• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Miscellaneous Thread

I'd still take it if we can win it!

While you're right about its correlation with winning the Cup--only eight of the 33 Presidents' Trophy winners have won the Cup, while seven of them have been bounced from the first round of the playoffs--the bottom line is that 26 of the 33 Presidents' Trophy winners have won at least one playoff round. Plus, a third of them (11) have made it to the Stanley Cup Finals.
So. The President’s Trophy winner has won the Cup 24% of the time. Someone else won it 76% of the time. There are 15 teams that were in the playoffs but did not win the PT. So that comes to a 1.7% chance to win it per not PT winner.

So let’s go for it.

Is my math right?

So. The President’s Trophy winner has won the Cup 24% of the time. Someone else won it 76% of the time. There are 15 teams that were in the playoffs but did not win the PT. So that comes to a 1.7% chance to win it per not PT winner.

So let’s go for it.

Is my math right?

Did you multiply by Pi?

President's Trophy... Division Title... you won't find me complaining about either.

Would certainly be interesting to win the Central Division title, considering that they likely will never have another shot at it once things realign... Kinda like if the Whalers had somehow won the Norris Division back in 1980.

Prince of Wales Trophy and Campbell Bowl, does anybody get them this year?
I don't think so since no conferences.. and theoretically the Central winner and the West winner could compete for the cup.. Since in the round of 4 they're ranked by points.

When we won it in 2002, the players refused to touch it, other than Francis, I believe, because he had to accept it from whoever gave it to him after they clinched. I think me and a couple of the equipment managers had our photos taken with it then it was silently ushered away somewhere far from the locker room.

When we won it in 2002, the players refused to touch it, other than Francis, I believe, because he had to accept it from whoever gave it to him after they clinched. I think me and a couple of the equipment managers had our photos taken with it then it was silently ushered away somewhere far from the locker room.
Yup. I have a picture on my office wall of Ronnie holding the trophy and both Wesley and Brind'Amour standing next to him looking like "put that thing DOWN, man"

LeBrun has a column at The Athletic today about the 5 coaches on expiring contracts. Obviously, RBA is one of them. He spoke to Dundon last week and Dundon said a deal will get done, but there is a gap. LeBrun previously said he thinks the salary has to at least start with a 2 and that’s still a bargain.

The others are Green in Vancouver, Blashill in Detroit, Tocchet in Arizona and Torts. Blashill and Tocchet weren’t hired by the team’s current GM. He thinks Tocchet leaves but has no feeling on Blashill. Yzerman picked up his option last summer and, as we well know from the games the Canes have played against them, they compete every night regardless of their talent level. He thinks Green stays and Torts leaves. As for the interim coaches, he thinks Ducharme stays in Montreal if they make the playoffs. Adams is taking his time in Buffalo. Francis is also taking his time in Seattle, maybe waiting to see who else comes available. LeBrun says that he believes that Francis talked to Gallant about a year ago. Gallant was hired by Vegas 6 about weeks after they made their last expansion payment and 2 months before the expansion draft. Seattle will make their last payment on April 30, so we should hear from them shortly thereafter, with the expansion draft coming up on July 21.

Adams and Francis would be logical candidates to poach Brindy if Dundon dawdles and cheaps out, and I think he'd be a fit for Stevie Y as well if Blashill's done in D-town.

It wouldn't shock me if Brindy ends up with what amounts to a bridge deal at a smaller rate than he would otherwise get. Flat cap, no real revenue for this season and huge player contract issues coming up are going to keep the purse pretty tight for the short term. Dundon won't want to spend any more than he absolutely has to, but I don't think anyone is really convinced that Rod wants to change markets.

Adams and Francis would be logical candidates to poach Brindy if Dundon dawdles and cheaps out.
Do you honestly think Rod Brind'Amour is going to go to Buffalo to oversee that nightmare? I could see him taking a call from Francis. But a call from Kevyn Adams better include an offer of a trip to Pinehurst.

Do you honestly think Rod Brind'Amour is going to go to Buffalo to oversee that nightmare? I could see him taking a call from Francis. But a call from Kevyn Adams better include an offer of a trip to Pinehurst.
I edited to add Detroit; I think he fits where they are perfectly moreso than Barfalo, but I would definitely expect KAds to make that call... and for whatever Pegulas lack in brains, they have in $$.

For now I'll just hope LeBrun has it right and it gets done here. Brindy's loyal to a fault, but not stupid though, so don't push it, TDCanes....

I edited to add Detroit; I think he fits where they are perfectly moreso than Barfalo, but I would definitely expect KAds to make that call... and for whatever Pegulas lack in brains, they have in $$.

For now I'll just hope LeBrun has it right and it gets done here. Brindy's loyal to a fault, but not stupid though, so don't push it, TDCanes....
Detroit ... more like it, but I still think he'd pass on a rebuild. Plus, I think Yzerman ends up sticking with Blashill. He's got them playing the style that Stevie likes and as Andy said ... they compete consistently, despite their limitations. Plus, he's shown that he can get something out of the offensive guys that they've brought in. Otherwise I'd say he was toast, but I'd call it 60/40 that he sticks for another contract if he doesn't push it on price.

Its kind of crazy that this discussion on Brind'Amour and his potential options is even necessary. This isn't something that I expect Brindy to want to focus any attention on until the final game of the playoffs is over, so I don't expect anything to get signed before then.

Brindy is the ONLY COACH IN FRANCHISE HISTORY to lead the team to the playoffs 3 years in row.

A 'gap'? Dundon has said a whole bunch of times that he wants to spend money on players and keep costs as low as possible on everything else. So yeah, I expect him to want to not spend a lot of money on the coach. And yes, I get that revenues suck and last year and this year's 2 playoff appearances are not really bringing in any extra money. But I really hope Dundon isn't dumb enough to think that he can roll in some guy willing to be head coach of this team on the cheap and expect that it won't impact our ability to win.

We are at a point where we have probably a good 2-4 year window of being one of the top 5 Cup favorites. It would be ridiculous to allow Brindy to walk over a contract dispute and turn over this Cup contender to some other guy just to save a buck. Especially if Brindy is merely looking for an 'average head coach salary'. I don't think he is asking for Joel Queneville or Mike Babcock money.

Don't get too cute here Dundon. This yacht needs someone the crew trusts and respects to captain it.

Its kind of crazy that this discussion on Brind'Amour and his potential options is even necessary. This isn't something that I expect Brindy to want to focus any attention on until the final game of the playoffs is over, so I don't expect anything to get signed before then.

Brindy is the ONLY COACH IN FRANCHISE HISTORY to lead the team to the playoffs 3 years in row.

A 'gap'? Dundon has said a whole bunch of times that he wants to spend money on players and keep costs as low as possible on everything else. So yeah, I expect him to want to not spend a lot of money on the coach. And yes, I get that revenues suck and last year and this year's 2 playoff appearances are not really bringing in any extra money. But I really hope Dundon isn't dumb enough to think that he can roll in some guy willing to be head coach of this team on the cheap and expect that it won't impact our ability to win.

We are at a point where we have probably a good 2-4 year window of being one of the top 5 Cup favorites. It would be ridiculous to allow Brindy to walk over a contract dispute and turn over this Cup contender to some other guy just to save a buck. Especially if Brindy is merely looking for an 'average head coach salary'. I don't think he is asking for Joel Queneville or Mike Babcock money.

Don't get too cute here Dundon. This yacht needs someone the crew trusts and respects to captain it.
But sometimes the Hurricanes can't help it. what's and Extra pass or 3 that then get broken up.. They too often (IMO) pass up the VG shot for the perfect shot. (That never comes)

Again, I think if we're not in a pandemic economy, this isn't an issue. And just because we're discussing options on a message board that doesn't make any of those options real. It'll more than likely get done. The timing is only relevant to those outside of the actual conversation.

Dundon is probably thinking of adding a clause to Brindy's new contract that states that the coach must be responsible for selling more ads on the boards. Or thinks that he can slot Mike Manaspellcheck in as coach. Dumb voice: "He seems like he knows what he's talking about and the guys seem to like him. He can coach and announce the game on TV, but he if wants more money than what he's getting now, he needs to sell more ads on the uniforms."

Back