• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Miscellaneous Thread

cmaleski2

One wrinkle on this is that technically Warm would be exempt from exposure in the expansion draft as this is his first NHL contract. However its pretty clear that both sides worked this out specifically to allow the Canes to have a goalie to expose per the expansion draft rules.

Again, congrats to this kid, he is getting paid '$50k' no matter what and has himself locked into a contract for another season at Chicago as well.

Paulie Walnuts

Only starter guy Canes lost in expansion draft was in 99 Trevor Kidd. He ended up in Florida and his career was pretty much over few years later.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Only starter guy Canes lost in expansion draft was in 99 Trevor Kidd. He ended up in Florida and his career was pretty much over few years later.
It depends on how you define “starter”. Kidd went to the Flames in the expansion draft and they traded him to Florida for 3 players and a pick. Jeff Daniels was lost to Nashville in 1998. In the 2000 draft, the Canes lost Robert Kron to Columbus and Curtis Leschyshyn to Minnesota. Kron had 13 goals, 27 assists his last year with the Canes. Lespellcheck was a defensive dman who had 2 assists and was -19 in 53 games.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
It depends on how you define “starter”. Kidd went to the Flames in the expansion draft and they traded him to Florida for 3 players and a pick. Jeff Daniels was lost to Nashville in 1998. In the 2000 draft, the Canes lost Robert Kron to Columbus and Curtis Leschyshyn to Minnesota. Kron had 13 goals, 27 assists his last year with the Canes. Lespellcheck was a defensive dman who had 2 assists and was -19 in 53 games.
Yeah ... Kron and Lechyshyn were relatively major hits, especially in Mo's defense first, second and always system. Not big names, to be sure, but reliable veteran players who fit the team's system to a T. Kidd seemed like a big loss, but wasn't. Daniels was Daniels.

Carolina's overall talent level back then was sufficiently thin that it would have required real mismanagement for them to have lost anyone more significant than those guys under those expansion draft rules.

NoMich

Oh man, that's terrible. I don't recall the play that gave him the concussion. Was it a dirty hit or just a fluke of the game?

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Martin Necas was 3rd Star of the Week in the league. Mark Stone from Vegas was 1st star with 2 goals, 8 assists in 4 games. He had 5 assists in a 5-4 win over Minnesota on March 1. Thatcher Demko from Vancouver was 2nd star, he was 3-0 with a 1.00 GAA and .969 save %. Necas had 2 goals, 5 assists in 4 games.

cmaleski2

Oh man, that's terrible. I don't recall the play that gave him the concussion. Was it a dirty hit or just a fluke of the game?
It wasn't dirty. Nikita Zadorov squared him up and got him solidly in the neutral zone. Clean open ice hit. I don't have a video of the hit, but here is the NHL.com counting of it from that game (Feb 19th, 3rd period):

NHL Hit.PNG

Tryamw

It wasn't dirty. Nikita Zadorov squared him up and got him solidly in the neutral zone. Clean open ice hit. I don't have a video of the hit, but here is the NHL.com counting of it from that game (Feb 19th, 3rd period):

View attachment 8562
Has the video
the one thing it doesn't show is how long ago the puck left...

NoMich

Uh...dude went high and his skates left the ice during that hit and that puck looks to be long gone. Looks kinda dirty to me. But then again, the NHL cares about player safety, amirite? Crosschecking your stick into another player's face during a scrum? Eh, not *technically* illegal, so we'll let 'er slide. Sucker punches to the head? Eh, not *technically* illegal because a scrum was happening. Don't mind me, I'm just a greenpeace puke who cares about reducing concussions.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, when is Mrazek due back? Asking for my fantasy team.
They were pointing toward getting him back yesterday. But he didn’t practice today, they have games tomorrow and Thursday, then another 2 day break before heading to Detroit. I’d say not until Sunday, 3/14

cmaleski2

Uh...dude went high and his skates left the ice during that hit and that puck looks to be long gone. Looks kinda dirty to me. But then again, the NHL cares about player safety, amirite? Crosschecking your stick into another player's face during a scrum? Eh, not *technically* illegal, so we'll let 'er slide. Sucker punches to the head? Eh, not *technically* illegal because a scrum was happening. Don't mind me, I'm just a greenpeace puke who cares about reducing concussions.

Its not abnormal when contact is made for the hitting player to end up with skates off the ice.

If I recall, Teuvo had just hard rimmed the puck like a second before that hit. That is textbook 'big legal hit' to me. Skates were on the ice as contact was made, arm tucked, drove right through Teuvo's core. Not a blindside hit. No contact at all with the head. Was that hit too late? I didn't think it was at the time.

LJG

Its not abnormal when contact is made for the hitting player to end up with skates off the ice.

If I recall, Teuvo had just hard rimmed the puck like a second before that hit. That is textbook 'big legal hit' to me. Skates were on the ice as contact was made, arm tucked, drove right through Teuvo's core. Not a blindside hit. No contact at all with the head. Was that hit too late? I didn't think it was at the time.
But look how far above the ice his skates end up. Looks, to me, like the vertical impulse was generated by intent, not just simple physics of a follow through.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
But look how far above the ice his skates end up. Looks, to me, like the vertical impulse was generated by intent, not just simple physics of a follow through.
Yeah ... I get that. But if you want guys making primary contact with the body and not the head, then you're going to get checking players going low and exploding up through the contact. Sometimes the whiplash is worse than the hit, and there's no way to completely take that away unless you want to take away body checking entirely.