• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23 News Thread

Mad that FIFA bullied the FA into requiring those players to go, via "special exemption" or whatever nonsense FIFA used to justify its boorish behavior. Glad that Brazilian medical officials stepped in to make FIFA and Conmebol look bad. Just wish they hadn't allowed the match to start.
Wonder what FIFA will do to bully Brazil, though, now that this has happened?
They’ll come up with something, I’m sure. They already announced that they were opening an investigation. And there is enough blame to go around to all parties involved. The 4 Argentines play in the most televised league in the world. LoCelso and Martinez played in their match against Venezuela on Thursday. The lineups were handed in before the match started. No one figured it out beforehand? Ridiculous.

Here is the other shoe. Brazil and FIFA will prevent certain players from re-joining their Premier League clubs for the weekend. Liverpool and Man City will both be without their starting keepers. Liverpool will also miss Firmino and Fabinho. City will also be missing Gabriel Jesus. Chelsea will miss Thiago Silva, Man U will miss Fred and Leeds will miss Raphinha. Chelsea and Man U will also miss those players for their first Champions League match on Tuesday but Liverpool and Man City play on Wednesday and will have their players back.

Last edited:
Villa looks to be missing Martinez and Buendia this weekend against Chelsea as well. Which is .... just lovely.

Villa looks to be missing Martinez and Buendia this weekend against Chelsea as well. Which is .... just lovely.
Thatls different than what Brazil is trying to force. Martinez and Buendia (and the 2 Spurs) were always going to miss the match because they have to quarantine after coming from a Red country. They’re reducing the quarantine by a few days by quarantining in Croatia rather than coming straight back to the UK, so they’ll only miss this weekend.

Brazil is trying to extract their pound of flesh against clubs that didn’t release their players for qualifying. The players they’re trying to have suspended didn’t leave England. Note that Everton isn’t included because they released Richarlison for the Olympics.

I know ... I'm just complaining out loud. This whole thing sucks for clubs with internationals right now.

Glad that FIFA reversed the decision, and allowed those lads to play this weekend, and today. Would've been furious with Brazil for being a huge part of the problem. And Fabinho went out and had, arguably, a MOTM performance vs. Leeds.

The USL is applying for 2nd division status for a new women’s league to start play in 2023.

The US club and college programs generate so much talent that they may as well have somewhere else to play. Plus a 2nd Division league would offer opportunities for foreign born players who aren't really looking to go the US college route. I think it would be good for the women's game in general.

Absolutely bananas end in the Ipswich Town v. Sheffield Wednesday match today. A player from Ipswich Town hides behind the keeper and steals the ball when he puts it down. Ipswich end up getting a 90th minute equalizer.

England and Liverpool legend Roger Hunt died today, age 83. All-time top scorer for Liverpool in the top flight, 18 goals in 36 for England, including 3 in the build up to the 1966 World Cup final, which England won. R. I. P., Roger! 😢

There is a sexual harassment shitstorm coming in the NWSL. Meg Linehan describes it in The Athletic. A lot of it centers on Paul Riley, head coach of the NC Courage, but the activities started when he was coaching in Philadelphia and followed him to Long Isaland and Portland when he coached the Thorns. He was fired there after an internal investigation but hired by the Western New York Flash a few months later. The Flash relocated to North Carolina in 2017.

As an update to the above, Paul Riley is now the former head coach of the NC Courage. He was whacked this afternoon.

Premier League players who are fully vaccinated no longer have to quarantine for 10 days upon returning from a country on England’s red list. They won’t be able to go home, they’ll have to quarantine at a team facility but can leave once per day for training or games.

All NWSL matches for the weekend have been postponed. The players union, league and teams have been meeting this morning.
NWSL commissioner and head legal counsel are gone. "Resignations" occurred ... otherwise known as graceful firings. The thing is, that's kind of a part of the problem in the first place. Somebody screws up and gets gracefully removed with no stain on their resume so they can go screw up again. Firing people who have screwed up mightily is a thing American corporate culture has completely forgotten how to do.

BTW ... I am volcanically angry about this whole deal and don't have words to comment on the actual issue

BTW ... I am volcanically angry about this whole deal and don't have words to comment on the actual issue
Hard same. I had to put Linehan’s article down several times because my blood pressure was spiking.

I finally finished it, but it's gonna take a while to process. Good to see US Soccer at least making the right noises, but otherwise I'm underwhelmed with the responses I'm seeing for anyone other than players.

Back