• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Duke will require all university employees be vaccinated by October 1. If they are not, they’ll be placed on leave for 7 days, during which time they can get vaccinated and show proof. If they don’t get vaccinated in those 7 days or get a 2nd dose within 6 weeks, they’ll be terminated and not eligible for rehire. Employees can ask for a medical or religious exemption but will need to submit to daily symptom monitoring, weekly testing, continued masking and other protocols. More than 91% of university employees and about 95% of students are vaccinated.

Although short lived for sure, top of the EPL table sure looks good right now 😍
Yeah ... I don't think Spurs will win every game all season, just like I don't think Arsenal will lose every game of the season ... but for right now, Spurs fans have to be in heaven. I mean, aside from your best player wanting out ... again.

Dundon’s dealings with the Alliance of American Football aren’t over yet. The court appointed bankruptcy trustee is seeking permission to sue Dundon personally. In addition to the bankruptcy filing, there is a separate lawsuit brought by players which seeks $674 million. Both league founder Charlie Ebersol and Dundon were deposed in the players’ lawsuit and the trustee is proposing a settlement that would remove Ebersol as a defendant but leave the case against Dundon intact. Dundon filed as a creditor in the bankruptcy proceedings, saying that he had been misled by Ebersol and determined that the league wasn’t viable.

The claim of $674 million is the accumulation of 3 years salary that the players say they were promised and then a 9 times multiplier was applied. Apparently, courts can award multiples of damages if misconduct is found.

Dundon’s dealings with the Alliance of American Football aren’t over yet. The court appointed bankruptcy trustee is seeking permission to sue Dundon personally. In addition to the bankruptcy filing, there is a separate lawsuit brought by players which seeks $674 million. Both league founder Charlie Ebersol and Dundon were deposed in the players’ lawsuit and the trustee is proposing a settlement that would remove Ebersol as a defendant but leave the case against Dundon intact. Dundon filed as a creditor in the bankruptcy proceedings, saying that he had been misled by Ebersol and determined that the league wasn’t viable.

The claim of $674 million is the accumulation of 3 years salary that the players say they were promised and then a 9 times multiplier was applied. Apparently, courts can award multiples of damages if misconduct is found.

The coverage I've seen of this generally makes a big deal out of Charlie Ebersol being dropped from the suit, but when you stop and think about it ... it makes perfect sense. When you file an aspirational damages suit, it doesn't do any good to go after the guy who doesn't have any freaking money. Dundon has the deep pockets in this scenario, so he's the obvious bad guy.

Is he actually a bad guy? God knows, but probably not as bad as he'll get painted in this suit. From a Canes fans perspective, you need to be fairly gullible to think the sky is falling on your owner quite yet.

In the not so distant future, is there not yet another piss poor attempt soon to start the USFL back up or another one of these non-NFL football leagues? I thought that I saw that recently...

In the not so distant future, is there not yet another piss poor attempt soon to start the USFL back up or another one of these non-NFL football leagues? I thought that I saw that recently...
I believe you are correct. Although I'm fairly certain it will end in tears .... again.

Regardless of what happens with that AAF lawsuit, Dundon really screwed up getting involved at all.
He set $70 million on fire and didn’t blink but pulled the plug rather than provide additional funding. And that started the “Dundon is broke” nonsense that led to the Aho offer sheet with the front loaded signing bonuses.

He set $70 million on fire and didn’t blink but pulled the plug rather than provide additional funding. And that started the “Dundon is broke” nonsense that led to the Aho offer sheet with the front loaded signing bonuses.
His story passes the logic test ... that he invested because he was convinced that competent management could save the season and the the long term payoff from their live betting system would pay back the initial losses. A deeper dive into the books than he got in the prospectus showed a much bigger tire fire with no hope of surviving the short term issues and boom ... cheaper to cut your losses and pull the plug than to more in more money for a payoff that might take a decade to realize.

The other side's logic test includes asking you to believe that one season player contracts were somehow three year commitments. So ... yeah.

The other side's logic test includes asking you to believe that one season player contracts were somehow three year commitments. So ... yeah.
Not only that, but they also allege that the “class members decided to forgo other professional opportunities in order to continue to play for the AAF.”

Umm, which other opportunities?

Not only that, but they also allege that the “class members decided to forgo other professional opportunities in order to continue to play for the AAF.”

Umm, which other opportunities?
Yeah, that too. I called it an aspirational lawsuit for a reason. Their claims might sound OK to an abject layman, but fail even the most basic logic test on multiple counts. You never know with administrative law judges though. There are some real doozies on the Federal bench.

The Big 12 is moving on past Texas and Oklahoma. BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston are reportedly applying for membership and expected to be approved. All but BYU are members of the American Athletic Conference, which requires a 27 month notification and payment of a $10 million exit fee. If they notify this month, that gets them out in December 2023 but the Big 12 is hopeful to have them negotiate an earlier release so they’d be members for the 2023 football season. That may hasten Texas’ and Oklahoma’s departures, they said they were willing to stay until the league‘s grant of rights expired in 2025.

local people paying up to 50-100k due dilligance fees to get a house :rolleyes:
My sister in Portland, OR has been trying to buy a house for the better part of a year. They were pre-qualified for a mortgage and kept losing bidding wars to people paying up to $100k over asking. Cash offers.

Back