• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Miscellaneous Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yup ... it's still uncomfortable to say (type) out loud, but this team having quite a good season and it doesn't look anything like a fluke. It's really weird to be contemplating a trade deadline where the Canes really don't have any obvious moves to make.

Tryamw

I just want to say that we're almost halfway through the season and we're number 3 in the league in points and number 5 in the league in points percentage, and that's after an early season player COVID outbreak and being without our #1 goaltender for the last month.

These are good times.
SHHH!!!! It's inviting disaster.. Not that I disagree with your point.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I just want to say that we're almost halfway through the season and we're number 3 in the league in points and number 5 in the league in points percentage, and that's after an early season player COVID outbreak and being without our #1 goaltender for the last month.

These are good times.
And we‘re tied for 4th in goals per game, 4th in Power Play % (30.1%!!!) and tied for 10th in the league in goals against per game (without our #1 goalie for the last month).

Good times, indeed.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The power play is the big step up in class for this team so far. The second unit hasn't been bad by any means, but that first unit has been hot fire most of the season. Dougie's really in charge up top and everybody has settled into their roles nicely. Trocheck being so effective in the net-front role has made a huge difference from last season.

And there's room to improve, which is also encouraging in its own way. The kill has never really found its stride this year (IMO at least) and there are still plenty of stretches where the decision making gets weird (like that 2nd period last night). They are getting results without having to have their A Game every night.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Huge difference from the last 20 years it feels like.
I mean, the Canes have had plenty of decent candidates in that role but Trocheck is actually doing the job on a regular basis. The last guy we had that was long term effective in the mix zone was probably Eric Staal and he was still hit and miss ... as well all know all too well. Williams did decent work in there the last two years, but it was too big an ask at that stage of his career.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
After a day off yesterday, the boys are back at it today

Teravainen/Aho/McGinn
Svech/Staal/Fast
Nino/Trocheck/Necas
Martinook/Paquette/Foefeel/Lorentz

Slavin/Hamilton
Skjei/Pesce
Gardiner/Fleury
Bean/Ryan

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
RBA said after practice that Mrazek was still not ready to play. Gardiner will be a game time decision.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hope Turbo continues to return to full strength. Wasn’t his usual self the other night.
Yeah ... frankly, he wasn't as far off as I expected him to be. His head was processing stuff a beat or two ahead of his body, but he got better as the game went along.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
We have an expansion draft goalie. The Canes signed Beck Warm to an 2 year entry level contract. He gets the NHL minimum each year with a $25k signing bonus. He was on an AHL contract with the Wolves.

No brainer given the goalie depth in Carolina's system. Warm really came out of nowhere and might well return there, but at least now they have some freaking body signed past this season in net.