• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Yeah, most people who grew up in central NC got to see Muddy if they were interested. His late career guitar man Bob Margolin lived in Durham for a good chunk of the 70s and 80s.
Yep, saw Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin in Durham a couple times on his own & sitting in with others. Missed Muddy though. Harvey Dalton Arnold of the Outlaws lives in the area and I've seen him play at Blue Note & small clubs around Durham.

Jim

Green Grass and High Tides!
Saw the Outlaws at the old Spectrum in Philly around 1980, with Molly Hatchett opening. The Outlaws gave off an “I don’t give a shit“ attitude and were terrible. Molly Hatchett was fantastic, though. A few years later, the Outlaws were playing at a lake in Riverdale, NJ.

I have enjoyed reading through this thread on everyone’s concert journey’s and live show experiences. I guess depending on where you grew up played a big part in some of the bands and concerts and shows you experienced a lot. Coming from Southwestern Ontario we always had a plethora of Canadian acts to enjoy and sometimes suffer through! My first ever concert was Triumph at the old London Gardens…home of the London Knights, the smell of weed should have melted the OHL ice underneath. Honeymoon Suite played a show one time in the tiny village of Thedford Ontario home of 800 people and they brought in strippers to stage a wet T-shirt contest that rocked that sleepy little town with the OPP being called. It was a musical lineup of shows for me live like Kim Mitchell, Prism, Jeff Healey Band, Neil Young, Loverboy and The Band. Great memories for sure!!!

Saw the Outlaws at the old Spectrum in Philly around 1980, with Molly Hatchett opening. The Outlaws gave off an “I don’t give a shit“ attitude and were terrible. Molly Hatchett was fantastic, though. A few years later, the Outlaws were playing at a lake in Riverdale, NJ.
I saw that bill, too, but I saw it at the Sportatorium in Hollywood, Florida while visiting family and friends on vacation down there. The Johnny Van Zant Band opened up. It was my first introduction to Southern culture!

Molly Hatchett were pros, man. They always kicked butt on stage. Same with Marshall Tucker and Blackfoot. Outlaws were alway hit and miss, as were 38 Special. Every Southeasterner of a certain age got a snootful of those bands whether you wanted to or not ... and Charlie Daniels too. I'm too young for original recipe Skynyrd though. That plane crashed when I was 13.

If that’s the place I’m thinking of, we used to pass it on the way from Hollywood to Pembroke Pines when I was a kid. And it looked like a dump in the mid-70s

I have enjoyed reading through this thread on everyone’s concert journey’s and live show experiences. I guess depending on where you grew up played a big part in some of the bands and concerts and shows you experienced a lot. Coming from Southwestern Ontario we always had a plethora of Canadian acts to enjoy and sometimes suffer through! My first ever concert was Triumph at the old London Gardens…home of the London Knights, the smell of weed should have melted the OHL ice underneath. Honeymoon Suite played a show one time in the tiny village of Thedford Ontario home of 800 people and they brought in strippers to stage a wet T-shirt contest that rocked that sleepy little town with the OPP being called. It was a musical lineup of shows for me live like Kim Mitchell, Prism, Jeff Healey Band, Neil Young, Loverboy and The Band. Great memories for sure!!!
No Anvil???

Molly Hatchett were pros, man. They always kicked butt on stage. Same with Marshall Tucker and Blackfoot. Outlaws were alway hit and miss, as were 38 Special. Every Southeasterner of a certain age got a snootful of those bands whether you wanted to or not ... and Charlie Daniels too. I'm too young for original recipe Skynyrd though. That plane crashed when I was 13.
Damn, right in my wheelhouse. Anybody for a little Nantucket?

Damn, right in my wheelhouse. Anybody for a little Nantucket?
My family were friends with all those guys. Grew up in Jacksonville and went to school with most of the band. I remember being a tiny little fella hanging out in garages when they would practice. My brother hung out on tour with them when they opened for Styx, KiSS and Boston.

Saw tons of acts at The Pier in Cameron Village Underground. Some I only have foggy recollection of. Partially due to time, traumatic brain injury, and maybe a little alcohol & substance abuse. Whatever doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. I should probably be able to bench press the house.

Saw Molly Hatchett and Blackfoot in Fayetteville (along with a couple thousand drunk Marines) on the way to Myrtle Beach where we saw Nantucket. Also saw them at the Wake Forest baseball field with Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, & the Outlaws. I saw all those bands multiple many times lost count and haven't dug into the ticket stub box in a while. Same for the Allman Brothers. Around Raleigh, PKM was always a party. Saw them at the old racetrack at the fairgrounds behind Dorton Arena with a couple other bands that evade me right now. I went to the Switch & Longbranch some, but by then I was living in Pittsboro and didn't get to the big city much.

I was in Denver for about 18 months in 79/80. I saw The Who, Bob Seger, Rush, Heart, Sammy Hagar, REO, Styx, Chicago, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, and Santana at McNichols Arena where the Colorado Rockies played hockey (later became the N.J. Devils). Red Rocks is hard to beat for a music venue and I saw quite a few shows there too. Even made it up to Telluride for Bluegrass. I got to some Rockies games, though they weren't all that good and there's a good reason why they moved. Saw Gretzky hang a natural hat trick on them like he wasn't even trying. Don Cherry was the Rockies coach then and my Dad knew him from when he coached at Hershey, so I got in on free tix. Even got to a few Nuggets games when David Thompson played there. All that doesn't have anything to do with anything local, but it was fun and I guess it fits in the Whatever Grab Bag. So, there you go.

Jim

Saw tons of acts at The Pier in Cameron Village Underground. Some I only have foggy recollection of. Partially due to time, traumatic brain injury, and maybe a little alcohol & substance abuse. Whatever doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. I should probably be able to bench press the house.

Saw Molly Hatchett and Blackfoot in Fayetteville (along with a couple thousand drunk Marines) on the way to Myrtle Beach where we saw Nantucket. Also saw them at the Wake Forest baseball field with Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, & the Outlaws. I saw all those bands multiple many times lost count and haven't dug into the ticket stub box in a while. Same for the Allman Brothers. Around Raleigh, PKM was always a party. Saw them at the old racetrack at the fairgrounds behind Dorton Arena with a couple other bands that evade me right now. I went to the Switch & Longbranch some, but by then I was living in Pittsboro and didn't get to the big city much.

I was in Denver for about 18 months in 79/80. I saw The Who, Bob Seger, Rush, Heart, Sammy Hagar, REO, Styx, Chicago, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, and Santana at McNichols Arena where the Colorado Rockies played hockey (later became the N.J. Devils). Red Rocks is hard to beat for a music venue and I saw quite a few shows there too. Even made it up to Telluride for Bluegrass. I got to some Rockies games, though they weren't all that good and there's a good reason why they moved. Saw Gretzky hang a natural hat trick on them like he wasn't even trying. Don Cherry was the Rockies coach then and my Dad knew him from when he coached at Hershey, so I got in on free tix. Even got to a few Nuggets games when David Thompson played there. All that doesn't have anything to do with anything local, but it was fun and I guess it fits in the Whatever Grab Bag. So, there you go.

Jim
Did the Marines get lost and end up in the wrong military town?

Sorry, soldiers for sure. There was several scraps in the audience. Maybe alcohol was involved? I was happy to get out of there unscathed. There was lots of ears showing and an amped up crowd. It was an interesting road trip I made exactly once.

Jim

Sorry, soldiers for sure. There was several scraps in the audience. Maybe alcohol was involved? I was happy to get out of there unscathed. There was lots of ears showing and an amped up crowd. It was an interesting road trip I made exactly once.

Jim
Well I’ve experienced both worlds. I was born at Camp Lejeune and went to many shows there all through high school and I live in Fayetteville now.

Anybody else to to one of the Noon to Moon Jam festivals down in Benson in the 80s? It was always the usual local/regional bands playing an all day festival in some farmer's field near a lake outside of Benson. I went to at least one of those things ... memory triggered by the mention of drunken soldiers, as there was a huge contingent from Bragg.

Anybody else to to one of the Noon to Moon Jam festivals down in Benson in the 80s? It was always the usual local/regional bands playing an all day festival in some farmer's field near a lake outside of Benson. I went to at least one of those things ... memory triggered by the mention of drunken soldiers, as there was a huge contingent from Bragg.
I can't really recall, but the mention of Molly Hatchet made me think back to seeing them in a farm field somewhere near Raleigh, maybe in 1979 because I was there w/ my h/s / college gf. I can remember that, it was sunny, and a Coleman cooler. That's it!

I only ever went to one show in Fayetteville. Alice Cooper right before Christmas 1986. Cinderella opened. Gag!!! Fucking hate hair bands. But Alice was great! Driving back, I somehow hit an owl flying from the side of the road. Hit the absolute last part of the van's windshield it could possibly hit and went cartwheeling off to the passenger side. Sucked. Was one of those everything in slow motion and not a damned thing you could do about it things.

Did any of you mugs catch Zeppelin with me in Greensboro in 1977? Was my first concert. Hate to say it, but my mom one upped me on cool factor of first show. She saw Elvis in 56.

Back