• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23 News Thread

First shoe ready to drop. Odd they're considering dropping Bruce without a replacement lined up.

Amanda Staveley to meet with Newcastle players and staff later today
Seems dumb to me. Yeah, Bruce is past it and was a bad hire, but one thing the guy is good at is pragmatically grinding out points. Seems to me, with no wins 7 games into the season you'd want to focus on surviving this season so you don't have to waste time doing the Championship 2-step before you can start spending that oil money. And Bruce is exactly the kind of guy you hire to survive. The problem is keeping him around too long expecting him to do anything else. It would cheaper just to target a few Steve Bruce type players in the January window and letting him grind out enough draws to get you out of the drop zone.

The Washington Post says he told investors that he’s selling his stake. He didn’t say to whom only that he expected it to close by the end of the year.
I read that it was the equity partner, Michele Kang? Is that right? Think it was Yahoo! News but I can't find the story.

Edit: because I was looking for sale news, not Michele Kang news. It was an SI story about the players demanding the sale to her.

I read that it was the equity partner, Michele Kang? Is that right? Think it was Yahoo! News but I can't find the story.

Edit: because I was looking for sale news, not Michele Kang news. It was an SI story about the players demanding the sale to her.
Apparently Baldwin has offered to sell out to Kang repeatedly ... and rescinded the offer as many times. He's a creep and he's convinced himself that Kang is out to get him or something. Maybe she is for all I know, but he's still a creep. I think he'd sell his shares to Daffy Duck if it means keeping control away from Kang. I also expect that the only "complication" involved in the sale is that Baldwin is over-valuing his stake in the club and demanding to be paid a premium for basically running the club even further into the ground.

VET. YOUR. OWNERS. BETTER

England will play their next UEFA match behind closed doors after the problems during the Euro 2020 Final. A 2nd match stadium ban was suspended for 2 years. The FA was also fined €100k. It doesn’t affect World Cup qualifiers so it’s not in effect until the next round of Nations League matches next year.

England will play their next UEFA match behind closed doors after the problems during the Euro 2020 Final. A 2nd match stadium ban was suspended for 2 years. The FA was also fined €100k. It doesn’t affect World Cup qualifiers so it’s not in effect until the next round of Nations League matches next year.

Good thing Honduras don't play in UEFA or else they'd be playing their next set of home matches on the freaking Moon. Not minimizing anything ... just pointing out the differing standards in the confederations.

Good thing Honduras don't play in UEFA or else they'd be playing their next set of home matches on the freaking Moon. Not minimizing anything ... just pointing out the differing standards in the confederations.
A whole lot more eyes on UEFA than CONCACAF. You could apply the same question to how Mexico ever gets to play in front of fans at home. They’d be on a UEFA perma-ban list.

UEFA bans England, but allows Hungary and the Czech Republic to continue in the international team and club level international competitions respectively? Color me less than impressed with this response to England's fans' behavior if that nonsense goes unpunished.

Speaking of bad fan behavior, PSG supporters won’t be allowed at their match in Marseille on the weekend. And it’s not the first time that they’ve been banned by local authorities. But it’s been a problem in all of France this season. Marseilles's match at Nice was abandoned when Marseille midfielder Dimitri Payet was hit by a bottle which he then threw back into the stands (good idea, that) that led to a pitch invasion. There have also been problems in Lille, Metz and Montpellier.

Steve Bruce officially at at Newcastle "by mutual consent." Yeah, right. Lampard is being touted as a target, FWIW.

Bruce walks away with a £8 million golden parachute. He says it’s his last job. He’s 60 but looks much older than that, he should take his money and run and stay away.

Speaking of bad fan behavior, PSG supporters won’t be allowed at their match in Marseille on the weekend. And it’s not the first time that they’ve been banned by local authorities. But it’s been a problem in all of France this season. Marseilles's match at Nice was abandoned when Marseille midfielder Dimitri Payet was hit by a bottle which he then threw back into the stands (good idea, that) that led to a pitch invasion. There have also been problems in Lille, Metz and Montpellier.
Which is funny, because I read a story a couple weeks back about how PSG's Qatari owners have cracked down hard on anyone that either brings the club into disrepute (the ultras) or even has the temerity to criticize the club. So clearly the thugs are still getting through, at least. Must've been more deeply ingrained in the club than even the owners knew.

He’s 60 but looks much older than that, he should take his money and run and stay away.
I saw his son being interviewed in a clip the other day, and HE looks freaking old. Something in those genes, man.

IIRC Bruce tried to take the money and run a few years ago, and it didn't stick. Remember of all those pictures on him sunning his whale-like form on various beaches with captions like "tan, rested and ready?" That may have been after he got shivved at Hull. The man has had multiple golden parachutes in his career, after all. It's hard to keep them straight.

Bruce walks away with a £8 million golden parachute. He says it’s his last job. He’s 60 but looks much older than that, he should take his money and run and stay away.
Wait! He's 60?! 😳 I'M 60, and I don't look nearly that old. Geez, really does look bad. Maybe too many pies? 😉

Some problems in Saint Etienne today. The fans aren’t happy with the team’s performance, after today’s draw with Angers, they’re still last in Ligue 1 with 5 points in 11 matches.

Barcelona finally conducted a mercy killing and whacked Ronald Koeman after he lost to Rayo Vallecano tonight. That followed a loss in El Classico on Sunday, making him the first Barcelona coach in 85 years to lose 3 straight Classico. The loss tonight leaves Barca 9th in the table.

Back