• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22 Season Hurricanes Misc. Thread

Email to STMs tonight provides some explanation...given what's going on with the supply chains of virtually every business, I'll give them a pass...

OK, scroll all the way to the bottom of the tickets in Caniac Account Manager and the pass is there. You can also get a slip of paper at a STM kiosk with a QR code to scan at the registers. But that is probably just for the discount, not the F&B credit.

I'll give 'em opening night, but I share my pair o' tix with a friend, so I'm just hoping they get the physical cards to us (because I keep one and give the other to him) before the home games resume post-state fair. (Is there an F&B credit anymore? It's been a long 19 months, but I thought it was just % off)

I'll give 'em opening night, but I share my pair o' tix with a friend, so I'm just hoping they get the physical cards to us (because I keep one and give the other to him) before the home games resume post-state fair. (Is there an F&B credit anymore? It's been a long 19 months, but I thought it was just % off)
You might still be OK. I put my pass in my Apple Wallet and the discount card is still in Caniac Account Manager. You might both be able to save them.

BTW ... in case anybody missed it in the other thread, the Canes' guys all cleared waivers.

The Metro Division beat writers from The Athletic posted their preview with predicted order of finish. Teams got 8 points for 1st, 7 for 2nd, etc. the Isles were first with 70 points and 7 first place votes, the Canes 2nd with 62 and the other 2 first place votes. Then a big drop off to the Rangers and Pens in 3rd with 43 points. Caps at 38, Flyers at 32, Devils at 26 and Jackets at 10 make up the bottom half.

The Devils writer thinks the Isles and Canes are safe bets to make the playoffs but after that, he’d pick whoever has the fewest man-games lost to injury among the other teams not based in Columbus. I’m not sure what’s causing the deficit in his mental faculties, but he needs to address it.

The Devils writer thinks the Isles and Canes are safe bets to make the playoffs but after that, he’d pick whoever has the fewest man-games lost to injury among the other teams not based in Columbus. I’m not sure what’s causing the deficit in his mental faculties, but he needs to address it.

Pretty sure he just doesn't want to include his "own team" in the dead zone ... which is a common malady among beat writers these days. Civian is spot on regarding this subject ... it ain't "her team," it's the team she covers.

But yeah, take the Devs out of that pool and I think he expressed my own feelings about the others pretty succinctly

Since the league really has become a young man's game, Father Time has certainly caught up to the Pens and is calling on the Caps as well. You know Trotz will have his team locked down on defense as usual so it's a safe bet on the Isles and Canes 1-2 in either order at the top. The Rangers to me are the one team that really could go either way with all that young talent...they are stacked with a great core of young stars. The Flyers and Devils are in the mix in the middle and the Jackets I see as a cellar dweller.

Several of the guys on the NHL XM station picked the Canes as locks in the Metro, along with the Aisles. Most thought that the health and durability of Crosby and Malkin was a huge factor in the Pens success.

For me, I'm still very skeptical. And will need to see 10-12 games before I even begin to feel better about this team.

Several of the guys on the NHL XM station picked the Canes as locks in the Metro, along with the Aisles. Most thought that the health and durability of Crosby and Malkin was a huge factor in the Pens success.

For me, I'm still very skeptical. And will need to see 10-12 games before I even begin to feel better about this team.
I keep telling people to wait until Thanksgiving. Too many changes were made for this team to be settled in a matter of a month, IMO.

I keep telling people to wait until Thanksgiving. Too many changes were made for this team to be settled in a matter of a month, IMO.
After beating the Red Wings 6-4 on the day after Thanksgiving 2002, the Canes were in 1st in the division with a 10-7-4-3 record. But Kevin Weekes was concussed when either Draper or Maltby jumped him during a scrum and the season turned to the brown stuff after that, with only 12 more wins in the last 58 games, and 4 of them were during an improbable winning streak in March.

After beating the Red Wings 6-4 on the day after Thanksgiving 2002, the Canes were in 1st in the division with a 10-7-4-3 record. But Kevin Weekes was concussed when either Draper or Maltby jumped him during a scrum and the season turned to the brown stuff after that, with only 12 more wins in the last 58 games, and 4 of them were during an improbable winning streak in March.
Well, yeah ... there's that. And thanks for dredging up horrible memories, by the way.

Still, I stand by my statement on THIS season. I think it's going to take these guys a good 15-20 games to find their roles and settle in. That puts us right around American Thanksgiving.

I agree on the Thanksgiving timeline but this team better not leave too many early season points on the table in this division...the old saying, you cannot win a division or a playoff spot in October but you certainly can lose one if you get off to a dreadful start!

The odd thing is, while we are talking here about teams like the Pens and Cap aging, the reality is the Islanders average age of their roster is 29.6. Pens are at 27.2. Caps are at 27.8.

Anyhow, I know if the core of those teams that are aging rapidly more so than just being about the total average age, but the Islanders are pretty darn old in terms of average age.

Canes initial roster (which we know is likely going to change as soon as today) checks in at 26.5.

And I agree with JB. This team might have some early season hiccups just due to sheer number of new faces. There are so many areas that we won't know how it all looks until we have played a bunch of games.

PP1, how does it look without Dougie and with TDA?

5v5, how does it look without Dougie driving offense?

What exactly are TDA, Cole and Ethan Bear going to do out there when the puck drops for real?

Are either of our new goalies going to be any good?

True that we cannot spend the first 10-20 games figuring it out and dropping points while we do. But if we look like a hot mess in the opener? Don't panic right away.

I agree on the Thanksgiving timeline but this team better not leave too many early season points on the table in this division...the old saying, you cannot win a division or a playoff spot in October but you certainly can lose one if you get off to a dreadful start!
There are 21 games in October and November, only 8 at home. Isles, Leafs, Bruins, Blackhawks, Yotes, Flyers, Blues, Caps. There are 5 divisional games, Isles, Flyers, Caps at home, at Columbus and Flyers. Only 6 are against other “top tier” teams, Isles, Leafs, Bruins, Panthers, Lightning, Vegas. Is 30 points realistic?

That’s the idiocy of NHL .500 meets the suckage of the southeast back then.

There are 21 games in October and November, only 8 at home. Isles, Leafs, Bruins, Blackhawks, Yotes, Flyers, Blues, Caps. There are 5 divisional games, Isles, Flyers, Caps at home, at Columbus and Flyers. Only 6 are against other “top tier” teams, Isles, Leafs, Bruins, Panthers, Lightning, Vegas. Is 30 points realistic?
I have no clue, which is at the root of what I'm talking about in the first place. I'm looking to see how the team is playing coming out of Thanksgiving and then we'll see. I'd love to see them come out of that stretch at NHL .500 plus a game or two, but I suspect such a start might have the locals burning somebody in effigy.

I agree. If we’re .500 or better at thanksgiving and starting to gel I think we’ll be fine.

We could be better than that but I’d be surprised if we LOOK good before then.

I totally get the need to give them some time so that they can begin to establish some team chemistry. Remember Dougie Hamilton's first few months with the Canes? It wasn't pretty, but things sorted themselves out after that.

Back