• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Paulie Walnuts

NCSU - VT game at PNC Sat is cancelled . They might be able to find a team to replace VT Syracuse is off this weekend but they beat NCSU twice . They might agree to a 3rd game here

cmaleski2

I don't like Chicago style pizza. My least favorite part of a pizza is the sauce. Chunky tomato sauce to the extreme? My taste buds and heartburn say no thanks.

LJG

Piccola Italia in Camero...errr!...Village District (the new name still cracks me up with its unintentionally hilariously over the top genericness), right? That place is good too. A Raleigh institution. My wife used to eat lunch there all the time when she worked at that library. In fact, we may even had a NYE dinner or two there before we headed out on the town. I know, we're so fancy.
Yes, Cameron Village.
Had a late dinner there w/ some old friends of mine and my wife the night we got married after dust of the day settled. Long damned day.
Back in school or right after I graduated, a bunch of us went to dinner there. We had already eaten. Mushrooms! They kicked in good after we ordered. Got our dinners and just sat laughing away. Could not touch the food. I could see Frank peering over the glass with a 'wazza the mattah with these kids?" look on his face.

JFG

When I turned 18 in 1978, we started the summer drinking Molson Golden for about $2.35 a 6 pack. We stepped down to Miller’s version of Loewenbrau at about $1.80 a 6 pack. But the end of the summer we were drinking Beer. Generic beer in a pony bottle, with a label that came off easily when wet, brewed in a grubby brewery in Wilkes-Barre, PA. It was only sold at A&P supermarkets and was $0.99 a 6 pack. There was a bar we hung out at that sold Genesee Cream Ale for $0.40 a mug.
Anyone remember Maximus Super? A friend in our circle would shotgun those babies. Was a freak!

dwind

From 65 to 67 I was stationed in Sanford, Florida.
we’d get our beer on base for like $3/case and fill our cars up. Then we’d go to Daytona, note beer was allowed on the beach for a while. We’d sell a bunch of it for double, triple what we payed for it. We’d also sell our old work shirts and dungarees.
that would usually pay for our weekend.

LJG

Saw a post that Master of Puppets was released 35 years ago this week. Damn. I’m old!
Saw Metallica touring it opening for Ozzy. Blew away Ozzy’s band. Simple stage set also. Two crosses either side of Lars.
I known what my pedaling tunes are tonight!
\m/ \m/ on!

Paulie Walnuts

for first time since 1954 start of ACC , NCSU,Duke,WF and UNC are all not in the top 4 ACC tourney seeds. 66 year streak is over

also Duke won't get a NCAA bid unless they win ACC touney. First time since 95 no bid First time no bid with K since 1983. He was out with back surgery in 95

Last edited:

cmaleski2

It still amazes me how effortlessly Malik pulled that move off to perfection. You see some of the skilled players pull off between the legs shots and succeed somewhat routinely now, but back 15 years ago there weren't too many players daring to attempt that shot.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
It still amazes me how effortlessly Malik pulled that move off to perfection. You see some of the skilled players pull off between the legs shots and succeed somewhat routinely now, but back 15 years ago there weren't too many players daring to attempt that shot.
He was 15th in the shootout for a reason, he only had 33 goals in 691 regular season games, with a season high of 7 for Vancouver in 2002-03. He had a total of 6 goals, 2 each season, for the Rangers. So to me, that makes it even more amazing at how effortlessly he pulled it off.

My favorite part of it is still the wave as he skates back up the boards, like “thanks for coming!”

NoMich

It just tells you the level of talent that it takes to make, and actually make a career of, the NHL. He wasn't a goal scorer, but he still had to have the athleticism and talent to even get there in the first place.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
You guys are old enough to remember how well Glen Wesley could do stick handling tricks, right? Wes never played anything like a flashy game, but his hands were off the charts good, on par with guys in his era that you might expect to have a bag full of tricks like Gretzky. Sometimes guys just have hidden or obscured talents, even when they already play a pro sport at a fairly high level.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
You guys are old enough to remember how well Glen Wesley could do stick handling tricks, right? Wes never played anything like a flashy game, but his hands were off the charts good, on par with guys in his era that you might expect to have a bag full of tricks like Gretzky. Sometimes guys just have hidden or obscured talents, even when they already play a pro sport at a fairly high level.
True, once upon a time, Wesley was an offensive dman, with 16 goals in each of his last 3 seasons in the WHL and then scoring 77 goals in 7 season with the Bruins. He only scored 51 more in his 13 seasons with the Whalers/Canes, with only 5 In his last 5 seasons, covering 354 games.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Duke’s basketball season is over, they reported a positive Covid test and will not play tonight. With a crackdown threatened on campus and a 10 player positive cluster on the football team, this is not a surprize.