• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 Free Agency Frenzy

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm not crazy about the move but he's obviously the guy they wanted so we have to wait and see if they were correct considering you could probably grab Holtby for 2 x 2m right now.
Allen is probably (almost certainly) better than Holtby at this stage, despite losing his crease to Binnington. He was actually quite good in a heavy support role last year and if you think his legs aren't shot then he's as safe a bet for a heavy duty backup as there was in the market. Griess is probably the closest comparable, and he's older AND more expensive. Montreal tried to do the cheap-ish backup thing the last couple of years and it didn't work. This IS trying something different.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Montreal's backups the past few years cost them the playoffs. Simply winning 3-4 more games put them in. Last season goalies not named Price won a total of 3 games. 3.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Montreal's backups the past few years cost them the playoffs. Simply winning 3-4 more games put them in. Last season goalies not named Price won a total of 3 games. 3.
Right. And no telling how much more consistent Price might have been with some rest. It's more and more a 2 goalie league. That's been the trend for a while and I don't see that changing soon. IMO Price is probably 10% better if he's playing more like 55-ish games over an 82 game season instead of mid-60s.

cmaleski2

That is just a fringe benefit of the Jake Allen signing. He was really good last season. With Price having an injury history and getting older AND Montreal starting to build a team that I'm sure they expect will be fighting for a playoff spot, its a pretty good idea to lock up a backup that figure you can trust. And if they lose him to the expansion draft? No big deal.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Plus when you consider what Dubnyk, Holt by and Greiss signed for he'll be easily moved via trade off they need to do so.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Habs sign Brendan Gallagher to a 6 year/$39 million extension that starts in 2021-22. He’s I. The last year of a 6 year/$22.5 million contract.

The Bruins sign old friends Callum Booth and Greg McKegg to 1 year contracts at $700k. No word on CapFriendly yet on a different AHL salary, although McKegg was on a 1 way deal last season.

CanadaCanes

You better have a #3 goalie that you can rely on in an pinch this coming season. Even if they do cut the schedule down to 60 games (definitely not a sure bet), its going to be 60 games in a compressed schedule with back to backs all over the place. Goalies are going to be taxed like never before.
That’s a great point and I think the reasoning behind why guys like Dell come in handy for teams next year. Since the Wolves have a very active owner that likes to put a competitive team together, you would expect them to help bring in another guy with experience behind Ned...maybe a Mike Condon, Michael Hutchinson, Andrew Hammond...

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
That’s a great point and I think the reasoning behind why guys like Dell come in handy for teams next year. Since the Wolves have a very active owner that likes to put a competitive team together, you would expect them to help bring in another guy with experience behind Ned...maybe a Mike Condon, Michael Hutchinson, Andrew Hammond...

But if he brings them in, the Canes only have access to him if he’s on a NHL contract. Which means he can help scout and pay, but it’s Dundon’s dime.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Meh ... Carolina spent a fair amount of money on Forberg last season for what amounted to nothing. They can just budget that money for Condon or some other AHL vet who is capable of being a 3/4 option. This is not that difficult, and will probably get ironed out eventually.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Sens sign Evgenii Dadonov to a 3 year/$15 million contract. All salary, the annual breakdown is $3.5/$5.0/$6.5

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
That was probably the biggest total dollars and term Dadonov was offered.
Probably ... dude is an old 31. He's been a really consistent scorer since he came back from Russia though. By Ottawa's standards that's a darned good get.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Joe Thornton signs with the Leafs...one year, $700K deal.
I'm with Leafs fans on this one ... pretty much a perfect fit for very little cost. I know he's old and slow, but Thornton was darned effective last season (just under a half a point a game on a terrible team) and if they manage his icetime, he should be able to do that again. They need quality depth up the middle without tying up cash long term ... this is that.