• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Miscellaneous Thread

Ah, indeed. Dallas and Chicago both can’t win out because they play each other twice. But that still wouldn’t quite get us there tonight because Dallas has a little leeway due to its fewer games played.

Simple solution: Just win, baby

Would be nice for some of these fourth place teams to fall by the wayside. We’ve got a number of games left with them and given the injury situation I’d rather them not be playing for a playoff spot.

Who is going to take Martinook's spot since he will be out a week or so.
If we were home, Shane Willis or Stormy. But on the road, McCormick, Shore are the forwards on the taxi squad or dress Bean and go with 11 forwards and 7 dmen.

Or maybe Teravainen is good to go. I don’t know if they’re practicing today but if they are and Turbo is a full participant, I bet that’s what happens.

I think this fanbase is still suffering PTSD from all the lean years.... this team isn't missing the playoffs.

We should have our sights set on winning the division, as well as VGK and the #1 overall seed

I think this fanbase is still suffering PTSD from all the lean years.... this team isn't missing the playoffs.

We should have our sights set on VGK and the #1 overall seed
We absolutely are...suffering from PTSD and going to make the playoffs. We’re not going to go to the wire, we’re going to make the playoffs with games to spare. And that’s an unusual situation.

We absolutely are...suffering from PTSD and going to make the playoffs. We’re not going to go to the wire, we’re going to make the playoffs with games to spare. And that’s an unusual situation.
Can't recall how the regular season ended for 08-09, but the last time that we coasted into the playoffs was 05-06. Sheesh!!

Can't recall how the regular season ended for 08-09, but the last time that we coasted into the playoffs was 05-06. Sheesh!!
The Canes clinched the playoffs in game 79, with an Anton Babchuk bomb in OT that beat the Pens.

We should have our sights set on winning the division, as well as VGK and the #1 overall seed
Oh this fanbase is 100% still showing the effects of the decade in the wilderness. The playoff chances geeks in the advanced stats community peg Carolina's playoff odds at 99.9% and there's probably some Chicken Little out there who's actually freaked out about that 00.01%

The real battle here is for 1st in the Division and it has been for a couple of months now. If you screw around and get the President's trophy, then fine ... but focus on winning the Division and let that fall where it may.

I said earlier the Presidents' Trophy would be nice, because we haven't won one yet... but I'll add that, given that historically the winner of that trophy is as likely to get dumped in the first round as it is to win the Stanley Cup, it's something you should look at fondly only after you've made some noise in the playoffs.

I said earlier the Presidents' Trophy would be nice, because we haven't won one yet... but I'll add that, given that historically the winner of that trophy is as likely to get dumped in the first round as it is to win the Stanley Cup, it's something you should look at fondly only after you've made some noise in the playoffs.
I'd still take it if we can win it!

While you're right about its correlation with winning the Cup--only eight of the 33 Presidents' Trophy winners have won the Cup, while seven of them have been bounced from the first round of the playoffs--the bottom line is that 26 of the 33 Presidents' Trophy winners have won at least one playoff round. Plus, a third of them (11) have made it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

I think this shows it correctly. The magic numbers are 2 over Nashville and 4 over Dallas. A Nashville regulation loss tonight puts them in the rear view mirror. Even if they win, a Canes win tomorrow does the same. A Canes win combined with a regulation loss by Dallas to Detroit tomorrow clinches.

NBC Sports thinks the Canes will clinch with a regulation win by the Hawks tonight.

I'd still take it if we can win it!

While you're right about its correlation with winning the Cup--only eight of the 33 Presidents' Trophy winners have won the Cup, while seven of them have been bounced from the first round of the playoffs--the bottom line is that 26 of the 33 Presidents' Trophy winners have won at least one playoff round. Plus, a third of them (11) have made it to the Stanley Cup Finals.
Oh. Absolutely. When presented with the chance to hang a legitimate banner, you hang the banner.

Ah, indeed. Dallas and Chicago both can’t win out because they play each other twice. But that still wouldn’t quite get us there tonight because Dallas has a little leeway due to its fewer games played.
NHL Public Relations says what you said originally, a Blackhawks win clinches for the Canes, but I don’t think that’s right.

It all starts with the assumption that the Canes lose out in regulation.

If Chicago wins out, they get to 67 points and 23 RW, which ties them with the Canes. Next tiebreaker is ROW, Chicago would have 29, the Canes 27. So they lose to Chicago in that scenario. Note that ROW excludes shootout wins, so they have to win out in regulation or OT.

Now on to Dallas. If Chicago wins out, they can’t, so let’s give them 8 wins to get to 66 points. If they get a loser point in one of the games against Chicago in OT, that gives them 67 points, tied with the Canes. Their 8 RW give them 24, 1 more than the Canes. Chicago would still have the ROW tiebreaker on the Canes.

NHL Public Relations says what you said originally, a Blackhawks win clinches for the Canes, but I don’t think that’s right.

It all starts with the assumption that the Canes lose out in regulation.

If Chicago wins out, they get to 67 points and 23 RW, which ties them with the Canes. Next tiebreaker is ROW, Chicago would have 29, the Canes 27. So they lose to Chicago in that scenario. Note that ROW excludes shootout wins, so they have to win out in regulation or OT.

Now on to Dallas. If Chicago wins out, they can’t, so let’s give them 8 wins to get to 66 points. If they get a loser point in one of the games against Chicago in OT, that gives them 67 points, tied with the Canes. Their 8 RW give them 24, 1 more than the Canes. Chicago would still have the ROW tiebreaker on the Canes.
Andy, I understand your math and it is convincing, as far as I understand the rules of the road. Not sure what rules the NHL is using, but isn't that always the case?

Back