• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Saw on Twitter PM of Canada and his wife got their shots today . I would think most US based NHL players have at least 1st shot now since they are so easy to get . Probably true for all major league players.
MLB players get some extra freedom if players and staff hit 85% vaccination rate. Vegas goalie Robin Lehner says the league went back on its promise to do the same if players are vaccinated. The league says no such promise was made.

@jeffbear Did I see you dining at Danny's in Cary tonight?
Nope ... must have been some other bald-ish guy. Besides, if I'm eating Que in the Triangle it's going to be at Sam Jones, at least until Redneck BBQ Lab opens at North Hills.

Oh, and my release date is May 1. That's when my vaccine should be fully cured and this is one scenario where I'll actually follow instructions. We'll probably head to Alamo Draft House that night for a movie and dinner.

Last edited:
The dude was wearing a Florida Gators jacket and I was thinking that it was no way that it would be you. The guy then took his facemask off for a sip of his tea and he looked just like you. Thankfully the Gators jacket kept me away from saying Hello.

Haven't hit the Sam Jones in Raleigh yet. Loooove their cue at the Skylight Inn in Ayden; it's the best in the state. Does the cue here have crunchy bits of pig skin in it?

Does the cue here have crunchy bits of pig skin in it?
Oh, you better believe it does. And I'd rate their sides slightly ahead of Skylight's ... mostly because Sam was a little more free to bend the traditional mold at a place with his own name on it. For example, they sell booze while no traditional joint ever sells booze. I still think Skylight has the best Q in the state, but I figure that's mostly down to decades of accumulated renderings on the pit walls. Otherwise I rank Sam's up there with Buxton Hall in Asheville ... and that place is a beast.

Oh, you better believe it does. And I'd rate their sides slightly ahead of Skylight's ... mostly because Sam was a little more free to bend the traditional mold at a place with his own name on it. For example, they sell booze while no traditional joint ever sells booze. I still think Skylight has the best Q in the state, but I figure that's mostly down to decades of accumulated renderings on the pit walls. Otherwise I rank Sam's up there with Buxton Hall in Asheville ... and that place is a beast.
Sam’s cornbread is a bit on the thick as a brick side.
Had lunch there once and enjoyed it. Must go again. And again. And again.

Cornbread, hush puppies and whatever else is served as a sop tends to be all over the place in this State, so it's not on my make or break list. I'm simple ... good Q, solid slaw, and decent bread for your sammich and I'll eat there for years.

Cornbread, hush puppies and whatever else is served as a sop tends to be all over the place in this State, so it's not on my make or break list. I'm simple ... good Q, solid slaw, and decent bread for your sammich and I'll eat there for years.
True.

Fatal accident at the Old Apex / Maynard intersection near my house. A couple on a motorcycle got hit straight on by a car that apparently drove off afterwards. That intersection is downright awful. I've seen many accidents there during my years at this house. The intersection of High House and Maynard isn't much better.

Fatal accident at the Old Apex / Maynard intersection near my house. A couple on a motorcycle got hit straight on by a car that apparently drove off afterwards. That intersection is downright awful. I've seen many accidents there during my years at this house. The intersection of High House and Maynard isn't much better.
The driver of the car didn’t take off. They were there and not seriously injured. Buddy of mine said the couple were riding a dirt bike on the road. He stopped to help

OK, good to know. I was going with what somebody who lives next to the intersection said. Obviously they were mistaken.

I wonder if that is the same person that I see always tearing up and down Maynard on his dirt bike. I think it's blue and white. That dude is always ripping down the street waaaay over the posted 35 MPH.

One of the Maynard approaches to that intersection is uphill and you can't see the intersection itself until you are almost in it so it's very important to drive 35 MPH in that area, but sadly, hardly anyone ever does.

Back