• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 NHL Entry Draft

GEEMAN

Corey Pronman's 7 round mock.

We end up with:

MONTREAL CANADIENS

16: Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert-WHL
47: Ty Smilanic, C, USNTDP-USHL
48: Will Cuylle, LW, Windsor-OHL
57: Roby Jarventie, LW, Koovee-Mestis
78: Brett Berard, LW, USNTDP-USHL
98: Anton Johannesson, D, HV71-J20 SuperElit
102: Blake Biondi, C, Hermantown-US High School
109: Bogdan Trineyev, RW, Dynamo Moscow-MHL
136: Adam Raska, RW, Rimouski-QMJHL
171: Dylan Abbott, D, Fairbanks-NAHL
188: Kirill Steklov, D, London-OHL

That would get a big fat meh from me.
I like Will Cuylle , big time player prior to his draft year and second overall in the O

Big body who can skate who has yet TO put it together in junior , tools are there though

Hasn't provided your prototypical junior stats for projection but is worth a shot in round 2

GGpX

If it was in the third round, maybe... But not at that spot with the second of our three 2nds.

DonKay

Canadiens Moderator
Staff member
I doubt we keep all 3

at this point I want to see quality over quantity so if MB can move two seconds to find a way to get a higher pick why not.

I like what Arizona did last year to move up in round one by giving up a 2nd rounder.....I believe they gave up #14 and #45 to move up three spots, is it worth itof you really like a player above others? i think so.

GGpX

Quality?

The best way to get quality is to have a quantity of second round picks.

I'm not interested in trading our second round picks again.

GEEMAN

Quality?

The best way to get quality is to have a quantity of second round picks.

I'm not interested in trading our second round picks again.

I would if a player slips to lets say 12 who is a notch above the rest and we have a legit chance to get him

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Quantity in the first three rounds helps. Out of multiple picks, having a player or two making it is higher odds.

GGpX

Here's the thing.

The difference between the 25th pick and the 45th pick is not very big. When you're in that range, the likelihood of picking an impact player (defined as top-6 fwd, top-4 d-man) is relatively low. If the odds are low, then the best bet you would have is to accumulate more picks so that you could have more opportunities to try and get good players.

I have no issue with trading/acquiring a fourth or fifth to move/down up in the second, but I'm not trading them to get back in the first or even move up to a few slots.

GEEMAN

Here's the thing.

The difference between the 25th pick and the 45th pick is not very big. When you're in that range, the likelihood of picking an impact player (defined as top-6 fwd, top-4 d-man) is relatively low. If the odds are low, then the best bet you would have is to accumulate more picks so that you could have more opportunities to try and get good players.

I have no issue with trading/acquiring a fourth or fifth to move/down up in the second, but I'm not trading them to get back in the first or even move up to a few slots.

So if Sanderson or Perfetti slip to 12 and all we have to do is move our third second rounder to drop 4 spots you wouldn't do it ?

Neither will be there but just a proposition

GGpX

I don't like coming up with theoretical examples like this because you could always bring up a situation where Player X could drop. Like last year when Caufield dropped, nobody in their right minds thought he'd still be there at 15.

If those two are still available, then sure, but the likelihood of both still being available is so unlikely that I don't even think of it as a real possibility.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Yeah, I think it's a case by case issue as well. Should someone they have on their top 10 list still be there and they need to move up I can see trading one of the seconds. Still, I prefer quantity of picks in the first 2-3 rounds.

GEEMAN

Downloaded the Hockey news Draft Preview , many intriguing players in the top 60

Their best case projections are very strange

Laf projects to Huberdeau while Walwinder on D and ranked much lower ...best case is Hedman

GGpX

Get Future Considerations or Hockey Prospects instead if you want good reading material. Hockey News delivers little of substance.

GGpX

Mark Edwards talking about next week's draft:

"Stutzle is closer to Lafreniere at #1 than Byfield is to Stutzle at #2" is a notable quote of his.