• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

For anyone that has not had a chance to enjoy the Umstead Hotel and Spa I highly recommend. Took my wife there this past weekend for an overnight anniversary stay and tried Herons for the first time. Not being anywhere close to a foodie...I was reluctant to give Heron's a try for their four course dinner, but that ended up being a real treat! The Spa was also fantastic for a massage and a nice getaway from the kids. The place was just relaxing overall and had a great vibe to get away without really going too far.

My daughter is a freshman at Bama and went to my first game in Tuscaloosa on Saturday. Great setting for a game and the band is amazing. Incredibly fast team they’ve got and great skilled positions but definitely beatable right now if their run defense doesn’t tighten up. Whole different slice of Americana at those games.

For anyone that has not had a chance to enjoy the Umstead Hotel and Spa I highly recommend. Took my wife there this past weekend for an overnight anniversary stay and tried Herons for the first time. Not being anywhere close to a foodie...I was reluctant to give Heron's a try for their four course dinner, but that ended up being a real treat! The Spa was also fantastic for a massage and a nice getaway from the kids. The place was just relaxing overall and had a great vibe to get away without really going too far.
I heartily agree. My oldest worked there as a hostess when they first opened, we’ve been back several times since. I’ve never had a bad meal or bad service there. It ain’t cheap. But it’s worth it.

My daughter is a freshman at Bama and went to my first game in Tuscaloosa on Saturday. Great setting for a game and the band is amazing. Incredibly fast team they’ve got and great skilled positions but definitely beatable right now if their run defense doesn’t tighten up. Whole different slice of Americana at those games.
Did they 'recruit' her and offer substantial financial aid?
I have heard elsewhere they do that.

Heron's IS great. Steven Devereaux is just an awesome chef ... and I still miss his original place in Greenville SC, which was in a more relaxed setting.

My wife and I went there when it first opened and talked the maitre-d'hotel into showing us a room (helped by the fact my wife's job was meeting planning). Wow. And after 20+ years it is still a monument to good taste.

We haven't been to Heron's for at least a decade, but at the time we actually preferred to eat in the bar, because we thought the food was plenty good and WAY less expensive. They used to have ultra-thin spiral cut deep fried pickles... holy cow.

Did they 'recruit' her and offer substantial financial aid?
I have heard elsewhere they do that.
I wish! I have heard they do give away a fair amount of money to kids. About 40% of freshmen were out of state. We have a tuition benefit from my wife being a duke “lifer” employee which helps a lot.

I have been silent for a long time reading this forum. I really respect all of the hockey news and observations. There really is no where in the world better to get Canes fan experience. I have to say that this COVID response prevalent here is profoundly ignorant of true science and borders on mass psychosis. The same people who made this thing are in charge of the talking points and make the so called vaccines . These same people make the so called vaccines, which obviously don't work, but actually put the ones who take it closer to illness than the others, and make them spreaders of the spike proteins! And, they still get diagnosed with covid, and STILL wear mask.

I guess the people here consider themselves liberal and some think they can force their toxic, I'll informed thoughts to the rest. Remember, my body my choice.

They ones who did this to us are the ones into depopulation.

I know this is scary but some people are not scared. If you really believe in God, why have fear. Get off me man.

Last edited:
Just for the record I am definitely not liberal but definitely do not agree with your take.

What scares me more than anything is what will happen if the 'next one after COVID' is far more deadly than COVID has been and this same polarized take about vaccines and masks and 'I can do whatever I want the rest of you be damned' prevails. I'll just leave it at that and wonder if a disease like measles or polio or mumps popped up today for the first time if we would stand much of a chance of combating it effectively.

Last edited:
We know that the vaccines reduce the severity of the illness with the current versions of COVID-19.

We know that those with the vaccines are more likely to be asymptomatic if infected.

We know every time a virus replicates there is chance for mutation.

We know that if it continues to replicate it will continue to mutate.

We know that eventually if this continues there will be a much more serious version.

The vaccines aren’t eliminating infections as much as reducing symptoms. If you don’t know you’re sick you’re less likely to avoid other people (or be avoided).

We know that being less sick and having a lesser chance of death is good.
We know that not overtaxing our hospitals is good (or minimizing that as much as possible.

We don’t really know much more than that. We don’t know if masks are effective or not. We don’t know why some people get really sick and others don’t.

We don’t know the long term impact of the vaccines on fertility, potential birth defects, any other long term health impacts.

So when people act like they’re sure that everyone should get the vaccines or that there is something sinister in the vaccine, that is not something they can know.

Personally I think that the politicization of this illness has made it much worse. I don’t think it would be that way without those on the left placing so much political emphasis on it. I’m conservative. I got the jabs. Most of my family and friends did too. I don’t see this as a political issue if the media and leftist politicians didn’t try to use this crisis to their advantage.

I think the science on this is and has been an unknown which is why the recommendations continue to change.

If people in the spotlight would acknowledge that they don’t know instead of telling everyone here’s what we all need to do (and then flip flopping) this would not be so divisive.

And some celebrity who expresses their opinion on what we should do is meaningless. I don’t care what they think either way any more than y’all care what I think about it.

The minute it became political, it became a cluster#!%$. And the media made it political, and still pushes that narrative. The lies, and misinformation being forced onto the ill informed, is laughable at best. There is some very solid research going on. Some very important information is being gathered. But you'll be fed the same lies by mass media all day long.

Maybe the Islanders started a trend. The Chicago Bears have signed a Purchase and Sale agreement for Arlington International Racecourse. The price for the 326 acre property is $197 million. Their lease at Soldier Field doesn’t expire until 2033, but they can leave as soon as 2026 by paying a $84 million penalty, which decreases every year after that.

Soldier Field was renovated in 2002-03, renovations so extensive that it was delisted from the National Register of Historic Places. The racecourse property is about 35 miles northwest of Soldier Field

Back