• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 Free Agency Frenzy

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
On Vegas ... Prietrangelo is probably worth all the machinations, at least for 2-3 more years. But their Cup window got tighter in terms of timeframe even as it got a bit more wide open in the short term. Then again, they've been close and probably figure it's better to go all in for the next couple of years than to keep chipping away at the edges hoping they get hot at the right time. We'll see how it plays out, but that team's going to be a load to play against for the next couple of years.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Hurricanes legend Patrick Marleau signs a 1 year/$700k contract with the Sharks. He’s 45 games away from breaking Gordie Howe’s record for games played.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Say what you want about Marleau ... dude is over 40 and still capable of holding down a regular shift and producing 30-ish points in the best league in the World. He's no Gordie Howe, but the guy is remarkable none the less. Hurricanes legend forever

CanadaCanes

Hurricanes legend Patrick Marleau signs a 1 year/$700k contract with the Sharks. He’s 45 games away from breaking Gordie Howe’s record for games played.
So it ended up being Patrick Marleau and Seth Jarvis to the Canes for $6.25 m in cap space to the Leafs. I think the Canes might have won that one!

HeyKurtz

Our old friend PDG re-signs with the Rangers...it's a one-year, two-way deal paying $700K at the NHL level.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Goalie Aaron Dell leaves the Sharks and signs with the Leafs, 1 year/$800k. I guess he’ll compete with Jack Campbell to be the backup? Or he’ll be a very expensive Marlies goalie. Campbell signed a 2 year extension with the Kings last September with a $1.65 million AAV. If he goes to the Marlies, the Leafs would have to eat about $600k of that on their cap.

cmaleski2

Barring a trade (maybe) or losing him to waivers (very doubtful), Alex Nedeljkovic is going to be a very expensive Wolves goalie this coming season ($750k no matter where he plays). I'm not sure what the Canes plans are regarding #3 goalie, but at the moment its Nedeljkovic with only Helvig as a safety net.

The Canes at some point need to find another #3/4 goalie. I doubt they want to pay a guy like Dell a one way salary to fill that hole, but at least Dell has 100 games of NHL experience. Look for the Canes to grab someone with a handful of games of NHL experience who is willing to sign a 2 way (note that pool is very very shallow in terms of anyone that is any good).

Last edited:

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Barring a trade (maybe) or losing him to waivers (very doubtful), Alex Nedeljkovic is going to be a very expensive Wolves goalie this coming season ($750k no matter where he plays). I'm not sure what the Canes plans are regarding #3 goalie, but at the moment its Nedeljkovic with only Helvig as a safety net.

The Canes at some point need to find another #3/4 goalie. I doubt they want to pay a guy like Dell a one way salary to fill that hole, but at least Dell has 100 games of NHL experience. Look for the Canes to grab someone with a handful of games of NHL experience who is willing to sign a 2 way (note that pool is very very shallow in terms of anyone that is any good).

Garret Sparks played 26 games for the Wolves last season. He’s unsigned after playing on a 1 year/1 way contract for $750k. He’s local too, having grown up on the other side of O’Hare from Rosemont. He played 17 for the Leafs in 15-16, 20 in 18-19 and 1 for Vegas last season. His numbers for the Marlies were good, OK for the Wolves. His NHL numbers are...not good.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Garret Sparks played 26 games for the Wolves last season. He’s unsigned after playing on a 1 year/1 way contract for $750k. He’s local too, having grown up on the other side of O’Hare from Rosemont. He played 17 for the Leafs in 15-16, 20 in 18-19 and 1 for Vegas last season. His numbers for the Marlies were good, OK for the Wolves. His NHL numbers are...not good.
Sparks might be an option for Chicago, but I doubt Carolina gives him a sniff. He REALLY stunk in Toronto. Sparks looks like a classic AHL goaltender who just isn't fast twitch enough for the NHL.

After how last season went, you'd think the Canes want a 4th guy who can play in a pinch. That spell with both Mrazek and Reimer out just about derailed the whole season, as Forsberg and Ned BOTH sucked. Going into next season with Ned and basically nobody seems like a bad idea.

cmaleski2

You better have a #3 goalie that you can rely on in an pinch this coming season. Even if they do cut the schedule down to 60 games (definitely not a sure bet), its going to be 60 games in a compressed schedule with back to backs all over the place. Goalies are going to be taxed like never before.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
You mean besides Bergevin sniffing a lot of hockey tape?

I can think of two things:

1) He's trying to send a message to the team and fans that we are in a win mode now (even though they are lacking elite talent upfront)
2) You need to expose a goalie under contract for the Seattle expansion draft and the Habs don't really have anyone expendable so maybe this was also to solve that issue. If they select him then great, if not then you have a quality backup to spell Price more or replace him should he go down to injury which has happened in the past.

cmaleski2

I agree that does allow Montreal to cover the Goaltender exposure requirement.

Primeau is exempt from the waiver draft as he will only have completed his 2nd pro season. They theoretically could have used Michael McNiven to cover the expansion draft goalie exposure requirement. You just need to expose a goalie who is either under contract OR is an RFA at the end of his contract, which McNiven would be. But that would have required Montreal to qualify McNiven (per expansion draft rules). I'm pretty sure Montreal has no interest in giving McNiven a qualifying offer after this coming season if they can avoid it (which they now can). He's not much of a prospect.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah, that's a fair amount of money to spend on a contingency that ain't gonna happen until next year, but hey ... not my money. That's a real cautious play on Montreal's part, but you could make a reasonable case that it's the wise kind of caution.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
I'm not crazy about the move but he's obviously the guy they wanted so we have to wait and see if they were correct considering you could probably grab Holtby for 2 x 2m right now.