• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Miscellaneous Thread

The Florida Panthers have to be shaking their heads. As of this coming Saturday, they will have played only 2 of the 6 games they expected to play, with no idea when they will be making up those 4 games they have missed so far.

Yeah ... give it time and this will likely even out. If Florida ends up being the only team that gets their schedule banjaxed for the whole season, I would be highly surprised ... and slightly impressed, TBH.

Yeah ... give it time and this will likely even out. If Florida ends up being the only team that gets their schedule banjaxed for the whole season, I would be highly surprised ... and slightly impressed, TBH.
Look how long it took MLB to get its collective act together. And they still bollocksed up the World Series.

It’s official, the series is postponed, the earliest the Canes will play is Tuesday against Tampa. The practice rink is closed too, even though the team hasn’t used it since Tuesday. I think they’re last practice on Wednesday was at PNC.

Waddell and RBA had a video call earlier. Waddell says they don’t know how the players picked up the virus, as the league noted in its statement, the team has followed all the guidelines. He also said that PNC Arena just received the rapid test machine, so that will be used once the team comes out of quarantine. RBA said that Bill Burniston has been delivering bikes all over so the players can get some work in.

ETA: Canes Country has a pretty good transcript.

Last edited:
Those rapid test machines should have been in every arena and/or practice facility BEFORE camps opened. Honestly, that's a pretty low bar. I know the rapid tests aren't as accurate, but it's on the league to take every reasonable measure to reduce risk of exposure and that's pretty clearly a reasonable accommodation.

Yeah. The team was already only at preseason mode and have surely taken a step back during this long break in the schedule due to Covid. If this same thing doesn't happen to most other teams, I'm not sure I have enough faith in this team to be able to catch up to everyone else before mid-March.

You have a good point. Not only not playing but also not practicing while other teams are getting up to game speed and game shape.

FWIW, Dallas survived their shutdown OK ... at least for starters. They took their first two games of the season over Nashville by an aggregate score of 10-2.

Fair point. I guess the best thing you can say about the Hurricanes Covid situation is that it hit now and not in, say, April. A late hit like that could *really* derails a team's prospects.

But still, our boys got a *lot* of making up to do to get into regular season game shape.

Tomorrow’s game has been postponed, but no action taken on Thursday’s game. The league has rescheduled 6 games.

Jan. 19 game at Nashville is now March 2
Jan. 21 game vs. Florida is now Feb. 17
Jan. 23 game vs. Florida is now March 7
Jan. 26 game vs. TB now Feb. 22
Feb. 16 game vs. Columbus now Feb. 15
Feb. 22 at TB is now Feb. 24.

The schedule changes mean that--barring further changes, which seem likely--we will play 53 games in 100 days.

While that sounds brutal, it is about the same for Florida, Dallas, and Tampa.

The schedule changes mean that--barring further changes, which seem likely--we will play 53 games in 100 days.

While that sounds brutal, it is about the same for Florida, Dallas, and Tampa.
Yup ... further changes are all but a given, at the pace things are going. The internet is falling all over itself trying to blame the markets that have been impacted thus far like they're so much worse than everywhere else. But we all know that's horsecrap. Yeah, Florida and Texas do their own thing, but this virus is nothing if not merciless.

For all we know, the entirety of the Carolina COVID issues were due to our first series with the Red Wings and the infection being spread there, potentially by Red Wings players. The Red Wings can say the same thing about their COVID list being Carolina's fault. There is no way to really tell, so trying to blame individual markets is nuts.

Back