• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Good to see Eriksen released. Apparently he got an implanted defribrillator to reduce the risk of future episodes. Those things are tiny now, but I remember a decade ago or so, you'd look like you had a Hot Wheels car stuck under your skin.

Watching State pound Stanford in baseball right now. My only question about this game is, why on earth is State wearing a black shirt on a 90° sunny day? Gotta be hot as hell in them.

These home unis are beautiful

image_handler-2_7.jpg

3 locals made the USA track team

Keni Harrison blew away the field in the 100m hurdles. Randolph Ross added the Olympics to his NCAA championship in the 400m. His NC A&T teammate, Trevor Stewart finished 4th but will also go to Tokyo as a member of the relay pool. The big story in the women’s 400m was Alyson Felix qualifying for her 5th Olympics. She’s also going to attempt to qualify in the 200m but the schedules in Tokyo won’t allow a double. If she qualifies, she’ll have to decide which event to enter.

Alyson Felix is only 35, FWIW ... she qualified for her first Olympics as a freaking 18 year old. 35 is old for track, but still ... she was a child when she first hit world class speed.

Went to Fayetteville with my daughter this weekend to help her work her first regional Comicon since the pandemic shut down public events in 2020. So ... freaking ... weird to be in a well attended, mass public event again. Fun, but weird.

That NCSU v Stanford game was so much fun to watch; I'm 20 minutes from Fenway Park but MLB has become unwatchable with its 3 hour + games every time; MLB is gonna kill itself by not making significant changes to the sport in order to keep the grandpas happy; by the time those people are gone it'll be too late.

Go Wolfpack tonight!

Yeah ... Vandy is tough, but at least the Pack got off on the right foot and landed in the winner's bracket for once. Elliott Avent's career has largely been marked by charges out of the losers bracket in tournament play. This is unfamiliar territory.

The Supreme Court kneecapped the NCAA, unanimously ruling in NCAA v. Alston that the NCAA, it’s member schools and conferences were in violation of Section I of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.

Alston is not about obligating schools to spend more on athletes in the context of academic-related expenses. Rather, the ruling provides schools with the discretion to do so. To that end, schools will soon more freely vie with one another for athletes, just like they compete—and sometimes outbid—for coaches, staff, faculty, fundraising, admissions, media attention and numerous other targets. If a college doesn’t wish to reimburse a higher dollar amount for academic-related expenses, it need not take any action. The school might become less attractive to recruits, especially if comparable schools choose to reimburse. But that’s how competition works.

the NCAA still thinks it's 1961. At least IOC quit pretending to be amateur in 1992.

this is the first year for the olympic 10k swim event. They swim in tokyo bay

Back