• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Same thing is happening in pretty much every tight housing market. Areas where development is also booming are less of a problem, but that's been tough with the labor shortages of the last year and change. And to a lesser extent, material shortages ... although that's been more of a price issue in residential

LJG

My sister in Portland, OR has been trying to buy a house for the better part of a year. They were pre-qualified for a mortgage and kept losing bidding wars to people paying up to $100k over asking. Cash offers.
Our office manager is a local realtor and tells us about the same thing.
Fudging insane!

CanadaCanes

I feel bad for young couples and younger homebuyers in general that try to buy in this insane real estate market right now. My wife is an agent and the prices that even townhomes are selling for are simply insane. We just had one house in our neighborhood last month see a bidding war that elevated the home to $60K over asking price.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I’m guessing she left for the same reason that Mark Armstrong did. Local sports aren’t a big deal on the evening news anymore.

Ed Crump’s last day is tomorrow too but he’s retiring.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
It's my understand that Bridget got asked to do a lot more than just cover sports if she was going to get another contract and she bailed because ... she wants to actually do sports. The job they hired her to do. She's not really my cuppa tea on air, but she's got some charisma. I'm sure she'll get another opportunity soon enough.

cmaleski2

The house right next to mine was sold this past July. Officially listed just for 1 day and they got over a dozen offers on that one day without a single in person visit to the house. The offer they accepted was $80k over ask.

Things around here have gotten so nutty that a new construction 55+ community in Fuquay that my Mom was interested in is no longer simply allowing interested parties to select a lot and sign a new construction contract to build a house. They actually are releasing a couple lots a week and taking 'bids' for the lots. High bid for the lot wins. And having participated in (and failed) on 4 cycles of those bids with my Mom, they are going for a substantial sum. Meanwhile the builder, in addition to cashing in on the bidding frenzy for the lots, has raised the base cost of the houses they are building 5 separate times in the last 3 months.

As long as people keep showing a willingness to pay more, this trend will continue around here.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Man, nothing in my neighborhood even really gets to the open market anymore. It was always a short average turnaround but lately the first realtor sign you see already has the sold sign on it.

Pucking Lamplighter

I got tired of having to rebuild, repair, & clean up after tenants on my rental house over & over, so it goes on the market next week. I spent all day every Friday, Saturday, & Sunday over the past 8 weeks cleaning & fixing it up. (the last tenant better stay out of the woods where I turkey hunt... just sayin') because I hate trespassers. I'm very much hoping for crazy prices over asking. My wife and I bought it 16 years ago (as a place to house her parents who were on a fixed income) for $72K, did a LOT of upgrades & improvements myself and it is being offered for $325K. It is a 1,375 s.f. brick ranch with a 3 y.o. roof, fresh paint, 5 y.o. gas pack heat & AC, vinyl windows, and laminate flooring in a neighborhood where a similar size, not as well appointed house just sold for a shade over $300K. I think the asking price is crazy, but I wouldn't turn down more money if it was offered. I have visions of posing for a picture with the check, like a kid who just got enough money to buy his first set of real goalie pads. S#!T eating grin & all. Looking forward to stepping away from that ball & chain and getting more of my life back.
I heard the fish are biting somewhere...my kayak forgets what water tastes like too.

Jim

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I got tired of having to rebuild, repair, & clean up after tenants on my rental house over & over, so it goes on the market next week. I spent all day every Friday, Saturday, & Sunday over the past 8 weeks cleaning & fixing it up. (the last tenant better stay out of the woods where I turkey hunt... just sayin') because I hate trespassers. I'm very much hoping for crazy prices over asking. My wife and I bought it 16 years ago (as a place to house her parents who were on a fixed income) for $72K, did a LOT of upgrades & improvements myself and it is being offered for $325K. It is a 1,375 s.f. brick ranch with a 3 y.o. roof, fresh paint, 5 y.o. gas pack heat & AC, vinyl windows, and laminate flooring in a neighborhood where a similar size, not as well appointed house just sold for a shade over $300K. I think the asking price is crazy, but I wouldn't turn down more money if it was offered. I have visions of posing for a picture with the check, like a kid who just got enough money to buy his first set of real goalie pads. S#!T eating grin & all. Looking forward to stepping away from that ball & chain and getting more of my life back.
I heard the fish are biting somewhere...my kayak forgets what water tastes like too.

Jim
Dude ... I sold my rental property in 2019 for the same reasons, but my timing SUCKED. If I had toughed out another rental agreement I'd have been selling in a super hot market instead of a medium warm market. Either way, I'm thrilled not to have to deal with renters complaining about the smallest freaking things, repairs and replacing carpet simply because even nice people live like freaking pigs.

CanadaCanes

Jim
Jim, I want to see that picture with the check and shit eating grin posted on here when you sell it!!! Trust me, it will very likely go at the number you hope...

Pucking Lamplighter

We can't predict the future, otherwise I'd be winning the lottery weekly, living large, and never would have gotten into the landlord gig in the first place. There's not enough space on this entire forum to list all the F'ed up mess my so called tenants did to that property over the past 13 years. I literally could have cried when I saw the condition the last occupants left that house in...mainly, because I knew who would be doing much of the cleaning and all of the repair work. Never mind that we have a standing rule of "call us any time if something is broken and not working right & We'll fix it, or hire somebody else to immediately." that rule was made abundantly clear before the papers are signed. Five years ago, that rental house was leased to a man, his wife, and their 2 young children. After a year, the man & woman ended up up not being able to stand each other, so the marriage ended and the woman moved out. The man's brother moved in to help look after the kids (so they say), and that's about the time the cleaning stopped. We found out through the neighbors that the brother was selling drugs out of the house at all hours of the day & night, which left the kids free to do excessive artwork on the walls.

I stopped counting when I got to 50 pieces of chewed gum stuck to the floor. I'm sure my wife scraped up at least as much gum as I did too. Who does that? The back hose bib was wrung off the copper water line, which left a constant flow of water running into the crawlspace. There was 11 inches of standing water that I had to belly crawl through and work in to fix the leak. In the kid's room, there is a scorch mark in the middle of the floor from a hot clothes iron that somebody decided it would be a good place to set there for some extended period of time. Lucky the place didn't burn down. They violated the no pets policy they agreed to and would bring the dog into the tile bathroom on very cold nights. The only place it could dig to get out was at the door & it almost got all the way through the door and frame. The wire clothes racks in the master bedroom closet must have looked like a jungle gym, because the kids pulled them down and knocked holes in the sheetrock in the process. I stripped all the sheetrock out, tore the closet down to studs, then put in 2' X 8" treated boards as backing to mount the sheetrock and closet racks to. Now, even I can do pull ups on the dang things & it's absolutely NOT coming down without tools. When the kitchen counter tops got wrecked enough from pot & skillet burns, knife cuts (what civilized human doesn't use a cutting board?), and hammer blows (wish I was kidding), they decided to stick stone pattern linoleum floor tiles to all the counter tops. I guess so really hot pots could burn through all layers? When they took over that house, all nail holes were patched and freshly painted. In the family room alone, there was 179 nail holes in that one room alone. Looked like someone pulled the safety bar back on a nail gun & just went nuts spraying #8 finishing nails around the room. Three doors were kicked off the hinges and door latches were broken out of the frames.. Both door handles were broken off the less than 3 year old refrigerator (brand new when we had it delivered), I'm sure from kids swinging on them. I'm going to stop now, because the more I write, the madder it makes me. I really should have suspected something when they started hand delivering the rent check, so we didn't need to go there. My wife refused to invade on their privacy, bad idea, huh? Remember that old American Tourister commercial on TV where they'd give a gorilla a suitcase to let him sling it around the room to see if he could destroy it? I'm pretty sure that's who my tenants are related to.

Anyway. sorry, I had to vent. I haven't had much human contact lately and I had to get some of this off my chest.

If I could do back flips, I sure feel like cutting loose with some right about now. I rode by the house today, just to look at the for sale sign. Oh, happy day! Getting in practice for that big grin.

Jim

SlapShots

My elderly mom is finally ready to sell the family home and move up here, but it’ll be hell to find something in this market. It’ll be easier (financially) to renovate my home than for her to buy something. Townhomes, which is all she needs, are going well over $300k. My sister got an offer on her house from an out of state group buying up properties for ask, sight unseen. She refused, she’s not the only one who’s gotten that type of offer.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Bezos might buy Broncos with pocket change
The team isn’t formally for sale yet but it’s likely to happen next year. It’s been run by a trust since Pat Bowlen was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2013. He died in 2019. Only 1 of his children has expressed any interest in running the team, she’s currently a VP but is viewed as too inexperienced. With Forbes estimating the franchise value at $3.75 billion, the other members of the Bowlen family might want to cash out and it’s doubtful that she could raise the funds as head of an investment group to buy out the rest of the family.

Pucking Lamplighter

I've seen Paul Allen's yacht in Bonaire a few times when we were on dive trips there. YIKES, is that thing a beast. It has a helipad & helicopter and the tenders are nicer than most of the other boats in the marina. I don't know if he was ever there when we were, we don't run in the same circles...go figure? I did run into Kathleen Turner at the bar next door to where we stayed about 20 years ago. She wasn't trying to hide out or anything, just having a good time like everybody else. Not that that has anything to do with anything...just random grab bag fodder.

Jim