• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
What to discuss something outside of the orbit of the Hurricanes, the NHL or hockey in general? Well, here you go.

I'm aware that this might get more action during the summer, but at least it gives us a place to converse about stuff that doesn't really fit in other threads. Plus, it keeps off topic stuff from getting in the way of longer running conversations. So, off topic your little hearts out.

college FB trivia:

Bowl teams that played 9 bowl eligible teams during 12-game regular season:
Auburn
Buffalo
BYU
Louisville
Miami
Mississippi State
Tennessee

Shows that many teams load up their schedule with 1 or 2 cupcakes

college FB trivia:

Bowl teams that played 9 bowl eligible teams during 12-game regular season:
Auburn
Buffalo
BYU
Louisville
Miami
Mississippi State
Tennessee

Shows that many teams load up their schedule with 1 or 2 cupcakes

it also shows the idiocy of gigantic conferences. They’re so big that teams don’t play each other every season. Or even every other season. For example, in the SEC, Florida plays Alabama once every 6 years. SEC teams play 8 conference games. They play every school in their division, have a permanent opponent in the other division and play the others on a rotating basis.

it also shows the idiocy of gigantic conferences. They’re so big that teams don’t play each other every season. Or even every other season. For example, in the SEC, Florida plays Alabama once every 6 years. SEC teams play 8 conference games. They play every school in their division, have a permanent opponent in the other division and play the others on a rotating basis.

True. The ACC sucks donkey dong w/ the Big Least teams, ND and Louisville. Totally non regional. I'd still rather see Dook and UVa yearly than BC and Sorrycuse. Ugh.

ND in a hurricane is a must, however!

College FB and BB are run by TV networks now. If ESPN told the ACC to add Tehran Tech and Baghdad State for higher ratings it would happen.

90% of the NCAA total budget is funded by NCAA hoops TV contract for the field of 68. TV plays the tune and the schools dance to it.

I'm just happy UCONN is re-joining the Big East and giving up trying to be a football school. I'm excited to be back playing the likes of Villanova, Georgetown, Providence, and St. John's again in the coming seasons.

I'm just happy UCONN is re-joining the Big East and giving up trying to be a football school. I'm excited to be back playing the likes of Villanova, Georgetown, Providence, and St. John's again in the coming seasons.
Yeah. That's a move that just makes sense for everyone involved. It seemed so freaking weird to not have them in the Big East for basketball, and football just is never going to move the needle up there. It's a hoops school, so it's better to play to your strengths.

I guess this is approproiate fodder for this thread...

My beer league team has made it to the championship game for the fall season and we get to play it next Tuesday night...at PNC Arena!

Polar, which runs all of the rinks in Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary and Garner, has an ongoing agreement with the Canes for having its youth and beer league championship games played at the arena and different leagues get this opportunity on a rotating basis. This is the first time my team has made it to the championship in a season where it's our league's turn to play at the arena...I can't wait!

My beer league team has made it to the championship game for the fall season and we get to play it next Tuesday night...at PNC Arena!

Polar, which runs all of the rinks in Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary and Garner, has an ongoing agreement with the Canes for having its youth and beer league championship games played at the arena and different leagues get this opportunity on a rotating basis. This is the first time my team has made it to the championship in a season where it's our league's turn to play at the arena...I can't wait!
Any advanced scouting on your team you care to share???

Care to have a few more back?

Even though they tried to sue the ACC over expansion, I think UConn would have joined the ACC if asked. Of course some people around here are upset about "Yankee" BC in the ACC. They only are upset after their team loses to BC. :)

NCSU plays UConn home and home in 2022 and 2023.

Even though they tried to sue the ACC over expansion, I think UConn would have joined the ACC if asked. Of course some people around here are upset about "Yankee" BC in the ACC. They only are upset after their team loses to BC. :)

NCSU plays UConn home and home in 2022 and 2023.

I don’t think there is any question that they would have joined if invited. But they didn’t bring a TV market in that the league didn’t have already. And BC didn’t want any part of them in the conference.

Bah ... BC has added exactly nothing to the ACC thus far. None of the numbers support the inclusion of Boston in the league's TV footprint and since BC have apparently decided to stop even trying to play competitive basketball, the league might actually have been better off with UConn. You'd have gotten the TV market in the same way, and at least they give a crap about what actually defines the league as something other than the SEC-lite that they are in football.

Awesome ... and absolutely appropriate. Consider this the off season thread ... during the season

Bah ... BC has added exactly nothing to the ACC thus far. None of the numbers support the inclusion of Boston in the league's TV footprint and since BC have apparently decided to stop even trying to play competitive basketball, the league might actually have been better off with UConn. You'd have gotten the TV market in the same way, and at least they give a crap about what actually defines the league as something other than the SEC-lite that they are in football.

Boston, like New York, is a pro sports town. Adding BC and Syracuse to try to grab those TV markets expanded the geographic footprint but probably had a minuscule, if any, effect on TV eyeballs.

Boston, like New York, is a pro sports town. Adding BC and Syracuse to try to grab those TV markets expanded the geographic footprint but probably had a minuscule, if any, effect on TV eyeballs.
Yeah ... I've read some of the ACC's marketing stuff. Syracuse actually does move the needle a bit in the New York market ... weirdly enough in basketball AND football. The league sells ads for the games and has had some different high level corporate sponsors specifically because of Syracuse (and to a lesser degree Notre Dame, which also has some presence in NYC) ... New York Life is a good example. That's why Swofford is so staunchly in favor of maintaining a(n) NYC presence for the ACC Tournament, even if it means playing in Brooklyn. People think he's obsessed with the city or a desire to get to MSG or any number of other factors ... nope. What he's obsessed with is that NYC corporate money. Also, for the record, this is one old time ACC fart who actually likes when the Tourney is in Brooklyn.

BC? Again ... they add none of that. The conference is barely a cypher in Boston or New England, because they're just a tiny little Jesuit college in a market with 21 other colleges. The reason BC is in the ACC is because they're the ones who took the reins on pulling the initial deal together. Period.

Back