• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22 News Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
May as well switch seasons, since the Euro clubs are in camp, Champions League prelims start this week and all the important summer tourneys other than the Olympics. And the Gold Cup, I guess ... not that anyone involved actually considers that "important."

So ... at least we can start off with CL prelims and the Olympics. Have at it.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Quarterfinals are set for the Gold Cup ...

US vs Jamaica
Qatar vs El Salvador

Mexico vs Honduras
Costa Rica vs Canada

Good bracket for the US, but they're dealing with injuries and have had to send Walker Zimmerman home. That's a blow to the backline as he was by far the most experienced international in the group. Honestly? I only watched the game with Canada in the groups, but I don't see any possible way this US squad can hang with Mexico or Costa Rica. In fact, I doubt they'd get past El Salvador if the bracket falls that way.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The USWNT opened Olympic play by getting beaten silly by Sweden ... 3-0. Sweden were vastly better in defense and rather easily stretched the US out of shape when they had possession. It was the worst showing by a USWNT side that I've seen in years. Pretty much nothing went their way.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The USWNT opened Olympic play by getting beaten silly by Sweden ... 3-0. Sweden were vastly better in defense and rather easily stretched the US out of shape when they had possession. It was the worst showing by a USWNT side that I've seen in years. Pretty much nothing went their way.
I chose not to wake up at 4:30 for that. In the other group game, Australia beat New Zealand 2-1. The Matildas had about 60% possession and dominated the whole way. That goal by New Zealand came in stoppage and could prove huge in goal differential if the group comes down to that. The US take on New Zealand on Saturday at 7:30.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I recorded it man ... I'm not that far gone. I didn't watch the Australia game, but they're a handful. The US needs to wake up quick or else this could be a very, very bad Olympics for them. Honestly, I was hoping Vladko would at least shake up the system even if he went with the old guard, but I guess Covid probably dictated otherwise.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The USWNT sorta stormed back from that defeat. They hung 6 on a bad New Zealand team (and had several goals waived off for offsides decisions) but I dunno what to make of it, as the Ferns were THAT bad.

In the other group game, Sweden made what looked like fairly easy work of Australia by a 4-2 score. Sam Kerr is still amazing, but the Matilda's are mostly just athletic otherwise. They did do a much better job of maintaining possession against Sweden than the US did the other day. Should be a real battle for the US, since Kerr is a threat from anywhere.

Otherwise ... Team GB beat the hosts 1-0, with a ton of possession. Scotland may only be contributing Kim Little to proceedings, but she makes a HUGE difference for them. The Brits really needed that midfielder who can turn, burn and link to the attack. Takes the pressure off their wide players. The Dutch and Brazilians ended honors even in the other heavyweight bout.

Last edited:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
USWNT looked like hot garbage in possession, but they managed a 0-0 draw with Australia to qualify for the knockout rounds. Sweden beat New Zealand to wrap up the group. The US ladies looked tentative, never seemed sure of when to press and passed the ball VERY poorly. They're consistently getting beaten in midfield, which is just not something this group is used to seeing ... like, ever. Bottom line ... given what I've seen so far, I'd be highly surprised to see the US bring home a medal in this tournament. But hey, maybe they're sandbagging and saving their legs by not running their customary press. I doubt it, but whatever.