• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I can't really recall, but the mention of Molly Hatchet made me think back to seeing them in a farm field somewhere near Raleigh, maybe in 1979 because I was there w/ my h/s / college gf. I can remember that, it was sunny, and a Coleman cooler. That's it!
There were a couple of one day festival type things held on various farms around central NC. Noon to Moon in Benson is the only one I remember by name, but there was another one held down near Kinston somewhere. That was just a way to kill a Saturday in the summer I guess ... and it almost always involved at least one of the Southern Rock standard bearers (Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, etc), a B List blues legend type (Johnny Winter and Sonny Terry come to mind) and the local touring bands (Arrogance, Nantucket or PKM depending on the year, Fabulous Knobs or Woods depending on the year, Glass Moon, Let's Active, Spongetones, Fetchin' Boots, Treva Spontaine, dBs, etc). Those generally involved a Coleman cooler filled with beer ... and lunch if you were smart ... and a bad sunburn.

And no to Zep. My first proper rock show was ELO in Greensboro in 76. Zeppelin was sufficiently notorious that I'd have never gotten away with it. My parents were pretty slack and trusting, but only to a point.

Last edited:
I know it’s not Rock, but growing up in Jacksonville and working summers in Emerald Isle, I used to love the old Emerald Isle beach music festival

I know it’s not Rock, but growing up in Jacksonville and working summers in Emerald Isle, I used to love the old Emerald Isle beach music festival
I mean, it IS rock ... just a different kind. White boy Motown, basically. Nothing wrong with that at all. It was never my scene, but I did go to prep school, and my dad had a boat, and a place outside of Atlantic Beach ... so ... I was there for more than one Beach Music Festival

I mean, it IS rock ... just a different kind. White boy Motown, basically. Nothing wrong with that at all. It was never my scene, but I did go to prep school, and my dad had a boat, and a place outside of Atlantic Beach ... so ... I was there for more than one Beach Music Festival
We have a place at the old Emerald Isle boardwalk. Love it out there

Did any of you mugs catch Zeppelin with me in Greensboro in 1977? Was my first concert. Hate to say it, but my mom one upped me on cool factor of first show. She saw Elvis in 56.
I was not available for concerts in 1977. Got in a little too much trouble and was shipped off to a wilderness school in Buckingham Courthouse, Virginia for problem teens for 11 months and 4 days. I didn't raise more hell than anybody else, I just got caught. Turns out I was the only one of the students (delinquents) not sent by the courts. Probably one of the best things ever for me, though it sure didn't seem like it at first. I did the self reflection thing, adapted, improved myself (to a degree), added tons of skills to my quiver, and got back on track. I had a blast taking a month-long canoe trip down the length of the Suwannee River, a 3 week 150 mile hike on the A.T., and a 3 week bike trip to Virginia Beach and back on a one speed Schwinn. We built what we lived in, planned and cooked our own meals 3 days a week, cut our own firewood, and it was a privilege to go to school (for 2 hours a day), because you worked hard the rest of the time. Learned tons of survival skills, put in over 1,000 miles in a canoe, and how to be a better me. It made me realize there was more to life than some of the B.S. I was being taught in school. Probably T.M.I., but I did it and it made me a better person. So, there you go.

Jim

I was not available for concerts in 1977. Got in a little too much trouble and was shipped off to a wilderness school in Buckingham Courthouse, Virginia for problem teens for 11 months and 4 days. I didn't raise more hell than anybody else, I just got caught. Turns out I was the only one of the students (delinquents) not sent by the courts. Probably one of the best things ever for me, though it sure didn't seem like it at first. I did the self reflection thing, adapted, improved myself (to a degree), added tons of skills to my quiver, and got back on track. I had a blast taking a month-long canoe trip down the length of the Suwannee River, a 3 week 150 mile hike on the A.T., and a 3 week bike trip to Virginia Beach and back on a one speed Schwinn. We built what we lived in, planned and cooked our own meals 3 days a week, cut our own firewood, and it was a privilege to go to school (for 2 hours a day), because you worked hard the rest of the time. Learned tons of survival skills, put in over 1,000 miles in a canoe, and how to be a better me. It made me realize there was more to life than some of the B.S. I was being taught in school. Probably T.M.I., but I did it and it made me a better person. So, there you go.

Jim
I was in one of those Scout troops that took things pretty seriously and I've always said that I learned more about how to make a life for myself in Scouts than anywhere else. Hiking, cooking for yourself, cleaning up because no one else would, learning how to get around with just a map and compass, building shelters ... I feel like once you can appreciate the work that goes into the basics, it grounds you for other stuff.

Jim
I, fortunately, just never got caught.

I, fortunately, just never got caught.
Wish I could say that...Probably better it happened when it did.

Hiking, cooking for yourself, cleaning up because no one else would, learning how to get around with just a map and compass, building shelters ... I feel like once you can appreciate the work that goes into the basics, it grounds you for other stuff.
Mix in everybody having to pull the same way to survive and you've got it exactly. We all learned that if you didn't do your job 100%, everybody else could suffer.

Jim

Apparently Olivia Newton John died today. I found out from an old friend because we have a weird shared memory from when she was more of a singer than a movie star. My buddy and I talked his Dad into driving us to an ELO show in Greensboro way before we could drive or had enough cool older friends with cars to bribe with tickets. The price we paid was taking his little sister to see Olivia Newton John in Reynolds ... spring 1977, I think. It was a freaking pizza oven in there and were were 100% taking one for the team. There is no amount of good looking Aussie girl singer that can overcome having to listen to Have You Ever Been Mellow performed live un-ironically. The only upside was that Ray Stevens was the opening act and he was freaking hilarious.

I went to see Rod Stewart at Reynolds, I forget what year. Not for the music, the women wearing leopard print spandex had a strong draw on a young buck. Dang sure was a slew of them too. It was hot in all kinds of different ways. Afterwards I went up to Monday's/Barry's (whichever it was then) and found that many of the young ladies had the same idea. Turns out I didn't have to go to the show to get what I was after.

Jim

There is no amount of good looking Aussie girl singer that can overcome having to listen to Have You Ever Been Mellow performed live un-ironically.
I have a large amount of old vinyl albums covering several genres and one of them happens to be Olivia’s Greatest Hits!

So JB I have to ask you…have you ever been mellow…but more importantly have you ever tried???

I have a large amount of old vinyl albums covering several genres and one of them happens to be Olivia’s Greatest Hits!

So JB I have to ask you…have you ever been mellow…but more importantly have you ever tried???
I do mellow differently than most people.

Th Big 10 TV deal is complete. It will bring in at least $1 billion per year for 7 years. Significantly, ESPN isn’t involved, the package was split between Fox, CBS and NBC. Fox gets most of the games, they’re the partner on the Big 10 Network. CBS picks up inventory to replace their impending loss of SEC games. But NBC jumps into the fray to expand their landscape beyond Notre Dame and will have games in prime time. They’ll also broadcast over Peacock.

Ultimately, this could be good news for the ACC. Unless ESPN fills all their former Big 10 slots with SEC games, they’ll have a need for inventory. But, without a significant increase in fees, the league might not be able to hold on to Notre Dame, especially since NBC holds their rights and will have a piece of the Big 10. It could be a good test for how ironclad the ACC grant of rights agreement is and what kind of penalty the league will extract for any other team that considers jumping.

The ACC is just so not what it used to be I kinda hope they just blow it up sooner rather than later and we can all move on.

Th Big 10 TV deal is complete. It will bring in at least $1 billion per year for 7 years. Significantly, ESPN isn’t involved, the package was split between Fox, CBS and NBC. Fox gets most of the games, they’re the partner on the Big 10 Network. CBS picks up inventory to replace their impending loss of SEC games. But NBC jumps into the fray to expand their landscape beyond Notre Dame and will have games in prime time. They’ll also broadcast over Peacock.

Ultimately, this could be good news for the ACC. Unless ESPN fills all their former Big 10 slots with SEC games, they’ll have a need for inventory. But, without a significant increase in fees, the league might not be able to hold on to Notre Dame, especially since NBC holds their rights and will have a piece of the Big 10. It could be a good test for how ironclad the ACC grant of rights agreement is and what kind of penalty the league will extract for any other team that considers jumping.

Yeah, but why is ESPN going to pay the ACC anything other than what's in the contract? That's the part I don't get. They've got the ACC Network lock stock and barrel through 2036 with only scheduled increases in payouts. I guess they could look and see that they are actively choking the life out of the league and make changes, but that would require ESPN giving a crap about anything other than the SEC and BIG ... which has yet to be in evidence. Even with the BIG gone, ESPN still cares more about the health of that conference (as competition for their golden SEC child) than they do the ACC ... who basically exist to provide filler content

Honestly ... just push the issue and get it over with. The ACC can't survive long term like this so they should figure out what the next steps look like and rip off the bandaid. Sue ESPN to break the deal, add random schools until everything spontaneously shatters into a multiverse, take Wake out back and shoot them in the head, make Duke stop pretending to play football, move the offices to the Caribbean and claim that your revenues are un-taxable ... whatever. Just do SOMETHING other than sit there and watch your programs slowly choke to death.

Meh. I kinda think college sports is done. I can’t motivate myself to have anything more than passing interest and most of that is like watching a train wreck. Don’t care about my teams, conferences etc. i don’t think I’m alone either.

I get that the SEC and BIG 10 powerhouse fans are excited but how exciting will it be when nobody cares that your great team beat their team - or even knows it happened.

what made college sports great hot ruined by celebrity worship and money. Insane amounts of money that people were willing to spend. I don’t see that continuing. They’re not the top level. They’re basically an age limited semi pro league. Very few minor league teams generate major revenue.

Back