UNC alums to coach. The person who said that was Dean Smith! they ignored him and hired Doherty who barely lasted 3 years Doherty got off to a bad start by firing a lot of BB staffers such as admin assistants who had been there for a long time .

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Perhaps Abramovitch is a psychopath, but there's little question he had to dump Lampard. Being ninth on the table after a $300 million net spend in the transfer market is not an unacceptable performance.

If they end up hiring Thomas Tuchel as his replacement, it will be a sad day for Chelski-haters like me.
IMO the issue was a lot less about Lampard and a lot more about whoever manages player acquisition for Chelsea. The REALLY messed up a well balanced lineup for no good reason other than to splash cash for names. Yeah, maybe you have to move Lampard out to find somebody who can handle the jumble of mis-fitting parts they have now, but the root cause wasn't Lamps ... at least not for me.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Fulham is terrible but the coach has not been axed yet. They went 5 games scoring 2 goals total.
Fulham fully expect to land back in the Championship and both spend and manage accordingly. Chelsea have a completely different set of expectations. That comparison isn't even apples to oranges. It's more like comparing apples to a cloud.

Paulie Walnuts

If Fulham are tanking they are doing a great job at it . I suppose they don't think the extra money in premier is not worth what it would cost them. Maybe they should bring back the Michael Jackson statue at the stadium

HeyKurtz

If Fulham are tanking they are doing a great job at it . I suppose they don't think the extra money in premier is not worth what it would cost them. Maybe they should bring back the Michael Jackson statue at the stadium
Do you know the first thing about Premier League soccer?

Scott Parker is a solid manager, especially considering this is his first top-flight chance leading a side. Fulham have a good long-term plan--they're currently in the middle of a major expansion and renovation of Craven Cottage--that involves getting back to the Premier League in the next year or two. Their challenge will be to hold on to Parker to see them through the plan.

Paulie Walnuts

I know that a team makes way more money in premier than level 2. Seems like it would be easier to stay there than to hope you can get back up there.

The Fulham owner also owns Jacksonville in the NFL and they have made the playoffs once since he took over in 2011. He's about to hire his 5th coach. Maybe Lawrence is what they need. they also need major help on defense His track record in sports ownership is not good

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I know that a team makes way more money in premier than level 2. Seems like it would be easier to stay there than to hope you can get back up there.
Considering how they've bounced back and forth, they're doing quite nicely on the balloon payments that teams get when relegated from the Prem. Shahid Kahn found a solid young manager in Parker and backed him with a good support staff while they build up the infrastructure to actually make another run at sticking in the top flight. The reason they aren't desperate to stay up now is that it's all a work in progress and they have a very rare quality in English football ... patience. They're always going to be a lower budget team, so they've gone about building the slow steady way instead of throwing money and managers at something unrealistic. I applaud them for it.

The NFL is a completely different kettle of fish and clearly the guy hasn't found a game plan that works yet. He may never, who knows? But that doesn't take away from the good work he's doing at Fulham. You can be a good owner in one league and a crap one in another, after all. They aren't mutually exclusive.