• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Of all you named, I think Press is the only one with a realistic chance of sticking around. Yes, she’s over 30 and 100+ caps, but she‘s really not been a full-time starter/90 minute player for much of her career.

Nice Olimpico (again) from Rapinoe.
Un-credited assist to Lloyd for taking the keeper to the near post for a ball she was never gonna get. Good dummy from a savvy vet.

Agree on Press ... plus, she's basically ageless to this point. I'm sure she'll slow down eventually, but she certainly hasn't shown any signs of it yet ... unlike everybody else on that list. She'll probably stick around for one more cycle and join Dunn and Ertz (depending on family plans) as the senior leadership core.

But otherwise it's time to turn things over to the likes of Midge Purce, Sophie Smith, Catarina Macario and Andi Sullivan. The US has such a deep pool, but have been ridiculously reluctant to use it. Presuming they host a She Believes in 2022, I'd love to see the kiddie corps version of the roster for that tournament. Let 'em take their lumps and get moving on the transition by ripping off the band aid

Jane Campbell too, she’s the keeper of the future, not Franch.

Dunn, Ertz, Dahlkamper, Sam Mewis, Casey Krueger are all married and have a shortened window if they want to start a family before the next World Cup.

Lionel Messi is a free agent. His contract expired on June 30, but he and Barca had an extension worked out. However, the contract couldn’t be registered with LaLiga because it violated the league’s financial fair play rules.

Lionel Messi is a free agent. His contract expired on June 30, but he and Barca had an extension worked out. However, the contract couldn’t be registered with LaLiga because it violated the league’s financial fair play rules.

wonder who will cough up the $$$ to get him

Jane Campbell too, she’s the keeper of the future, not Franch.

Dunn, Ertz, Dahlkamper, Sam Mewis, Casey Krueger are all married and have a shortened window if they want to start a family before the next World Cup.
Campbell and Casey Murphy are both already in the mid-20s and neither has had even a sniff of the senior team goal, even though both of them dominated in age groups and are both arguably better than Franch or Naeher in their league right now.

The way the US has failed to utilize their depth over the years at a variety of positions is almost laughable. But of course, US Soccer is too busy waging labor war with the women's team to bother getting them any games where a manager might expand his or her roster a little. No ... instead they do just enough to prep for World Cup and Olympics and feed their own dragon.

Canada wins women’s gold 3-2 on penalties, after what was quite possibly the worst penalty shootout I’ve ever seen. Each team missed 3 straight, with attempts off the post, the crossbar, an airmailed attempt and a couple that were shaved way to easily. Unfortunately for Sweden, their 3 misses were their last 3 attempts, they had the gold in their feet on their 5th attempt but Caroline Seger airmailed it. Canada scored on their 5th attempt to tie it 2-2 and they won on the 6th attempt in sudden death, Labbe made the save for Canada and Grosso won it off Lindahl’s hands.

Historic victory for a Canadian women's program that has always found a way to lose in the past. Not this time, baby. Sadly for Sweden, they were the class of the tournament but come away with Silver because they couldn't find the net on a couple of glorious headed chances in extra time. Forget PKs ... if Hurtig gets one of those two clean headers on frame, the Swedes are listening to their anthem and crying tears of joy right now. Wonderful career capper for Christine Sinclair and Desiree Scott though. For as much as those two have done for Canada, it would have been tough to see them retire from international play with nothing to show for it.

The men's tournament is down to the Gold medal game between Spain and Brazil tomorrow. Mexico wrapped up the bronze with a 3-1 win over host Japan early this morning. Good tournament for a very lively Mexican side. I like their younger generation a lot. Still scrappy, but a lot less "out to injure guys" than their veteran counterparts.

Brazil nipped Spain 2-1 for the Men's Gold with an extra time goal from Zenit speedster Malcom. An entertaining, if low scoring breakfast tilt. I enjoy the U23 thing they do in the Olympics, if I'm honest. I know it's a pain in the butt for the federations and for these guys' clubs but it produces entertaining soccer by slightly lowering the stakes.

More bad news for Barca. New guy Sergio Aguero was injured in training on Saturday and is expected to be out 8-10 weeks.

Carli Lloyd announced her retirement. She’ll play the 4 fall friendlies and complete the NWSL season with Gotham FC and that’s it. Her 312 caps are 2nd all time behind Kristine Lilly. Her 128 goals are 4th in US history and 5th in World soccer and 64 assists are 6th in US history.

Lloyd has never been my cup of tea as a player, but she's absolutely put up one of the most impressive career resumes of all time as an international.

Lloyd has never been my cup of tea as a player, but she's absolutely put up one of the most impressive career resumes of all time as an international.
Mine either. And as my youngest said,Lloyd is such a selfish players, she was surprised she didn’t try to hold on for 2-3 more years.

Mine either. And as my youngest said,Lloyd is such a selfish players, she was surprised she didn’t try to hold on for 2-3 more years.
I've read a few articles suggesting that Vladko made it very clear to Carly that this Olympics was going to be her last shot at a full time national team role ... otherwise, I think she'd probably be doing that right now.

Barcelona is €1.35 billion in debt. Salaries are 103% of income, which the President blames on “state clubs” (Man City and PSG). They couldn’t register Messi and were only able to register Memphis Depay and Eric Garcia because Gerard Pique accepted a last minute pay cut.

Back