• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22 Premiere League Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Posted on the right thread this time…

NBC confirmed that they submitted a bid for the Premier League rights. The chairman of NBC Sports thinks it will be wrapped up in 1 or 2 weeks. Bids were due on Monday and I’ve only seen that NBC and ESPN confirmed that they had placed a bid.

Ed H in Pasadena

Posted on the right thread this time…

NBC confirmed that they submitted a bid for the Premier League rights. The chairman of NBC Sports thinks it will be wrapped up in 1 or 2 weeks. Bids were due on Monday and I’ve only seen that NBC and ESPN confirmed that they had placed a bid.
I'm surprised NBC is trying again. Thought they were getting out of those NBCSN sports. Gave up the NHL after all, and the network itself will be gone soon.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm surprised NBC is trying again. Thought they were getting out of those NBCSN sports. Gave up the NHL after all, and the network itself will be gone soon.
Supposedly they streamlined their other sports rights contracts to make sure they could keep the Premiership. It IS something that they actually do well.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Villa hire Steven Gerrard as their new head coach. They go to Anfield in a month.
OK ... a few thoughts from a Villan

I was never a Stevie G fan and I don't support Liverpool. I'm a Celtic fan who's great granny taught him to hate Rangers from a young age. So, when I say this looks like a good hire, I actually mean it. Gerrard did REALLY good work in Glasgow. Rangers had some talent when he got there, having geared up to get back to the SPL after financial oblivion, but they lacked spine and a functioning, scale-able system. He installed a modified version of Klopp's Liverpool/Dortmund system, trained up his boys, developed some depth and then started to absolutely roll suckers in Scotland. And once they qualified for Europe, their game scaled up well and they have had success. Not flukey, defend with 9 and hope for the best success ... they actually played their style and won.

The big question in the short term ... can he do the same with a team built to play a completely different system? Now, ownership WILL spend, so he's got a bit of a chance in January to tweak things. If he's going to build towards a high press/counter press system then the current midfield probably won't work ... but could do with a bit of tweaking. The overall talent level is strong, but the players brought in this year never looked settled (aside from Ings ... a freaking striker) and seemed to unsettle some of the others.

Here's the short version, at least for me. Smith has been building a team to attack fluidly and aggressively and then recover and re-group. He failed when he lost his nerve and started worrying about defense first last season. Yeah, it worked when Grealish was there to unlock doors, but without him ... meh. Ownership wants attacking football and the personnel team have been getting them attacking players ... freaking use them.

Ed H in Pasadena

Matchday #12 fixtures

Saturday, November 20​

Sunday, November 21​

Match of the weekend at Anfield. Here's hoping my Reds can cool off the red-hot Gunners. And Stevie G's got a tricky home fixture in his debut, facing a tough Gulls team.

Last edited:

HNIM

NBC retains the Premier League US TV rights, 6 years/$2.6 billion. That’s more than double the expiring contract.
Almost triple from what I have read. 17M vs 6M per team. The penalty for relegation keeps getting more and more severe.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Not Premier League related but in the Championship, Reading has been docked 6 points for financial improprieties with another 6 points deferred until next season as long as they follow a EFL spending plan. That leaves them 19th in the table, 4 points above relegation. Derby had been docked 21 points and sit DFL in the table at -3 points.

Ed H in Pasadena

Not Premier League related but in the Championship, Reading has been docked 6 points for financial improprieties with another 6 points deferred until next season as long as they follow a EFL spending plan. That leaves them 19th in the table, 4 points above relegation. Derby had been docked 21 points and sit DFL in the table at -3 points.
Yeah I saw that but wasn't sure where to report it. At least Reading can recover. Not sure how Derby does, which is pretty awful.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
West Ham defender Angelo Ogbonna is out for the season with an ACL injury suffered against Liverpool.

Kevin De Bruyne tested positive for Covid and is isolating in Belgium. He’ll miss this weekend against Everton and next week’s UCL match against PSG. City could also be without Jack Grealish while Ferran Torres fractured his foot playing for Spain.

Ed H in Pasadena

West Ham defender Angelo Ogbonna is out for the season with an ACL injury suffered against Liverpool.

Kevin De Bruyne tested positive for Covid and is isolating in Belgium. He’ll miss this weekend against Everton and next week’s UCL match against PSG. City could also be without Jack Grealish while Ferran Torres fractured his foot playing for Spain.
Ogbonna's injury looked bad in the moment. Too bad, as he'd been a stalwart for them in the back. Severe test of their depth.

As for Torres, I'd missed that injury. But even without those three, they still have a bajillion mids to call on to fill the lineup out.

Ed H in Pasadena

Saturday's results
PREMIER LEAGUE
Leicester 0 Chelsea 3
Aston Villa 2 Brighton 0
Burnley 3 Crystal Palace 3
Newcastle 3 Brentford 3
Norwich 2 Southampton 1
Watford 4 Man Utd 1
Wolves 1 West Ham 0
Liverpool 4 Arsenal 0

Nice to see Stevie G get a win in his debut. Man U are a train wreck and Ole HAS to go. And not sure what happened, but Liverpool were rampant vs Arsenal today.

P.S. Leicester are in free fall right now. Not sure what Brendan is thinking but his squad look heartless.

Last edited:
Just like with former Villa legend John Terry, I've always loved Stevie G and have never said a negative thing about him in the past and you can't prove otherwise. Also, the reason England's midfield never worked was always because of Frank Lampard eating all the pies and not at all because of Stevie. The replay isn't available on peacock for another hour for some reason, but looking forward to watching the match. Villa were just desperate for new leadership. Dean Smith did well bringing Villa out of the championship, but the entire last season was really held together by Jack Grealish making everything happen.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Solskjaer is out, he was sacked after the match. Now it gets interesting. They appointed Michael Carrick as interim manager until they can find an interim manager through the end of the season. Keep in mind that Solskjaer was initially an interim coach too.