• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 Free Agency Frenzy

CanadaCanes

Jumbo Joe has spent something like 22 years in the league and has career averages of 74 games played a year and 69 points a season...those numbers are unbelievable when you consider the length of his tenure.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Jumbo Joe has spent something like 22 years in the league and has career averages of 74 games played a year and 69 points a season...those numbers are unbelievable when you consider the length of his tenure.

Thornton can move into 6th in games played, he needs 17 to move past Mark Recchi. He needs 71 points to move into 11th all time, 92 to move into 10th. He needs 47 assists to move past Paul Coffey into 6th, 67 to pass Jagr for 5th.

SlapShots

Thornton also gives the Leafs the veteran presence they've been lacking. So much skill and high end talent, but little ability to close or find that last gear. Thornton has that in spades. Combined with Spezza, that team ought to learn something.

CanadaCanes

Thornton also gives the Leafs the veteran presence they've been lacking. So much skill and high end talent, but little ability to close or find that last gear. Thornton has that in spades. Combined with Spezza, that team ought to learn something.
Yep, Thornton, Simmonds and Bogosian all added in the last couple of weeks to adjust that culture with the millennial cool kids who cannot seem to understand that element. Spezza and Muzzin were already there, so add the three new additions with those two and the Leafs actually have some guys that know what it takes.

cmaleski2

I hate that Thornton signing, only because it brings depth and veteran presence that makes the Leafs much better. Fortunately if you are rooting against the Leafs, their D is still questionable, their #1 goalie seems to have a penchant for choking at the worst time in the playoffs, and they have no cap room to really address either of those areas without moving some really high end/expensive talent.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Yep, Thornton, Simmonds and Bogosian all added in the last couple of weeks to adjust that culture with the millennial cool kids who cannot seem to understand that element. Spezza and Muzzin were already there, so add the three new additions with those two and the Leafs actually have some guys that know what it takes.

And it seems like Thornton is already first among equals. Spezza offered to give up #19 but Thornton went with #97, the year he went 1st overall in the draft. Much like Jeff O’Neill wearing #92 for the year he went 1st overall in the draft. The OHL draft.

CanadaCanes

I hate that Thornton signing, only because it brings depth and veteran presence that makes the Leafs much better. Fortunately if you are rooting against the Leafs, their D is still questionable, their #1 goalie seems to have a penchant for choking at the worst time in the playoffs, and they have no cap room to really address either of those areas without moving some really high end/expensive talent.
It was interesting to read Thornton's comments on why he signed with the Leafs, he touched on Freddy Andersen being a great goalie and he was adamant with the fact that they have a team good enough to win a Cup right now. When I still lived in London, Ontario in my early twenties, Thornton was from just up the road in St. Thomas Ontario and was playing Jr B hockey at the age of 14-15 and then went on to a great OHL career. His parents still live in St. Thomas and can now do the hour and forty five minute drive to Toronto for home games as well as the easy travel to Detroit and Buffalo as well...if they ever open the rinks back up to fans!

That last point you touch on is key, they are going to have to play that small roster size game and shuttle some guys back and forth from the AHL just to fit under the cap and that gets really scary once you take a major injury or two to your core.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Brodie and Begosian are big ads on the blueline, which isn't half as shaky as everybody's acting like it is. If Anderson is decent in net, and he's been that for the vast majority of his career, then they should be absolutely fine.

You want a shaky D? Look at what Boston's currently got under contract.

NoMich

Huh. He seemed to be decent lower line grinder with Boston. I'm surprised that they let him walk for such little money. Or am I just imagining things?

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Huh. He seemed to be decent lower line grinder with Boston. I'm surprised that they let him walk for such little money. Or am I just imagining things?
19 points over two seasons, so about what you'd expect. Works hard, but has no hands whatsoever ... even by 4th line grinder standards. Deciding not to spend more money on that guy is absolutely fine.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Seemed to me that Joakin played way above his pay grade when we faced him, particularly in the playoffs. Happy to see him out of our conference.
I mean, he's annoying to play against for sure. But he doesn't move the bottom line all that much other than on the kill.

cmaleski2

If Vatanen is expecting anything more than a 1 year deal for $2-3 million, he is going to be waiting a very long time. He is not going to get term and he is not going to be making anywhere near what he was on his last contract.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Meh ... he'll get an offer he can live with eventually. He's not the player his last contract suggested, but competent defensemen who can play both sides without much of an issue are definitely always going to be in demand. Just not enough demand to justify paying him almost $5 million AAV. I think $3 million is about right, and yeah ... probably 1-2 years. MAYBE 3 if he's willing to go somewhere that isn't looking to contend right away.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
we don't know if Canes offered him a deal , they probably did . Training camps might start up in late Nov. so he should sign by then.
I really doubt Carolina offered him a firm number yet. They need to set their budget by dealing with Fleury and Foegele's new RFA deals first. Since he plays the right side, I could see Vatanen getting an offer after that stuff gets done though ... depending on where they are with finding an upgrade at goaltender. No way you plug $2 million or more into the works to sign Vatanen with so many other things left to do.

CanadaCanes

I still see Foegele coming in at about $1.5 million or so and Fleury in or around $2 million per. It's going to be tough to ship out Dzingel or Nino in this tight market but it certainly would free up some cap space...same goes for Gardiner. In the event that the Canes could find a taker for Gardiner, I could see the Canes revisiting Vatanen on an offer in that $2.5-$3 million range, but only if Gardiner departs via trade. Vatanen and Fleury as the right-left pairing in your third pair seems like a better option than Gardiner-Fleury with one of them playing on their off side, plus I just see Gardiner as too much of an expense and waste on a third pairing on this team, and you have to think it's Dougie/Slavin and Pesce/Skjei as the first two pairings as a slam dunk.

Last edited:

SlapShots

19 points over two seasons, so about what you'd expect. Works hard, but has no hands whatsoever ... even by 4th line grinder standards. Deciding not to spend more money on that guy is absolutely fine.
He had hands enough to score on us in the playoffs...