• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

bagopux

Yeah, two blocks from my house.
The black bear off Millbrook Road a few weeks ago was two houses down from me. Ironically, we were in the mountains that weekend with our dogs and our bear spray which we had just bought because we were warned of bear activity where we were staying. No bears there, naturally.

Pucking Lamplighter

Haven't seen a bear here this year so far. At least one was spotted up the road a few weeks ago. We see Grey and Red foxes pretty often. There's a male Red that crosses in front of one of my trail camera regularly. One of the bearded hen turkeys had 10 poults that we see almost every day. She was gone for almost 2 months & I figured she was a nesting causality. But, she showed up with a gang of little ones.

Jim

Bearded Hen with 10 Poults...jpg

HNIM

We were playing golf in Myrtle in March and it was apparently the height of mating/roosting season. First thing we noticed was all the noise, and we thought we were next to a turkey farm. Next thing you know all these toms come strutting out of the woods in full display, strolling across the fairway. Since I had never seen a turkey display before, I thought it was awesome.

Paulie Walnuts

Oakland As might move to LV if they can't get a deal in Oakland. I guess all the talk about teams can't be in LV due to gambling is ancient history now. NBA probably next up for LV via expansion or relocation. I believe the Knicks have the oldest NBA arena but they are clearly not moving.

NoMich

The issue is still there, though, whether these teams or leagues want to admit it or not. It's only a matter of time before one of these highly competitive athletes that loves to gamble gets in way over their head and comes to an agreement with the wrong element.

HeyKurtz

The issue is still there, though, whether these teams or leagues want to admit it or not. It's only a matter of time before one of these highly competitive athletes that loves to gamble gets in way over their head and comes to an agreement with the wrong element.
Yes, but these days, the physical location of teams has little to do with that.

NoMich

I think the location for this topic makes it easier to occur, though. You know, LV being the hive of scum and villainy (and honestly, a very boring hive at that)

Paulie Walnuts

Like the local UNC grad NBA BB player who "retired" and played AA baseball for a year? And some even say his father was killed over gambling debts but I don't buy that part of the story. I can buy the NBA did not want to suspend him so that's why he took a year off.

NoMich

I guess I'm being too coy with my definition of "trouble." Yes, you can gamble just about everywhere these days and get in your over your head, but I imagine it's a lot easier to get entangled with organized crime elements over your gambling debts in Vegas that you can in, say, Raleigh.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I mean, Vegas is hardly the only US city with a major organized crime presence. I've never quite understood why the mere presence of legal sports books in a city disqualify it from hosting a pro franchise other than "it's just a bad idea." Atlantic City is basically a suburb of Philly and nobody seems to care about that market as a pro sports town.

Tryamw

I mean, Vegas is hardly the only US city with a major organized crime presence. I've never quite understood why the mere presence of legal sports books in a city disqualify it from hosting a pro franchise other than "it's just a bad idea." Atlantic City is basically a suburb of Philly and nobody seems to care about that market as a pro sports town.
The veneer as it wasn't the CITY the team was in.. (I don't disagree about your point)

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Brisbane likely getting 2032 summer olympics. Paris 2024 and LA 2028 They no longer use a bidding process to pick a site.

It’s official, the Olympics are going back down under in 2032.

NoMich

Giannis Antetokounmpo is very very good at basketball. Helluva game last night, scoring 50 points, grabbing 14 rebounds, and rejecting about 200 of Devin Booker's lane drives. If anybody wants to know the difference between confidence and hubris, it was on display last night. Booker driving the lane against Giannis the first time is confidence, every time after that is hubris. What's the definition of insanity? Repeatedly attempting the same thing with no changed results?

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Giannis Antetokounmpo is very very good at basketball. Helluva game last night, scoring 50 points, grabbing 14 rebounds, and rejecting about 200 of Devin Booker's lane drives. If anybody wants to know the difference between confidence and hubris, it was on display last night. Booker driving the lane against Giannis the first time is confidence, every time after that is hubris. What's the definition of insanity? Repeatedly attempting the same thing with no changed results?
Giannis officially joins the superstar club with that title. Good on him. They guy is pure fun to watch when he's healthy.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Giannis officially joins the superstar club with that title. Good on him. They guy is pure fun to watch when he's healthy.
He reportedly was sick after game 5 and needed IV treatment. And then he comes back with THAT game. Unbelievable.