• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I almost jumped into my car to go there to fill up but then I remembered two things: I still have a half a tank of gas and since I work from home, I hardly ever drive. Hoarders and people like me are the problems, here. I still have plenty of gas in my car and hardly ever drive, so I don't need to be going to any dang gas station right now. No need to be a panic buyer.

I wait til my Low fuel warning light comes on so I got it on Sat even and got gas Sunday.. Now it'll be 3 weeks 'til I need a refuel.

Last edited:
I can't live life on the edge like that, but my wife lives on the warning light. I had to go to the gas station on Monday evening to fill her tank

I can't live life on the edge like that, but my wife lives on the warning light. I had to go to the gas station on Monday evening to fill her tank
I can make it back and forth to work Once on a low fuel light so I don't consider it an edge :)

I was going to reply to this with some triviality then I thought of the Progressive ad... "You woke up early. No one cares."

I was a little concerned, probably not as much as my wife. I filled up my car on Monday because I had to drive to Leesburg, VA for work. It took 1/2 tank to get here so I looked for gas on Wednesday. I found a station with a reasonable line and filled up, so I’m good to go. My wife has 1/4 tank but she doesn’t go anywhere, so we’ll be fine. I’ll check on Sunday or Monday but if we don’t get gas, we’ll be driving my car to the game on Monday. So NBD. As long as I can get to the arena and the beach for Memorial Day weekend, I’m fine.

Meh ... my wife has a nearly full tank in her Mini and I'm leaving town this weekend until Wednesday. I'm gonna ride out my empty tank until I get back from Florida

No need for concern. It’s a few days. People acting like it’s the end of times. Worse than when we get snow flurries. Most of the people freaking out over gas have nowhere to go anyway. Lol

No need for concern. It’s a few days. People acting like it’s the end of times. Worse than when we get snow flurries. Most of the people freaking out over gas have nowhere to go anyway. Lol
Apparently we learned nothing from the time in 2017 when the Colonial Pipeline was shut down due to leaks and the whole of the Southeastern US freaked out and ran the pumps dry in about two days. We're a dumb, dumb people about some things. Apparently gas and toilet paper are on the list.

they need to have more than 1 way to get most gas here. Having a single point of failure that brings the whole system down is not good. Stories say the morons at Colonial had zero software/hardware to keep out hackers. That's what happens when you basically have a monopoly

The weakest point of any network security system are the people that are connected to the network. Somebody in the company probably got an email and they didn't bother to check the from name/address, the link that they clicked on, or the attachment that they may have downloaded and opened. "Hello comrade company employee! Please to click on the MS Werd doxumenation to see fellow comrade company employee salarys. Please to check your amount and get back with any questuns. Warmest regards and may your god bless us all!"

This is a good reminder of why there are regulations. A critical infrastructure company like Colonial needs to have certain types of security regulations that it has to adhere to in order to continue to do business. Sure, it's not cheap and it's a pain in the ass for the employees, but as we can see, failure to take network security seriously can lead to catastrophic consequences.

At my previous job, every single employee had to go through network security training once a year just so we could accept credit card payments online. We also got randomly tested throughout the year. Someone from the IT Security team would send a fake phishing email to random employees at random times and if they clicked on the link, they had to go through security training again. Then there was the annual audit of our security systems by an external team. If we failed that, I think we were not able to accept online credit card payment until we fixed the issues.

I have 3 miles left in my Priusofshit and using wife's Suckaru today with a 1/4 tank full.
I'd like to beat the hoarding topping-offers with a Covid infested, rusted tire iron.

they need to have more than 1 way to get most gas here. Having a single point of failure that brings the whole system down is not good. Stories say the morons at Colonial had zero software/hardware to keep out hackers. That's what happens when you basically have a monopoly
And how are they supposed to do that? Getting a permit for and building additional pipelines goes ... about how well the Keystone XL project went. Most of this stuff is WAY easier said than done.

Back