• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Miscellaneous Thread

other than Canes last year how many times did a team need to use the EBUG? It's very , very rare. I assume that's why Mrzaek is #3 now. Maybe he could play part of a game if needed.

other than Canes last year how many times did a team need to use the EBUG? It's very , very rare. I assume that's why Mrzaek is #3 now.
Teams are required to have 3 goalies on site this year, so no EBUG. As we saw when Mrazek was injured, as soon as he left, Ned came from wherever he was and sat on the bench.

Its extremely rare that an EBUG has to actually play in a game. Maybe 1 time on average every 10 full seasons (or even rarer than that)? Scott Foster played part of a game for the Blackhawks in 17-18. I don't know the last time before that where the EBUG HAD to play (note that I'm putting those in bold as we shouldn't count Jorge Alves playing 10 seconds for the Canes, that was a choice not a necessity).

So the risk the Canes are taking is a pretty darn low risk. If we really really get unlucky, Mrazek can at least be in gear and block stuff, just without using his stick maybe? Not ideal, but better than what a 'non-goalie' in goalie gear would likely be able to accomplish.

I assume Alves would not be allowed to play this year

A few months ago a NFL team tried to activate an assistant coach as a QB , think it was the Broncos. NFL nixed that .

Luke has a column about the status of contract extensions for Svech and RBA. He said the current framework under discussion for Svech is a bridge deal, with Barzal’s 3 year/$21 million and Laine’s 2 year/$13.5 million contacts as comps.

As for RBA, Luke says he makes $600k and his getting pressure from his peers to get his salary closer to the league average. The coaches salaries listed on CapFriendly average $3.2 million but only includes 13 coaches. The actual average is probably lower than that. While LeBrun said he thinks RBA would be happy with a contract that starts with a 2, that would be more than triple what he supposedly makes now.

Luke has a column about the status of contract extensions for Svech and RBA. He said the current framework under discussion for Svech is a bridge deal, with Barzal’s 3 year/$21 million and Laine’s 2 year/$13.5 million contacts as comps.

As for RBA, Luke says he makes $600k and his getting pressure from his peers to get his salary closer to the league average. The coaches salaries listed on CapFriendly average $3.2 million but only includes 13 coaches. The actual average is probably lower than that. While LeBrun said he thinks RBA would be happy with a contract that starts with a 2, that would be more than triple what he supposedly makes now.

A big difference between Rod and many of the other coaches in the league is that he earned over $50 million in his career as a player, so while I'm sure he would like to be paid something close to the market rate, I doubt he is terribly motivated by the size of his paycheck.

A big difference between Rod and many of the other coaches in the league is that he earned over $50 million in his career as a player, so while I'm sure he would like to be paid something close to the market rate, I doubt he is terribly motivated by the size of his paycheck.
Agreed. If the size of his paycheck isn’t at the bottom of his priority list, I think it’s pretty close.

Pulling up this stat sent be down a rabbit hole investigating the other 30 current NHL head coaches and their playing days. From what I can tell, 12 of them--in addition to RBA--played at least one game in the NHL, but none come close to Rod in terms of career earnings. The closest would be Rod's former Philly teammate Arizona coach Rick Tocchet, who pocketed about $20 million during his playing days.

The other current coaches who have played at least one game in the NHL are Chicago's Jeremy Colliton, Edmonton's Dave Tippett, Florida's Joel Quenneville, Los Angeles's Todd McLellan, Minnesota's Dean Evason, Philadelphia's Alain Vigneault, Pittsburgh's Mike Sullivan, San Jose's Bob Boughner, St. Louis's Craig Berube, Vegas's Peter DeBoer, and Washington's Peter Laviolette.

Canes sent Lorentz and Bean to the taxi squad today and kept Ned on the active roster (delaying having to make a taxi squad purge for now).

Pulling up this stat sent be down a rabbit hole investigating the other 30 current NHL head coaches and their playing days. From what I can tell, 12 of them--in addition to RBA--played at least one game in the NHL, but none come close to Rod in terms of career earnings. The closest would be Rod's former Philly teammate Arizona coach Rick Tocchet, who pocketed about $20 million during his playing days.

The other current coaches who have played at least one game in the NHL are Chicago's Jeremy Colliton, Edmonton's Dave Tippett, Florida's Joel Quenneville, Los Angeles's Todd McLellan, Minnesota's Dean Evason, Philadelphia's Alain Vigneault, Pittsburgh's Mike Sullivan, San Jose's Bob Boughner, St. Louis's Craig Berube, Vegas's Peter DeBoer, and Washington's Peter Laviolette.
Berube and Tocchet were contemporaries, I’m a little surprised they didn’t earn about the same. Boughner didn’t play as many games as i thought, only 630. The rest either didn’t play that many games, Lavi only played 12, Vigneault 42, for example, or played before the big bucks, like Evason, Tippett and Q

I’m not. Tocchet was a big deal for a much shorter time frame than RBA and Berube was a tough guy who never put up any numbers.
Actually, I take that back to some extent. Tocchet put up bigger numbers than I realized. I just never thought of him at the same level that I thought of RBA.

Actually, I take that back to some extent. Tocchet put up bigger numbers than I realized. I just never thought of him at the same level that I thought of RBA.
I meant that Tocchet and Berube didn’t earn about the same. But I didn’t realize Tocchet had those numbers either; he only had 12 fewer goals than RBA in 340 fewer games.

IIRC Brind'Amour's contract includes some rather hefty incentive bonuses, so that $600K may look worse than it actually is. As for pressure from other guys ... I'm not sure Brindy is a peer pressure kind of guy. He's more the guy imposing his will on the group than the other way around. I saw a blurb from one of the ESPN hockey crew a while ago that indicated that the best guess for the actual league average coaching salary was more like $2-2.5 million, but there's a lot of incentive bonuses involved so it's kind of hard to calculate.

Back