• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020-21 Season and Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I deleted the post this message was referring to.

For whatever reason I also thought we needed to be legal post-draft...
giphy.gif

Pretty sure I wrote some of the rules down, but I think others may have contributed. So I still have no idea who wrote that or why.

Seems like it's not worth the bother of having a vote, but we really should change the rule.

Unless someone can provide a good reason why you wouldn't want to have compliant rosters from post-draft all the way to opening day.

Pretty sure I wrote some of the rules down, but I think others may have contributed. So I still have no idea who wrote that or why.

Seems like it's not worth the bother of having a vote, but we really should change the rule.

Unless someone can provide a good reason why you wouldn't want to have compliant rosters from post-draft all the way to opening day.
NHL teams do not need to be cap compliant during the off season... why should we?

This league doesn't have a salary cap. NHL teams can't click a button and add players, either. Why should a couple of teams have an advantage over every other team in the league for months?

It's always been the rule that when you add a player in the draft, you're supposed to drop a player at the same time to stay roster compliant. Are you suggesting that a team can just leave 10 players on the IR (even though we say there's no IR in the off-season), and also add 10 draft picks, then just sit there with 20 more players than any other team until OPENING DAY?

This league doesn't have a salary cap. NHL teams can't click a button and add players, either. Why should a couple of teams have an advantage over every other team in the league for months?

It's always been the rule that when you add a player in the draft, you're supposed to drop a player at the same time to stay roster compliant. Are you suggesting that a team can just leave 10 players on the IR (even though we say there's no IR in the off-season), and also add 10 draft picks, then just sit there with 20 more players than any other team until OPENING DAY?
I think in the beginning we were supposed to add those dropped players to our unprotected lists? But we got away from that.

We also cant sign players to ahl deals to stay under the contract number.

I dont think we have anyone hiding a significant number of players and taking the 51st best player off a team in the middle of the offseason doesnt appear to be too critical.

It's just not important enough to try to enforce people updating their unprotected lists during the draft. If 7 teams are doing it and 12 aren't, what's the point? Until AFTER THE DRAFT, that is.

Our version of the AHL is the minors.

I feel like in the very beginning, Leafman may have found a League Rules charter somewhere, and we used it as the basis of ours, but this line didn't get noticed or removed.

I'm still struggling to see one reason why we should keep it ...

It's just not important enough to try to enforce people updating their unprotected lists during the draft. If 7 teams are doing it and 12 aren't, what's the point? Until AFTER THE DRAFT, that is.

Our version of the AHL is the minors.

I feel like in the very beginning, Leafman may have found a League Rules charter somewhere, and we used it as the basis of ours, but this line didn't get noticed or removed.

I'm still struggling to see one reason why we should keep it ...
Because we are not full time GMs and coordinating moving pieces takes some time.

Im fine with setting a deadline like 1 month after the draft to be complaint.

Whatever rule is agreed upon - I think the deadline just needs to be announced (this season and going forward) and everyone will comply.

It's been a weird year - with a lot of "hurry up and wait" for hockey fans.

I was wondering why I was confused about this specific rule, so I went back and read FI Dynasty Hockey League Discussion 2019-2020.

Here was Axl's reply to one of my questions :

That's basically correct. I think when we started, we were a little stricter on having to drop a guy when making a pick or trade if your roster was full, but the guys you draft or trade for are "protected" and when the draft is over, we put all remaining FA players on waivers. At that point, each team has to make sure they are at 50 max players (not counting people on the IR, which is "turned off" prior to the draft but can be used as normal basically once the draft begins.)

This is how I played it last year, and how I have been playing it this year.

Would've thought we should have been roster complaint before/when waiver claims opened .

By Fergy's reply, he thought the same.

Post Draft

After the draft the undrafted players go on waivers for 48 hrs. Waiver order to start the season is the draft order then goes by standard priority, i.e after making a successful claim you move to the bottom of the list. You must make your roster legal by opening night.

Now the rules are clearly saying otherwise.

I went back and read the rules A LOT last year when I joined the league and I never noticed the part about
roster legal by opening night.
It's odd because I usually notice those kind of disparities between two statements, but I guess I missed this one.

Last edited:
I was wondering why I was confused about this specific rule, so I went back and read FI Dynasty Hockey League Discussion 2019-2020.

Here was Axl's reply to one of my questions :

This is how I played it last year, and how I have been playing it this year.

By Fergy's reply, he thought the same.

Post Draft

After the draft the undrafted players go on waivers for 48 hrs. Waiver order to start the season is the draft order then goes by standard priority, i.e after making a successful claim you move to the bottom of the list. You must make your roster legal by opening night.

Now the rules are clearly saying otherwise.

I went back and read the rules A LOT last year when I joined the league and I never noticed the part about
roster legal by opening night.
It's odd because I usually notice those kind of disparities between two statements, but I guess I missed this one.

Yeah, I mean, if you are over and want to take some time to decide who you want to drop/who failed you on fulfilling their potential, that doesn't seem like something to police.

However, in order to make waiver claims, you should have to be roster compliant. It sucks because I think I have 3 guys that will probably be IR'd once the season is underway (Patrick, Nyquist and Tarasenko), but they aren't IR'd in the offseason. Not a complaint, just something you have to work around.

But at one point, there was a team that I think had 15 prospects over the limit. They should have to sort their shit before they can make a waiver claim lol.

The most important thing for me right now is that every teams be on an even playing field.

To achieve that I see 2 options :

Option #1 : The 3 teams who have illegal rosters drop a player.

- Frosty Hyman
- Tully
- Zero to Shero

(Each have 1 Reserve Player over the limit)

Option #2 : The 15 teams who have Legal Rosters are allowed to claim extra player(s) and also have an Illegal Roster until X date.

If the 3 teams are not under the obligation to have a Legal Roster in the present moment; then my team is definitively filling that 6th Reserve Spot.

It serves a purpose in-so-much as post-draft waivers would include all available players. As it is we are allowing guys to carry extra players in the hopes that they can trade them - or perhaps make a decision based on whether a player is signed, or playing well in Europe.

I always favour rules that require tough decisions.

Didn’t know where to post this so I’m using this thread.

With the season announced, are we going to do anything about the other league? Tick tock

Doesnt the other league have an entire board dedicated to it within this forum? Why is it all of a sudden taking up space here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back