• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Miscellaneous Thread

cmaleski2

Just in case anyone else cared to know this.

Canes Games left 18:

FLA 1 Home 2 Away
DET 3 Home
NAS 2 Home 2 Away
TB 2 Away
DAL 2 Away
CLB 1 Home
CHI 3 Home

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Good test for whether Nashville is actually hot or if they've just had schedule luck of late. They've got one more against Tampa, 4 against the Canes and 2 against Florida in their remaining 15 games. That's a LOT different than the rich vein of Detroit, Dallas and Chicago games that made up the bulk of their recent run.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Bean was sent to the taxi squad today. Could be in indication that Gardiner is ready.

cmaleski2

That is just regular cycling of Bean back and forth to save cap space and money. He will be recalled from the taxi squad tomorrow and sent back to the taxi squad Sunday (back up Monday, back down Tuesday, back up Thursday, etc.) Saves the Canes cap space and cash, screws Jake Bean out of cash. The disadvantage of being a player who is still waiver exempt.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
McElhinney is looking particularly good tonight.
Looks like Tampa might be slowly losing faith in McElhinney. They started Chris Gibson in backup rotation game last week and he's very much a career third wheel. Vasilevskiy may well be the best goalie in hockey right now, but he's always been susceptible to wearing down with too much work.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Hakanpaa is practicing today, paired with Bean. I guess that means Gardiner is headed back to the taxi squad. Mrazek and Ned are the goalies.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hakanpaa is practicing today, paired with Bean. I guess that means Gardiner is headed back to the taxi squad. Mrazek and Ned are the goalies.
Given how he looked the last two games, that's 100% fair. He looks .... umm ... older than he actually is

And after reading Civian's article on the trade, I checked in with a few friends who follow the Ducks and was told that Hakanpaa has spent most of the season paired with Cam Fowler. In other words, holding down the blueline with a partner who roams a fair amount. Also, the Ducks play a system fairly similar to what the Canes do, at least in terms of their D group. It's a little more structured in Anaheim, but it shouldn't be too much of a transition for the big fella.

Last edited: