• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22 Premiere League Thread

Ed H in Pasadena

Tables after Matchday Four
TeamGD
1Man Utd4310113810
2Chelsea431091810
3Liverpool 431091810
4Everton 4310104610
5Man City4301111109
6Brighton43015329
7Spurs 43013309
8West Ham422010558
9Leicester 420246-26
10Brentford 41213215
11Crystal Palace41215505
12 Aston Villa411257-24
13Wolves 410323-13
14Southampton 403146-23
15Watford 410337-43
16Arsenal 410319-83
17Leeds 4022411-72
18Burnley 401338-51
19Newcastle 4013512-71
20Norwich 4004111-100

Ed H in Pasadena

Who's excited for Matchday #5? Which fixture (other than your team's) are you most interested in? Here are the fixtures, with one featuring on Friday and no Monday Night Football

Friday 17 September​

20:00 Newcastle v Leeds

Saturday 18 September​

12:30 Wolves v Brentford
Burnley v Arsenal
Liverpool v Crystal Palace
Man City v Southampton
Norwich v Watford
17:30 Aston Villa v Everton

Sunday 19 September​

14:00 Brighton v Leicester
14:00 West Ham v Man Utd*
16:30 Spurs v Chelsea*

Ed H in Pasadena

Who's excited for Matchday #5? Which fixture (other than your team's) are you most interested in? Here are the fixtures, with one featuring on Friday and no Monday Night Football

Sunday 19 September​

14:00 Brighton v Leicester
14:00 West Ham v Man Utd*
16:30 Spurs v Chelsea*
To answer my own question, the Sunday matches ALL look intriguing at this time. Can Brighton keep up its hot start vs. the Foxes? Just how good are West Ham and Man U? And a London derby to cap it all off? Excellent!

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I won’t see any of Friday or Saturday, big craft beer festival in Raleigh and we’re staying in a hotel. I might be home for the derby on Sunday.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Burnley signed Sean Dyche to a 4 year extension.

In the Championship, Derby County are set to enter administration. They survived by 1 point last year but would have been relegated had Sheffield Wednesday not had a 6 point deduction. They face a 12 point deduction that could grow as their accounts from 2016-18 are being re-examined. They’re for sale and had negotiations with “credible parties” but identifying a buyer in the short term is unlkely.

Ed H in Pasadena

Disappointing to see my Reds concede as many yesterday as they had all year. Full credit to the Bees, who fought back twice. But that was the worst defending from our back four since Real Madrid last year. Ugh!
Glad ManU lost (and that Bruno missed a penalty), and Chelsea, too. And don't look now but Brighton can move top by taking all three points Monday. How cool would that be?

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Villa and Argentina keeper Emi Martinez is turning into a real force when it comes to getting into guys' heads when they're taking pens. He made Fernades so mad he almost shot that ball out of the freaking stadium and then did a little jig ... in Old Trafford, while abuse rained down from the stands. Apparently he left a wide trail of hurt feelings behind him thus summer in the Copa too.

Ed H in Pasadena

Today's results
Southampton 0-1 Wolves (and Raul Jimenez nets his first since returning from his horrific skull fracture. So made up for him).
Arsenal 3-1 Spurs (wow, Arsenal in the ascendancy. Knew that rough start was an anomaly)

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Today's results
Southampton 0-1 Wolves (and Raul Jimenez nets his first since returning from his horrific skull fracture. So made up for him).
Arsenal 3-1 Spurs (wow, Arsenal in the ascendancy. Knew that rough start was an anomaly)
North London is RED!

Spurs were a complete mess, the midfield was MIA and Arsenal took savage advantage of it.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Spurs weren't built to play any system that their manager is comfortable with. That process is either going to take a long, long time (to get different personnel and/or break the habits of years) or a VERY short time (to get a different manager).

Ed H in Pasadena

Spurs weren't built to play any system that their manager is comfortable with. That process is either going to take a long, long time (to get different personnel and/or break the habits of years) or a VERY short time (to get a different manager).
You think the owners and management might have thought that out. And for crying out loud, what's the point of keeping Harry Kane at this point? Such a distraction before, and I'm not sure they've recovered. And sometimes, Harry looks like he's disinterested.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
You think the owners and management might have thought that out. And for crying out loud, what's the point of keeping Harry Kane at this point? Such a distraction before, and I'm not sure they've recovered. And sometimes, Harry looks like he's disinterested.
Yeah ... nothing new for Levy, really. Remember how rushed it was when they off-loaded Bale? And the whole world knew that was coming for months. And when they brought in Mourinho they didn't exactly pave the way with players of the type he required either, and that was also a heck of a direction change from Pochettino. Transition periods? We don't need no stinking transition periods.

Ed H in Pasadena

Final match of the weekend, and it goes down right to the death. Neil Maupay scores in the 5th minute of injury time with the last kick, and Brighton steals a point from Crystal Palace! Wow!

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
After matchweek 3, Spurs were top and Arsenal were bottom. How things change in 3 weeks. Except for Norwich, things never change for them.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
There's a few sides that have to be fairly grumpy right now ... Leeds, Wolves and Leicester won't be any more satisfied with their starts than are Spurs and Arsenal.

Tryamw

Query: What are the lines signifying? I assume the bottom most is the relegation line.(but I thought only 2 teams could be relegated) At first I thought it was to show tied but Everton is outside the second block.. Thanks for your time.

StormChaserBH

Query: What are the lines signifying? I assume the bottom most is the relegation line.(but I thought only 2 teams could be relegated) At first I thought it was to show tied but Everton is outside the second block.. Thanks for your time.
1 - League Champion, 1-4 - qualify for UEFA Champions League , 5-6 - qualify for UEFA Europa League, 7 - can qualify for UEFA competition, 18-20 relegation

The UEFA "lines" are fluid; stuff can change depending on which teams win tournaments and such:
The maximum number of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven.

Last edited:

Ed H in Pasadena

Matchweek #7, ending with the match between the last two league champions who currently sit 1-2, my Reds vs Citeh.

Saturday 2 October 2021
Premier League
04:30Man Utd
Everton

07:00Burnley
Norwich

07:00Chelsea
Southampton

07:00Leeds
Watford

07:00Wolves
Newcastle

09:30Brighton
Arsenal

Sunday 3 October 2021
06:00C Palace
Leicester

06:00Spurs
Aston Villa

06:00West Ham
Brentford

08:30Liverpool
Man City

Ed H in Pasadena

October 2021​

Sunday 3rd October​

Crystal Palace 2-2 Leicester CityFT
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Aston VillaFT
West Ham United 1-2 BrentfordFT
Liverpool 2-2 Manchester CityFT

Saturday 2nd October​

Manchester United 1-1 EvertonFT
Burnley 0-0 Norwich CityFT
Chelsea 3-1 SouthamptonFT
Leeds United 1-0 WatfordFT
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Newcastle UnitedFT
Brighton and Hove Albion 0-0 Arsenal

That Liverpool/City match was as good as football gets. Breathtaking stuff.